56 replies to this topic

#21 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

I'm not familiar with the steel. How is it to sharpen, for corrosion reistance etc?
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#22 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

I'm not familiar with the steel. How is it to sharpen, for corrosion reistance etc?

I haven't had to sharpen it yet. From all that I've read, it'll take a new edge fairly well. Apparently it's the same kind of steel used to make car bumpers.
  • Stupendous Walrus likes this

#23 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

Hmm. Cool.

#24 Spike Jones

Spike Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

Got myself a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe a few years ago, can't speak highly enough.

Only problem is, I now want another - maybe bigger. Anyone got an suggestions from their range?

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#25 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

Got myself a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe a few years ago, can't speak highly enough.

Only problem is, I now want another - maybe bigger. Anyone got an suggestions from their range?

First off, welcome to everydaycarry.com forums!  Don't forget to post in the Introduction thread so we can all give you a nice, warm welcome!

Second, I also have the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe - It's incredible.  I wish I had others in their line as well, but not yet.

#26 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

Definitely the Scandinavian Forest Axe. Great, mid size and weight. Big enough to chop down whatever you may need, but small enough to make some kindling or field dress your dinner.

#27 Harshit Gupta

Harshit Gupta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:33 PM

Gerber Axes are also seems to be good for adventurous trips like camping, trekking, hiking.

When you think of something, Go for it.......

Love to Carry victorinox trekking Knives and leatherman multitools for outdoors survival.

#28 Rey Leon

Rey Leon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationGunbarrel Highway

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

I like the idea of a tomahawk for light weight and ease of carrying around.

http://www.hardcoreh...dware/mfe01.php

TOOL_0000_MFE01.png

http://www.bawidaman...ripspreorder1b/

E544AA.JPG

http://www.rmjtactic...ather-tomahawk/

2yjy45f.jpg

• Stupendous Walrus and Andrew Cohen like this

#29 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:23 PM

I do own a hawk and keep it in my truck. But I only paid about $70 for it. They're a pretty good tool overall, kind of a split between a good wood craft knife and an axe. But I could never see myself dropping that kind of coin on one. 

#30 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

I do own a hawk and keep it in my truck. But I only paid about $70 for it. They're a pretty good tool overall, kind of a split between a good wood craft knife and an axe. But I could never see myself dropping that kind of coin on one.

Word. I have always been under the impression that they're more of a breaching tool/fighting axe.

I was at Lee Valley the other day and came seriously close to buying about four Gransfors...ugh it was a testament to will power.
  • Mel R. likes this

#31 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:55 PM

I remember seeing a Special Forces Soldier speak of his hatchet as his most valued tool. In a home, or a vehicle it can be used to extricate a person. It can be used as a defensive tool, process firewood, game, heck even shave with it if you put on the right type of edge, build a shelter and the list goes on.

What I have is an Estwing hatchet. They are made from a single piece of steel so they absolutely will not break when you need them the most.

Estwing has really expanded their line of hatchets and axes recently and offer varying sizes, colors and now even double sided axes.

http://www.estwing.c...xes_outdoor.php

AO_leather_axe.jpg

• Andrew Cohen likes this

#32 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:28 AM

E88074ED-34A4-4B67-940A-5CB055CE839D_zps

#33 Donald McNany

Donald McNany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

Not really EDC unless you are in the woods most of the time.
I DO have a medium size axe & a hand axe in the SUV and a Fasthawk on the GHB, though.

#34 Grey Endres

Grey Endres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:20 PM

I've got a Granfors Bruks Forest Axe and I love it. Not only am I supporting a great company but I have a durable handmade axe that will be around to give to my son and his offspring. Win-win!

#35 Tim Kramer

Tim Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

I don't own one of these but met the guy who makes them and got to hold one. It's really rad. He cuts these with a water jet cutter! 

Anyway, check out the Frost Axe by TradLabs: http://www.tradlabs.com/frostaxe/

• Andrew Cohen likes this

- Tim Kramer

Social Media Content at Saddleback Leather

www.saddlebackleather.com

#36 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

I've got a Granfors Bruks Forest Axe and I love it. Not only am I supporting a great company but I have a durable handmade axe that will be around to give to my son and his offspring. Win-win!

The Husqvarna axes are made by GB. Same quality by the same people in the same foundry at less than half the price!

#37 Nicholas

Nicholas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:56 AM

Sorry imma little late to the party for this reply. But eastwing (the hammer company) makes two great options. One is hatchet size. Fits great in my bug out / hiking bag. And a larger option that is essentially a medium sized axe.

#38 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:34 AM

Just saw this on Sierra Trading Post- Morakniv Axe and Fixed Blade kit-$48.89 http://www.sierratra...m/knives~d~130/

I think that will get you there. I have no affiliation with the store, axe, etc. I just know I can find some good deals at STP. Although I gotta, those handles are hella bright. Might want some shades to go with the axe.

#39 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:38 AM

I like the idea of a tomahawk for light weight and ease of carrying around.

http://www.hardcoreh...dware/mfe01.php

TOOL_0000_MFE01.png

http://www.bawidaman...ripspreorder1b/

E544AA.JPG

http://www.rmjtactic...ather-tomahawk/

2yjy45f.jpg

So, that center one? Looks great, but I can't help thinking, where's Gimli? The only problem with those hawks is I'd be tempted to test drive one on a door at home.

#40 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

First off, welcome to everydaycarry.com forums!  Don't forget to post in the Introduction thread so we can all give you a nice, warm welcome!

Second, I also have the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe - It's incredible.  I wish I had others in their line as well, but not yet.

I am brand new to axes being a city dweller, but recently got a home with some woods and wanted to invest in an axe.  I foresee using it primarily for wood chopping, processing logs for firewood, etc.  Would you recommend this Gransfors for that? It's expensive, but I don't mind paying up for a quality piece of equipment that will last with care.  I've seen videos of people using it for other bushcraft tasks like feather sticks, but I use my Mora for that.

I had also read some good things about the Hultafors Classic Hunters Axe, but again, my knowledge on axes is essentially none.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users