53 replies to this topic

#1 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

An indispensable tool not only for survival and camping, but even at home. There are some great brands out there, but for my money, nothing beats a Gransfors Bruk tool. Best Made have some stellar products as well. I grew up with wood stoves for heat, campfires galore, and still primarily hest my pad with a fireplace. Chopping wood for fires, clearing dead wood (I live backing onto a forest) etc.

However, does anybody factor an axe into their Bug Out options? Not the most compact of items, but for all those applications, they still make a formidable weapon. If you know what you're doing, you can even dress your kills in the wilderness. Not to mention it can function as an impact tool as well.

Thoughts?
  • Marc and Chris Szaroleta like this

#2 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

An indispensable tool not only for survival and camping, but even at home. There are some great brands out there, but for my money, nothing beats a Gransfors Bruk tool. Best Made have some stellar products as well. I grew up with wood stoves for heat, campfires galore, and still primarily hest my pad with a fireplace. Chopping wood for fires, clearing dead wood (I live backing onto a forest) etc.

However, does anybody factor an axe into their Bug Out options? Not the most compact of items, but for all those applications, they still make a formidable weapon. If you know what you're doing, you can even dress your kills in the wilderness. Not to mention it can function as an impact tool as well.

Thoughts?

My thoughts mirror yours.  I bought a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe last year.  It was one of the happiest I've ever been with a purchase of any kind.  Unsurpassable quality.  And the fact that it comes with a pamphlet that has all of the blacksmiths listed and I can visually see the the dude who made my axe, makes it even better.  

As for a bug out bag, it would be tough to get one large enough to fell a decent sized tree without the heft of the axe being too much.  I still really like that little guy that Mora makes.  

• Stupendous Walrus and John B. like this

#3 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:40 PM

In a bug out situation, I'm imsgining potentially more than just the bare minimum bag. There are certainly ways to lash it onto the side of a bsg.

Did you know they make Gransfors in the same building they started in? You can also go and take blacksmithing courses with them, stay there and make your own axe. Sounds like a dream trip to me.

Edit: I'm going to buy one of those Moras. Way cool!
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#4 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

Those Mora's are SUPER cool.  The size/weight, quality and price...unbeatable! 

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#5 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

Do you have one?

#6 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

Do you have one?

Of course!

#7 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

Review please!

#8 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:16 PM

Review please!

I'll put something together for you.   ;)

#9 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:35 PM

Hurray! Thanks. Really love the look of it.

#10 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:00 PM

I have an M48 Tomahawk from United Cutlery. It does the job for small stuff and is lightweight, but I'd like to get a proper axe without the pick on the end...that thing could be pretty dangerous in the backcountry.  :wacko:

UC2765.JPGSorry for the stock photo...mine's under a bunch of crap in the back of my car. Ha! 

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#11 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:46 PM

I have an M48 Tomahawk from United Cutlery. It does the job for small stuff and is lightweight, but I'd like to get a proper axe without the pick on the end...that thing could be pretty dangerous in the backcountry. 

You know who it's really dangerous for?  The zombies you'll eventually destroy with it.

• Stupendous Walrus, John B., Marc and 1 other like this

#12 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:43 PM

You know who it's really dangerous for?  The zombies you'll eventually destroy with it.

True, the hardest part of the zombie apocalypse would be pretending that I'm not excited!  :ph34r:

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta and Andrew Cohen like this

#13 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:27 AM

True, the hardest part of the zombie apocalypse would be pretending that I'm not excited! :ph34r:

:o

#14 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:29 AM

I have an M48 Tomahawk from United Cutlery. It does the job for small stuff and is lightweight, but I'd like to get a proper axe without the pick on the end...that thing could be pretty dangerous in the backcountry.  :wacko:
UC2765.JPGSorry for the stock photo...mine's under a bunch of crap in the back of my car. Ha!

A good axe isn't cheap, but one of my main axes is an heirloom from my father. I don't even know what make, but it is almost 25 years old, have done everything from demolish railroad ties to chopping holes in northern Ontario ice and everything in between. With a quick swipe of a Speedee Sharp it can shave hair off your arm.

My point is, spend the bucks and buy a Gransfors. :D
  • John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#15 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

A good axe isn't cheap, but one of my main axes is an heirloom from my father. I don't even know what make, but it is almost 25 years old, have done everything from demolish railroad ties to chopping holes in northern Ontario ice and everything in between. With a quick swipe of a Speedee Sharp it can shave hair off your arm.

My point is, spend the bucks and buy a Gransfors. :D

That's awesome!

Yeah, I did a quick Google search of that name....whew...those prices...haha. 

#16 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

Want a high end absolutely fantastic axe at a realistic price, go find a vintage Collinsville Legitimus. They're usually available on ebay, or you may get lucky and pick one up at a tag sale. By any standards, they're high end cutters made to work. I have my grandfathers double bit, and I was able to pick up another head about 5 ears ago. It takes a razor edge and holds it, the head design will take huge chips out when felling, and it'll split like a demon. I bought the head for $80 and installed a new handle. $100 got me an axe that runs $300 these days.

#17 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

Want a high end absolutely fantastic axe at a realistic price, go find a vintage Collinsville Legitimus. They're usually available on ebay, or you may get lucky and pick one up at a tag sale. By any standards, they're high end cutters made to work. I have my grandfathers double bit, and I was able to pick up another head about 5 ears ago. It takes a razor edge and holds it, the head design will take huge chips out when felling, and it'll split like a demon. I bought the head for $80 and installed a new handle. $100 got me an axe that runs $300 these days.

Way cool!

#18 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:38 PM

Here you go, Walrus!

tumblr_nlbw9dWjOn1u25gmmo1_540.jpg

Barely swung it at this stump and it dug in a quarter inch no problem.

#19 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

Yeah I'm gonna pick one of these up. Look super awesome for the money.

#20 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

Yeah I'm gonna pick one of these up. Look super awesome for the money.

You wouldn't be wrong about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users