37 replies to this topic

#1 Rocknrope

Rocknrope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hey guys,

Anyone have one of these?  I was looking at a midsized EDC pack that isn't a briefcase or a backpack, and came across this bag.  I didn't see it on the site or forums anywhere so I thought I'd throw it up here.  

http://www.man-pack.com/ .  Aside from the terrible name, it looks pretty nice.

I'm considering this or the bolstr (http://www.koyono.com/bolstr-edc-bags)( for the spring/summer EDC carry.  Both are similar in that they don't look too "tactical", can have a nice variety of carry options, and price range.

R

• John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#2 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

I saw the man pack on sharktank, I think they shot it down, but i cant remember.  The name is as you said, pretty terrible.    The Bolstr in my opinion looks like a purse.  But i'm not one to carry a bag like this around all day.  I actually just picked up a 5.11 Tactical LIMA messenger bag and so far it's great, a lot of pockets i probably won't use though.  It also has an unnecessary amount of velcro in spots that it doesnt need. 

• Gusto likes this

#3 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

That has a zero % chance of coming home with me. I'm with Chris. I use the 511 rush, but in the smaller Mike size. Been using it every day for almost a month now, and love it. 

#4 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

Again, the name is just wretched, BUT........

I don't entirely despise the simplistic design, with the exception of the admin area being on the outside.  That just seems dumb.  I could never have a decent pen out there, otherwise it get swiped. 

• John B., Mikey Bautista and Rocknrope like this

#5 Joe Moffatt

Joe Moffatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

check out these on woot today

http://sport.woot.com/?ref=gh_sp_6#

• Chris Szaroleta and Rocknrope like this

#6 RKS

RKS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

No, thank you, even if I was into slings (which I'm not). The only thing he needs is some slick enticing commercial about a bunch of meatheads bro-fisting each other and "rockin" their Man-Packs.

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta, coldwater and 2 others like this

#7 Joe Moffatt

Joe Moffatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:51 AM

No, thank you, even if I was into slings (which I'm not). The only thing he needs is some slick enticing commercial about a bunch of meatheads bro-fisting each other and "rockin" their Man-Packs.

LOL

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta and Vanessa Kitty like this

#8 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:40 PM

LOL

LOL indeed. that shit was poetry. 

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#9 happy

happy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

Ok I feel bad for this guy now. I can tell he is just trying to sell his product, but that video....it's like he's faking too hard to be a man - except he is a man. 

I think I would have gotten a better impression about this man bag if he just presented in a normal voice.

Nevertheless, I can appreciate the appeal of this bag. I too, prefer EDC bags that don't look tacticool. I have no intentions of carrying enough stuff to save the world nor do I want to advertise it.

I see so many bags on any given day on the subway, this one would blend right in. To me, it's a good thing.  

• Chris Szaroleta and Rocknrope like this

#10 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:08 AM

Rocknrope, if you're looking for a sling, but not a messenger bag, 5.11 rush moab is a good one. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and love it! However, it is a bit tactical looking, so it might not be something you're interested in. 5.11 makes great quality stuff though! 

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#11 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

A sling? Maxpedition. Best ones I've ever seen. Browning Black Label have some cool stuff in that area as well.

#12 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

There's a few fatal flaws for my use. The material appears to be suspect as far as durability, I don't want my "stuff" hanging outside the pack, the snap closure is nothing I'm willing to deal with, and that side opening for the large pouch is terrible. I can see a way to high probability of unzipping that thing only to have everything fall out if it. Same for a firearm pouch.  

• Chris Szaroleta and Moose like this

#13 Rocknrope

Rocknrope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for keeping the discussion going, guys, and thanks for the suggestions.  As others guessed, I feel like there's a time and a place for the "tacticool" look, and for me, my workaday and my family time outtings just aren't it.  There's gotta be a solution for a minimalist bag that takes care of the gear, but doesn't have molle webbing running all over the darn thing.   I'll keep an eye out and if I decide to go with either, I'll post my thoughts so y'all can point and laugh. ;)

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#14 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for keeping the discussion going, guys, and thanks for the suggestions.  As others guessed, I feel like there's a time and a place for the "tacticool" look, and for me, my workaday and my family time outtings just aren't it.  There's gotta be a solution for a minimalist bag that takes care of the gear, but doesn't have molle webbing running all over the darn thing.   I'll keep an eye out and if I decide to go with either, I'll post my thoughts so y'all can point and laugh. ;)

I agree. Personally I'm a massive Osprey fan. I don't know if this suits your criteria exactly, but check out their Portal Nano and Portal Beta series. http://www.ospreypac...active_everyday

I've beaten the living hell out of my Osprey bags with nary a scratch. The Beta is actually next on my list for my EDC work bag.
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#15 kwelsh

kwelsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:28 PM

Don't think I would ever buy the man pack. I picked up a Maxpedition Sitka so I can carry my laptop and tools for work and have been very happy with it.

#16 Rocknrope

Rocknrope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:37 PM

Here's another interesting smaller gear bag.  I like the minimalist design and the separate storage for sneakers, even though it's a backpack, which is not what I was looking for.  Wish there were more internal pocks for storage, but I guess that's what maxpedition mini and micros are for...

https://www.kickstar...e-cit?ref=users

#17 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

Here's another interesting smaller gear bag.  I like the minimalist design and the separate storage for sneakers, even though it's a backpack, which is not what I was looking for.  Wish there were more internal pocks for storage, but I guess that's what maxpedition mini and micros are for...

https://www.kickstar...e-cit?ref=users

It's a simple, yet functional design.  I like it.  Still, I'd want to see a water bottle holder on the outside.

• Moose likes this

#18 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:14 AM

direct response

go to your favorite place for military surplus, mine is keepshooting.com, and look up map cases, gas mask bags, and even a mussette bag or a bread bag.  either US made, or CHEAP.  some of these are as functional as the stuff mentioned, and more unique, and under ten bucks

philosophy

I have this bag from LL bean or Eddie bauer or some such, it's a goodwill haul, but it's BLUE the boy color, HAS a bottle holder for my kleen kanteen, has a strap so attach it to rolling luggage, and is overall the size of a large fanny... and my wife still says it looks like a purse, and she's right.  SO it is for this reason(they all look like pocketbooks even if made from leather or ripstop) that I say no smaller than 15L a day pack that a laptop would fit in.  I need to bring a binder full of nonsense to my current work so I just went back to a sling I had lying around.  I've demoted the blue bag to indoor-range/ pistol bag.  

• Mel R. and Moose like this

#19 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

Great idea for about using surplus items, and thanks for posting that site...great gear there!

#20 Benjamin Hawk Duncan

Benjamin Hawk Duncan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

I have and use a Bolstr. It is pretty inconspicuous, so I use that when I'm doing something where I don't want to use my more tactical EDC bag.

In the cons category, it's pretty small. But can definitely handle a phone, wallet, keys and some smallish items. It is also slightly more on the man-purse side of aesthetics than I'd like, but only very slightly so. The asymmetrical build helps offset the "purse" look admirably.

In the pros category, it's a sturdy bag. The zippers are waterproof and the overall quality of buckles, etc. is high. Also a decent number of color options.

All that said, I tend to use a Maxpedition Sitka or Falcon II for my EDC. The Bolstr is just too small for me. But I'm a packrat,

Regards,

-Ben

• Mel R. likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bags, man-pack, man purse, bolstr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users