4 replies to this topic

#1 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

Any Experience postive or negative with Les Stroud Survival gear?  Getting three pieces from a facebook contest I won. Folding Knife, Machete and hatchet.

My EDC

sortitapps-black.png

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

There was a time when Camillus blades were second to none.  Solid build, good steel and made to last. The old models still have a good following and bring decent money for good examples. I believe they even produced knives for other big name makers, like Buck, but I'm not 100% sure on that. They were bought out some time ago by some mega buyer of all things that come cheap but enjoy a good name, so they can ride out the reputation. Where they are made today is something I don't know, nor do I know of the current quality. My impression (coming strictly from price point) tells me that they are middle of the road, but I could be wrong on that. Either way, free swag is nothing to turn down! 

#3 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

I have one camilus fixed blade and it seems pretty durable. Not a lot of use out of it but works well. Extra additions to my bug out bag at least. Only have a few fixed blades. Mostly folders

My EDC

sortitapps-black.png

#4 Highlander

Highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

the old ones were usa made, the new ones are china made, qc on some are iffy, they are not a hard use knife anymore but ok in quality 

#5 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

I have no experience with these but it sounds and looks more like a marketing thing akin to Gerber's Bear Grylls. They are probably comparable in quality. That said, Camillus knives these days are geared for the mass market at the big box store and are ok in quality. They won’t be your goto for quality fixed blades

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users