72 replies to this topic

#41 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the invaluable info Shaun. I haven't typically liked pre built kits and find myself swapping stuff out incessantly, but these Adventure Medical kits are really on a different level all together,

#42 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

Thanks man...sadly i realise i forgot some stuff that should have been a no brainer. Saline and Centramide

• Stupendous Walrus and Sam Quint like this

#43 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:48 AM

Thanks man...sadly i realise i forgot some stuff that should have been a no brainer. Saline and Centramide

Always happens. The AM kits have quantities printed on the outer bag. (They have a sealable, waterproof inner bag). I really am very impressed with their products. Especially for the price. The quality of the actual items is well above standard as well. I will be adding shears to it, and probably swapping items later in the summer when I complete an Advanced Wound Care course.

#44 Rey Leon

Rey Leon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationGunbarrel Highway

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

CHAPSTICK

• Moisturize your lips - obvious, but important if you're low on water

• Coat or protect abrasions or shallow cuts

• Mix with ash to make sunblock

Plus

• Combine with fine tinder to help kickstart a fire

• General lubricant

HONEY SACHETS

• To treat wounds - it keeps germs at bay and might help with healing

• Plus in a pinch it's a high energy calorie source, and honey is the only food that will never go out of date.

• Stupendous Walrus and Mel R. like this

#45 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

Never in a million years would I have thought about honey sachets! Chapstick, if not living directly in my pocket is in my EDC bag. I did add a 5-pack of souble sided safety razors to my first aid kit. Not sure why, but seemed like it might be useful and I had a bunch of sample packs laying around.
  • Mel R. and Rey Leon like this

#46 Rey Leon

Rey Leon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:05 AM

Never in a million years would I have thought about honey sachets! Chapstick, if not living directly in my pocket is in my EDC bag. I did add a 5-pack of souble sided safety razors to my first aid kit. Not sure why, but seemed like it might be useful and I had a bunch of sample packs laying around.

I bought a handful of these cheap, concealable devices which are a razor blade turned into a simple folder. The idea being that you can slip one into the back brand loop of your jeans or somewhere inconspicuous, and reach it if someone has tied you up or you've been searched.

http://www.vigilantg...-utility-knife/

These are seriously sharp, like all razors I guess. I was testing it out cutting paracord and accidentally brushed against it while reaching for something. It just sank into the meat of my thumb with no resistance at all, with a slice so fine that it took 3-4 seconds before the blood and pain started.

#47 Rey Leon

Rey Leon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

Another thing I want to start wearing is a ball chain necklace with a tag engraved or stamped with my basic medical and contact details. Name, blood type etc.

Would be interested to hear from any ex-servicemen or women - whether they think civilians using faux dog tags for other purposes come across as wankers, or if they could care less.

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#48 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

Another thing I want to start wearing is a ball chain necklace with a tag engraved or stamped with my basic medical and contact details. Name, blood type etc.

Would be interested to hear from any ex-servicemen or women - whether they think civilians using faux dog tags for other purposes come across as wankers, or if they could care less.

If they do feel that way, screw 'em. Anything that provides potentially life saving information is worth use by anyone and everyone; Elitists be damned.

#49 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

Some will, some don't give a crap. I never got all panty twisted over the whole stolen valor thing. However, dog tags suck. There's better ways to carry that info. You get tore up well enough to where you need emergency care and you can't impart that information, someone is going diggin in your wallet.

#50 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

Some will, some don't give a crap. I never got all panty twisted over the whole stolen valor thing. However, dog tags suck. There's better ways to carry that info. You get tore up well enough to where you need emergency care and you can't impart that information, someone is going diggin in your wallet.

I believe I've mentioned before about guys getting things like blood type and other permanent info tattooed on themselves. That usually takes a while to come off. Also, you can get medical alert braclets engraved with ANY info, and that is a more widely recognized source of vital info.

Agreed on the wallet; do up a card with whatever information you want known, LAMINATE it, and make it easy to identify in your wallet. I used to have something like that until the Godawful provincial government decided everyone's medical files should be on the fucking internet.

#51 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

I went to a patient a few weeks back who was to put it bluntly...very dead.

Now while there was nothing we could do for him we needed his info, so right for the wallet we went (with police permission), in it was all the normal stuff and a bright red card with all of his medications, medical conditions, contact information and half a life story. A hell of a lot better then a set of dog tags.

Needless to say...when we got back to the station i set about knocking one up for myself.

• Stupendous Walrus and Rey Leon like this

#52 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

Now while there was nothing we could do for him we needed his info, so right for the wallet we went (with police permission), in it was all the normal stuff and a bright red card with all of his medications, medical conditions, contact information and half a life story. A hell of a lot better then a set of dog tags.

Needless to say...when we got back to the station i set about knocking one up for myself.

A damn shame. I started going through school to be an EMT but found it increasingly difficult to deal with the prospect of NOT being able to help and ended up putting my studies on hold.

#53 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:00 AM

another good alternative if you have an iPhone is the medical ID feature built into the health app. You can list all the kind of stuff a first responder might need there without allowing access to the rest of the phone (you know..just in-case you don't want us to see your naked selfies)

• Todd Davis likes this

#54 Rey Leon

Rey Leon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

I think you're probably right. My problem is I generally don't carry a wallet on me anymore.

I have my wallet contents in my EDC carry pouch, and if something happens to me,

there's a good chance it will leave my grip and end up who knows where.

Something that has a good chance of being on me is my preference.

If I just had the card in the pocket of my pants, would anyone frisk me?

The tattoo idea above isn't bad, but I'm not sure where I'd put it so that

it would be noticed under all circumstances - that's not across my forehead.

#55 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

I think you're probably right. My problem is I generally don't carry a wallet on me anymore.
I have my wallet contents in my EDC carry pouch, and if something happens to me,

The tattoo thing is more for people that are, for example diabetic or have allergies.

It also helps if you're a tattoo fan.

A good card just tucked into a pocket will likely be found. Any medical training I've had has mentioned appropriate searching for I.D., but I'm not an EMT like some of these guys, so listen to them.
  • Rey Leon likes this

#56 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:27 PM

Get one of these, or something like it. http://www.roadid.com/

The problem with getting a tattoo is the permanency. If your info changes, updating or changing the tattoo is not a quick fix.
  • Rey Leon likes this

#57 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:30 PM

Again...we're talking about things that don't change, like certain diseases and blood types etc for tattoos.
  • Rey Leon likes this

#58 J smith

J smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

I don't think you folks have heard about the 50+ year old, not for profit, service oraganization , the MedicAlert Foundation. Medical notification necklace and wrist medallions , as well as wallet cards. Updatable, as needed.
Medallions have basic ID info and most important medical info, e.g. "Insulin dependent diabetic". They also have your assigned personal ID number & a toll free phone number. ER, etc. can call the number and get detailed medical, doctor, & family contact info you have pre- registered. The wallet card has more detailed contact info, medication list / extra medical detail, Doctor contact info & insurance info, all if you want to list it.
EMS routinely looks for MedicAlert tags/ cards. It's not expensive and it's a not for profit. I started wearing a necklace decades ago because I carried no ID on while jogging. Now I've upgraded to Life Member to get free lifetime updates. MedicAlert beats all the alternatives , IMO.

#59 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:22 PM

I don't think you folks have heard about the 50+ year old, not for profit, service oraganization , the MedicAlert Foundation. Medical notification necklace and wrist medallions , as well as wallet cards. Updatable, as needed.
Medallions have basic ID info and most important medical info, e.g. "Insulin dependent diabetic". They also have your assigned personal ID number & a toll free phone number. ER, etc. can call the number and get detailed medical, doctor, & family contact info you have pre- registered. The wallet card has more detailed contact info, medication list / extra medical detail, Doctor contact info & insurance info, all if you want to list it.
EMS routinely looks for MedicAlert tags/ cards. It's not expensive and it's a not for profit. I started wearing a necklace decades ago because I carried no ID on while jogging. Now I've upgraded to Life Member to get free lifetime updates. MedicAlert beats all the alternatives , IMO.

It's been mentioned in some of our ID discussions. I think we're after alternatives here.

#60 Zach Glass

Zach Glass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:50 PM

i like to have a first aid kit for when i go to the desert or shooting range,

so 

isreali bandages

butteryfly strips

sprints

regular bandages

sport wrap

gauze

bandaids

bendadryl ( good for alergic reactions to bites)

electrolites

water

stomach meds

regular medication ( i get chronic migraines so i take specific meds)

pain meds 

shears, razor blade

gloves ( non latex)

ice pack

bandanna

whatever else you can think of.

in arizona it gets hot so you gotta be safe about that. also went to a gun range a few years ago with my girl, she got a cut from the slide of her pistol cutting her hand. the range couldn't find their first aid kid. and this was ben avery in arizona a very well known range. so i go to our truck and get the first aid kit.

now i come prepared.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users