4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:27 AM

PD EDB - Tacticool Attachment

I use the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L as my daily carry and thought it'd be fun to make a MOLLE panel (more like a diaper) for it.
Had some spare materials laying around so I came up with this.

I didn't have any shorter/smaller clips, otherwise I would have fit in another row or two of MOLLE to cover more of the front. At the moment I use it for carrying a Nitecore MH2A and a Leatherman Wave.

The panel is removable so the external carry straps are still usable when needed. Does not get in the way of side access zippers.

So far I am quite pleased with it. At the very least, it's a differentiator from all the other PD EDB out there on the streets.

Attached Files

• Kirk McGuire likes this

#2 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

Awesome, man! I would have been scared to touch it being so expensive. I love my messenger, in light gray. Are you jelly because they have all black now? ;)

#3 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:20 AM

Awesome, man! I would have been scared to touch it being so expensive. I love my messenger, in light gray. Are you jelly because they have all black now? ;)

That's why I didn't wanna stitch or do anything permanent to it. Hence the attachment type thing.

I am mad jelly of the black version!!! All black hardware with the tan interior is beautiful. Should have came out with that in the first place  :( . If only there was some type of trade in program...

#4 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:00 AM

Oh I see now. I didn't know the bag already came with those loops.Great find on that molle panel. You should post a link to where you got it from in case someone else wants to mod theirs. 

I also love the black, but probably would still get the gray with blue interior since that is my messenger. I equally think that combination is beautiful too. I'm still on the fence on how items would fit with triple access points that aren't using the dividers or strictly for non camera gear use.

How do you use yours? Any cons?

#5 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:25 AM

I cut off a panel from an old china knockoff tactical vest which I used to wear for airsoft (way back in the day). 

Something like this: http://www.classicar...om/product/e060

The triple access is good. There was a little bit of a learning curve for me on how to use it and it required some time to figure out a system/workflow. But once I got my own system down it is very rewarding.

Usually I would sling the backpack around my right shoulder and open it from there. It's also that side where the key leash is so that's convenient. Only time I would open both side access is when I'm packing a lot of stuff in it before I head out.

The dividers are useful even for non camera stuff. Sometimes I would use it to separate gym clothes from my lunch and then another section for laptop accessories.

Without the dividers, it's a pretty decent volume inside. But usually I don't have to rearrange the dividers that much and if I do, it's easy enough to change it up. The expandable top closure is great.

Overall, the biggest con for me is the weight. I find this bag to be quite heavy on its own. I guess that's the trade off between protection and weight.

Although, that trade off is worth it for me as I can just dump my camera gear in without extra pouches or anything.

• Franklion likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: peak design, molle, everyday backpack, molle panel, diy, tacticool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users