#1 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:59 PM

What's your favorite knife steel?

Currently, mine is AUS 8, it's my first experience with it on my rat 2 and I love it. Ontario did a great job on it. Holds an edge decently enough...although I run it on a steel every other day, but always comes back hair popping sharp.

Keep in mind, I have owned, sharpened, and used plenty of knife steels from 8cr13mov to m390, so I wasn't expecting AUS 8 to impress me a whole lot, especially since I know a guy who bashes it like no other. I honestly feel a bit dumb for not buying this knife sooner, as I really love the steel.

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#2 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

154CM or S30V.
  • KlaudeMarks likes this
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#3 Highlander

Highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

Infi 

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

At this point, I have to say 154CM steel. I find it holds a solid edge for a good length of time, and is reasonably easy to dress an edge back into shape. Any harder, and it takes too long to get it back to razor edge.

#5 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

At this point, I have to say 154CM steel. I find it holds a solid edge for a good length of time, and is reasonably easy to dress an edge back into shape. Any harder, and it takes too long to get it back to razor edge.

Good point. Also, it's usually more affordable than other knife steels.
  • coldwater likes this

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#6 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

Good point. Also, it's usually more affordable than other knife steels.

Very true. It has become a standard offering with most good makers at this point. I look at my knives as having to be field dressed rather than an at home process. I keep a  sharpener in my EDC bag and usually end up dressing my blades after use, usually not at my house.

#7 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

Very true. It has become a standard offering with most good makers at this point. I look at my knives as having to be field dressed rather than an at home process. I keep a sharpener in my EDC bag and usually end up dressing my blades after use, usually not at my house.

I like wise find myself touching up with a fine stone or hitting it on a steel before work. Once it gets to where honing won't get it where I need, I'll break out THE stones

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#8 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

I like wise find myself touching up with a fine stone or hitting it on a steel before work. Once it gets to where honing won't get it where I need, I'll break out THE stones

I'll let you in on my secret. 30 years ago at a gun show in Charlotte NC, I bought a cheap sharpener from a vendor. It's called an edge maker, and it is the absolute best sharpener I have since owned. In fact, I'm still using the original one. It hangs out in my EDC bag and will dress a blade to a razor in a couple of passes. I was surprised to see that they are still being made today, and they have extended their product line to include a full set from re profile to polish. I think I'll have to pick up a full set. 

#9 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:20 PM

I'll let you in on my secret. 30 years ago at a gun show in Charlotte NC, I bought a cheap sharpener from a vendor. It's called an edge maker, and it is the absolute best sharpener I have since owned. In fact, I'm still using the original one. It hangs out in my EDC bag and will dress a blade to a razor in a couple of passes. I was surprised to see that they are still being made today, and they have extended their product line to include a full set from re profile to polish. I think I'll have to pick up a full set. 

I looked that up, reminds me of the Sharpens Best products. That guy has some convincing videos

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#10 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

I looked that up, reminds me of the Sharpens Best products. That guy has some convincing videos

I laughed at the guy when he hawked us in and started in with his pitch. It looked like a plastic novelty toy and I told him so. He asked for my pocket knife, and I handed it over. I thought it was sharp until he gave it a couple of passes on that thing. I bought it on the spot. 

#11 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

I laughed at the guy when he hawked us in and started in with his pitch. It looked like a plastic novelty toy and I told him so. He asked for my pocket knife, and I handed it over. I thought it was sharp until he gave it a couple of passes on that thing. I bought it on the spot.

What exactly is the material? The sharpens best tool is, I think, carbide? I could be totally wrong, but I feel like I heard that in one of the videos. Your product could be totally different from it, though.

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#12 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

I have seen (and actually have) a carbide that you run down the edge of a blade to realign the edge, and it works pretty well. The edge maker is as simple as a baseball bat. It's 2 small grooved steels like any standard kitchen knife steel sharpener. They're set into the handle at an optimum angle, and all you do is drag the blade through them. It also puts an edge on serrated knives in seconds.  When the steels quit cutting hard, you just take pliers and turn them slightly and you're good to go. When you use up that side, pull them out, turn them over, and stick them back in for another full rotation. In all the years I have had mine, I still haven't flipped mine over. I kid you not when I tell you it is my first line of sharpeners. I have a workshop, a spider unit, a number of diamond and arkansas stones in a bunch of grits, and I reach for this little edge maker every time.

#13 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:54 PM

I have to admit, since realizing that daily or frequent stropping or honing on the steel replenishes an edge quickly and efficiently,  I hard ever go to my bench stones

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users