6 replies to this topic

#1 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Looking at getting one or the other. Both would serve my purpose well.

So let's here what you all have to say.

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 756 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:05 PM

Both are classics and either would be a good pick, so my opinion is if you can, try them in hand to see which feels better and/or which locking mechanism you prefer. After that it's down to choosing which blade shape (or steel, depending on the model) would be useful to you.

#3 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:03 AM

Well definitely the s30v, but some of the Paramilitary options offer s110 and s35vn for not a huge price difference.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the compression lock and ball bearing lock...any thoughts on which is stronger?

Overall design I like both. I can see me breaking the tip off the Para, so that makes a better selling point for the Manix.

Luckily I live 30 minutes from Smoky Mountain Knife works, so next I'm there I will handle both.

#4 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 756 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:57 AM

I've only handled the PM2's compression lock personally and my only comment about that is it's more righty-oriented than the Manix 2's ambidextrous lock (I'm a lefty). Other than that, that's good you're near a shop you can handle them at and get them serviced if need be.

#5 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Interesting to know about the compression lock. I watched a video from blade HQ on youtube testing the lock strength of nearly all the locking options for Spyderco, which included:
Liner lock
Frame lock
Lock back
Ball bearing
Compression

The lock back may have won, but they never got an official number. So the actual winner was the ball bearing. Very interesting test if you haven't seen the video.

#6 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 756 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

I think I found the videos!

#7 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

Crap, Thanks for posting! I copied the link and just realized that I didn't paste it, lol.

The videos were very informative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users