#1 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

I recently got a house that is set in a wooded area.

I have always focused my flashlight purchases on EDC specs since I live in an urban setting and outside of that needed something to carry hunting or fishing.

With this house, I am looking to get something that can cast a large amount of light outside and size is not an issue.

I find flashlight purchases to be the most difficult due to the overwhelming options in the market place.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:39 AM

So here's my first and only recommendation: the ThruNite TN42. It advertises itself as 1550m of throw, but it's wrong--apparently testers have it up to 1700m.  :o

It's pretty nuts!

#3 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Now that's a light!

Thanks Mikey.

#4 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

Mikey (or anyone else), I noticed that this light does not come with batteries.
I know very little about flashlights and even less about batteries, any recommendations?
Thanks.

#5 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:59 PM

Mikey (or anyone else), I noticed that this light does not come with batteries.
I know very little about flashlights and even less about batteries, any recommendations?
Thanks.

There's a version of the TN42 (the TN42C) that comes with a rechargeable battery pack for convenience.

If you'd rather the normal TN42 and want to buy 18650 batteries instead, I'd give this article a read: https://www.reddit.c...ight/wiki/18650

#6 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

Thanks, as always, for the advice Mikey. The Reditt article was very informative.
I’m going to go the normal TN42 and the 18650’s
  • Mikey Bautista likes this

#7 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

Hey Mikey,

I just ordered the TN42.  If anyone is interested in a Thrunite, their website is running a Christmas sale, 20% off sitewide, the code is 2017XMAS.

The price of the TN42 on the site is $199.95.  I got $39.99 off with the promotion and shipping was free, so my total cost was $159.96.

I know you said to buy the 18650's, is their a particular brand that you or anyone else reading this recommends?

Thanks.

#8 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:35 PM

I have the Thurnite TN35 and live on 50 acres. It is a great combo of flood and throw to spot the coyotes and deer on my property along with lighting up the unwanted and uninvited “guests” that tend to wander through. Cheers.

#9 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

I own over a dozen different Thrunites and all are excellent.

#10 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

I finally received my TN42 and I am extremely pleased with it. It is not cheap but it is damn powerful and was just what I was looking for. It is ideal for a home in a rural setting with plenty of woods. This thing projects a tremendous amount of light for far distances.
If you ever need to deal with Thrunite’s customer service, I found them to be extremely responsive. My original order was sent by Lasership and the tracking # showed it held up at a particular Lasership center for an extended period. I contacted Thrunite and they responded to my e-mail within 12 hours. They told me to order another one (this one was sent by UPS and arrived with no delay) and that they would refund me for the original at months end if it never arrives.
  • Mikey Bautista and Ron like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users