6 replies to this topic

#1 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

Recently sold my Beretta M9 for a better carry pistol (M9 was too heavy and difficult to conceal for my liking). I picked up the Springfield XDS 9mm and looking for the forums opinion on this weapon. 

I did a bit of research before buying as I was originally looking to get a Glock 19, or 26. From what I found on online reviews and videos is that the XDS is, in general, a very reliable and durable pistol. 

What I wanted in a carry pistol: Easy to conceal, no thumb safety, reliability, durability, and 9mm. I know a lot of people would prefer a bigger caliber than a 9mm, but from being in the Army and using an M9 for a long time, I am personally very comfortable with that caliber. 

I do know that Glock is the most durable and reliable, no matter how you slice it (from what I can tell, via the online community). However, I was impressed with the torture test I found on the XDS, which is one reason that swayed me. In addition, I have fired a Glock 26 in the past and I didn't really like the feel of it, as it felt kind of cheap in my hands...like a plastic toy? I felt though I could probably get past that with more practice with the weapon. 

Either way, it would appear the XDS is regarded as a very good choice for conceal carry. I'm mainly looking for anyone's opinion or experience with the XDS who could chime in. I'm sure I will also get some Glock guys who will remind me of their superiority, lol. 

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#2 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

Springfield XD pistols are very reliable, good hand fit and reliable magazines. The XD's are a popular item in this area. I have instructing defensive pistol for years and none of the XD series pistols have ever failed.

I have seen Glocks, S&W's, SIG's, 1911's and other pistols fail to some degree in all that time, but no XD series guns.

If the XDs suits you, feel confident you have selected a good gun.

• KlaudeMarks likes this

#3 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:18 PM

Springfield XD pistols are very reliable, good hand fit and reliable magazines. The XD's are a popular item in this area. I have instructing defensive pistol for years and none of the XD series pistols have ever failed.

I have seen Glocks, S&W's, SIG's, 1911's and other pistols fail to some degree in all that time, but no XD series guns.

If the XDs suits you, feel confident you have selected a good gun.

Im definitely a bit surpised to hear of no XD failures but some in Glock. Not to say that Glock is perfect, but a lot of their fanboys may argue otherwise. I feel good about my purchase, and feel better hearing feedback from an instructor. 

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#4 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:37 AM

I wouldn't get too hung up on Glocks being the last word in reliability (according to some). Plenty of other guns out there have enviable records. If a gun works, it works; even if it's not a Glock.

I've been carrying an XDs for a few months now. It has no reliability issues, and it suits me. I'm sure a Glock would do just as well, but I like the XDs better.

#5 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

I love it. I had two miss fires out of around 50 rounds fired, but I attribute that to faulty ammo.

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#6 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

Were the Missfires a 'click' instead of a 'BANG'?

#7 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

Were the Missfires a 'click' instead of a 'BANG'?

Yes sir

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users