Why knives are so popular in USA EDC?

41 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Ho

Ron Ho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

Why knives are so popular in USA EDC? Any legal restriction on carry pocket knives ? In my country, it is a criminal offense to carry a knives with longer than six inches on blade.  

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#2 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

The legality depends on the specific municipality, but in general, the laws are not very specific. That's good and bad...you can likely carry without problems, but may depend on your intent to use. Most likely, a blade under 3 inches should be fine.

They're popular here because it's a free country, and they're readily available, and useful tools for most people.
  • Glen, Plumblucky1, John B. and 6 others like this

#3 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

Popularity comes from a history of being makers and builders. We do things, we build things, we fix things, and a knife is a handy extension of what a man can do with his hands. Not so much anymore, but when I was a boy, you had a pocket knife by the time you were 10 years old, and you used it every day carving and whittling, and making boats and sling shots. You went fishing and cleaned the catch, and it was your first step into being a young man. A knife was a right of passage. Back then, there were no restrictions on carrying a knife. In fact, I carried a pocket knife every day in school, and some of us used to sit outside at recess and whittle sticks. Doing that now will net you an arrest, a record, counseling, and probably result in being taken from your home and placed in foster care.  Now, nothing over 4" unless you're afield.

• Glen, Plumblucky1, Stupendous Walrus and 14 others like this

#4 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

Dom and coldwater are right.  There's a rich history of blades being used here for much more than defensive/offensive purposes.  For the most part, knives aren't looked upon too strictly, but the laws do vary by state.  For instance, my state, Tennessee, recently passed a bill allowing open fixed blade carry.  There are now no length restrictions and the ban on switchblades has been lifted.  I carry a pocket knife to work every single day and I'm in a building that employs roughly a thousand people.  No one thinks twice about my knife.  I use it to open letters and boxes, cut parcel string, etc.  It's a tool here and not many think otherwise.  

• Plumblucky1, John B., Griffen Kociela and 5 others like this

#5 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

For many of us who have more than just a few knives, they are also a beautiful testament to the designer and knifemaker's creativity and craftsmanship. I love carrying a knife because they are extremely useful for day to day tasks that have already been mentioned, but they also bring me joy because of the craftsmanship and the beauty of a finely refined tool. We do not need knives with dyed bone inlays or extreme super steels in the blades or exotic anodizing jobs or springs that open the knife for you, but there is something about those things that makes the tool something I take pride in owning and using, and something that makes me smile every time I take it out of my pocket.

• Plumblucky1, John B., Dom and 8 others like this

#6 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

Great responses gentlemen, I couldn't have said it better myself.

• John B., Dom, Chris Szaroleta and 1 other like this

#7 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

.............because it is quieter to open a box with my knife than with my pistol .
  • Glen, Plumblucky1, John B. and 16 others like this

#8 Ron Ho

Ron Ho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

Thanks all your great response , it is true that the pocket knives in US have great culture in according to history .
  • Griffen Kociela, Chris Szaroleta and armydoc like this

#9 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

Thanks all your great response , it is true that the pocket knives in US have great culture in according to history .

True. Even Abe Lincoln carried a pocket knife:
http://everydaycarry...39s-Final-Carry
  • Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta and kwelsh like this

#10 Plumblucky1

Plumblucky1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

.............because it is quieter to open a box with my knife than with my pistol .

well, that's supposing that suppressors are illegal in your state :P

But great responses everyone. Growing up in the south you had a knife by the time you were 10-11 years old and carried it everywhere except school. I used to for boxes, whitteling, fishing, cutting rope to make forts. It's a kind of right of passage and just about every man carries one where I'm from. And thanks to Duff72 have a couple exceptionally cool ones
  • Duff72, Marc, Chris Szaroleta and 1 other like this

#11 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

True. Even Abe Lincoln carried a pocket knife:
http://everydaycarry...39s-Final-Carry

This is still my favorite "specialty" carry on the site.

• Duff72, Stupendous Walrus, John B. and 2 others like this

#12 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

As others have noted, because they're useful.  Not a day goes by when a package arrives that is best opened by a knife.  Or, in my building, the newspapers arrive every morning bound with plastic straps, and are opened with two or three cuts.  Or, lunch.  Or, dozens of other things that a small, sharp knife makes easier.

Now, I don't come from a knife culture, and I live in Chicago, and will probably never need to field dress an antelope on LaSalle Street.  But the old timers in their suits and fedoras in the Loop (downtown Chicago) would get their shoes shined while reading the paper, and if something caught their attention, out would come the pocket knife, and they would cut out the article to pocket and save for later.

BTW, Chicago has a two inch municipal ordinance.  But, if you carry a gentleman's folder (I'm not into the whole tactical knife look) and don't wave it around on the El, the cops will pretty much leave you alone.  They have more important things to do than bust a lawyer in a pinstriped suit for carrying a small knife in his briefcase. 

• Stupendous Walrus, John B., Dom and 3 others like this

#13 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

Well said, Mark.  I grew up in a small town in New Brunswick on the east coast of Canada, where a knife in your pocket back then was as popular as iPhone is today.  Funny about the antelope... but I reminded me of my dad field dressing a deer with nothing but his small pocket knife in a field ... under the beam of the truck's headlights... Ahhh, the good ol' days.

• Stupendous Walrus, John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#14 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

Well said, Mark.  I grew up in a small town in New Brunswick on the east coast of Canada, where a knife in your pocket back then was as popular as iPhone is today.  Funny about the antelope... but I reminded me of my dad field dressing a deer with nothing but his small pocket knife in a field ... under the beam of the truck's headlights... Ahhh, the good ol' days.

Same as growing up on and off in the Algonquin region. You stood out more if you didn't have a knife ready for a task than if you did.
  • John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#15 Harshit Gupta

Harshit Gupta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:49 AM

Today knives seem to be a common utility tool which are considered much more than just a kitchen knives. They are been considered more as a tool for self defence and people take them along with them for everyday carry to outdoors. The EDC knives are also been used as camping knives, trekking accessories which go for outdoors adventure trips like camping, hiking and hunting.

• Stupendous Walrus, John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

When you think of something, Go for it.......

Love to Carry victorinox trekking Knives and leatherman multitools for outdoors survival.

#16 Dixie

Dixie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:11 AM

Exactly harshit I  agree with you in today's time knives become a necessity. I also use to carry pocket knife with me no matter where I am going.

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta and Dave like this

Its easy to do anything but hard to remove it.

My never ending love to assisted opening knives

#17 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

'Merica: We love our guns AND knives!  :D

• Mel R., Chris Szaroleta and Dave like this

#18 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

'Merica: We love our guns AND knives!  :D

FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!

• John B., Mel R., Chris Szaroleta and 1 other like this

#19 Giannis Merichovitis

Giannis Merichovitis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

For many of us who have more than just a few knives, they are also a beautiful testament to the designer and knifemaker's creativity and craftsmanship. I love carrying a knife because they are extremely useful for day to day tasks that have already been mentioned, but they also bring me joy because of the craftsmanship and the beauty of a finely refined tool. We do not need knives with dyed bone inlays or extreme super steels in the blades or exotic anodizing jobs or springs that open the knife for you, but there is something about those things that makes the tool something I take pride in owning and using, and something that makes me smile every time I take it out of my pocket.

This answer is just perfect! Excactly what i wanted to write when I came in this topic!

#20 DevoD

DevoD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

All great answers!

As much as we love our knives American knife laws are plain wacky and vary state by state and as stated, municipality by municipality. California has some of the most red taped, loop holed laws when it comes to anything especially "weapons." For example, you can't carry an automatic knife  as long as it's blade is below 2.'' In most counties, you can carry a fixed blade as big as you want as long as it's done so openly and sheathed. 

As a teacher in my district (since I'm "personnel") I'm allowed to carry a knife below a 2.5" blade as long as it's not locking (SAK, traditional folders, etc.). Since I mostly carry Spyderco's and Benchmades, those stay in my car parked conveniently outside of school property about 50 yards of my classroom.

• John B. likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users