23 replies to this topic

#1 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

I am ready to purchase my next Benchmade knife. I already own a 556 Mini Grip its a great EDC knife and it's more than expected in quality and the blade is excellent, working on new scales as I don't care much for them. Please send me your suggestions and thoughts and also any info on custom scales for the Mini Grip would be great.

Cheers
Ron

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Sky's the limit. I might recommend that you stay away from glitzy bling scales like the anodized flat aluminum ones, and stay with something more easily gripped and ergonomic.

• Ron likes this

#3 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

G10 scales are always classy and functional.

As for your next Benchmade, maybe you go the custom route on their website of you have the money to do so.
  • Ron likes this
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#4 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 979 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

I find the new 535 Bugout interesting but as others have said, the sky's the limit, really, on Benchmade. Here's a recent review I was watching:

• Ron likes this

#5 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

I have some interest in the Benchmade Boost. It's a good looking blade made of S30V. The mini Barrage is a wonderful knife as well. I own several. And the Arcane is just plain beautiful, but a little spendy.

• Ron likes this

#6 colin.p

colin.p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

Ha, I was just in the same dilema as you. I bought a mini grip back in June and was smitten with the axis lock. I first was looking at the mini barrage but was a little turned off by the assisted opening negating the ease of closing one handed. I then fixated on a few other models all around the same price point starting with the 531, the 707 and then the 908. By that time I was getting close to the $200 (CAD) level. I then said screw it and get what I always wanted to anyway, the 940-2. It really is the quintessential EDC knife.

Oh and to add, a week after I got the 940-2, a co-worker said he had a well used BM knife for sale (cheap) and it turned out to be a Barrage. Real nice knife, opens startlingly quick and built like a tank. Still need two hands to close it though.

• Ron likes this

#7 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

Not if you're using your pants leg.
One hand slides axis lock back, and sweep the blade closed
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#8 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:00 AM

I highly regret trading off my full size Ritter Grip :( Another Benchmade is in my future, but not sure when. Currently, I'm drawn to the triage (not the blunt tip), adamas, and the 940. Being that hindsight is 20/20, I should have just bought aftermarket scales for the Ritter grip, as I didn't like the cheap feel of the stock scales...to each its own, though. Regardless, Benchmade has got the best customer service, which draws me toward them more than any other company. 

• Brendan and Ron like this

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#9 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

Not if you're using your pants leg.
One hand slides axis lock back, and sweep the blade closed

Yup. Just takes a little practice. I can flip any of my assisted open Benchmades closed quick as a flash. 

#10 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

Coldwater, I purchased a HK Mini Axis, and a full size grip with a tanto blade. Waiting for them to arrive. Will post pictures.

#11 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

The new tactical triage model looks nice. S30v and g10 scales.  Orange option would be nice.

• Ron likes this

My EDC

sortitapps-black.png

#12 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

Benchmade Loco is one of the few newer releases that i really like. A bit pricy tho
  • Ron likes this

#13 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

The new Presidio 570 or the Crooked River would be my picks.  I own the Presidiio 520 and it is such a great allrounder, it's the one knife I'll never, ever sell (unless its in trade for a 570).

• Ron likes this

#14 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:45 PM

I'm digging the Casbah, Vicar, 949, and new Proper Clip point
  • Ron likes this

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#15 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

I have a new favourite Benchmade. I purchased a North Fork hunter with the black and grey G10 scales. This knife is a excellent EDC, fits my hand perfectly and after a small tune up on the strop it cuts amazing smooth. Here are some pictures of my North Fork and my 553 with AWT scales.

Attached Files

#16 DB Cooper

DB Cooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

Mini-Barrage - I have two.

Assisted open, easy close one handed (described in this thread), very well balanced. Really like the ability to lock it closed or open. Enough blade without being overly large, it's done everything I've ever asked of it.

Had a North Fork, and sold it. Great looking, nice balance, but missed the lock and the assisted open.

• Ron likes this

#17 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

https://www.knifecen...ack-g10-handles

This new one looks nice. Axis assisted flipper
  • Ron likes this

My EDC

sortitapps-black.png

#18 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

Thanks guys. I will check them both out.

#19 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:40 AM

I actually finally picked up my own suggestion, The Benchmade 808 Loco. It'll be here in a few days. I got it new at a good price so I couldn't resist. Let us know what you decide on Ron

• Ron likes this

#20 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:37 AM

I’m a spyderco guy 100% but my girl did gift me a benchmade 940-2 Osborne for x mas. Great knife and hasn’t left my pocket since I opened it. Now that I think about it, I should probably start giving my spydercos some love lol.
  • Moose and Ron like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users