Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Welcome to the forum, and goodbye spammers!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 781 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, we've been under attack from spammers the past week or so, harming your experience of the site and causing a headache for all of us. The bots create new accounts, new posts, and new topics, making it a nightmare to moderate and clean up. Rest assured we do know what's up and how they're getting in, and we are in the process of patching the holes so the problem is fixed permanently.

In the interim, we are locking down new users and moderating their first (and only their first) post, in which they will be allowed to post a proper hello in the Introduce Yourself forum. Once we have vetted that the first post isn't about some drug, language testing, football stream, or any other nonsense that's being spammed lately, the intro post will go through and the rest of the forum opens up to the new user.

I would also like to thank everyone who has been helping combat spam by reporting spam posts and users--rest assured all of them hit my mailbox, so it's been a busy past few days! I would also appreciate you keep up the good work in keeping our forum clean, and I'll do my best as well to ensure it stays that way.

So--existing users, thank you, keep it up, and hope things are better here on out, and new users--hello and welcome and let me know if you have any questions or concerns! 

• Chris Doherty, coldwater, TDG Nick and 3 others like this

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, we've been under attack from spammers the past week or so, harming your experience of the site and causing a headache for all of us. The bots create new accounts, new posts, and new topics, making it a nightmare to moderate and clean up. Rest assured we do know what's up and how they're getting in, and we are in the process of patching the holes so the problem is fixed permanently.

In the interim, we are locking down new users and moderating their first (and only their first) post, in which they will be allowed to post a proper hello in the Introduce Yourself forum. Once we have vetted that the first post isn't about some drug, language testing, football stream, or any other nonsense that's being spammed lately, the intro post will go through and the rest of the forum opens up to the new user.

I would also like to thank everyone who has been helping combat spam by reporting spam posts and users--rest assured all of them hit my mailbox, so it's been a busy past few days! I would also appreciate you keep up the good work in keeping our forum clean, and I'll do my best as well to ensure it stays that way.

So--existing users, thank you, keep it up, and hope things are better here on out, and new users--hello and welcome and let me know if you have any questions or concerns! 

You the man, Mikey. Thanks for the effort. We know it's often an uphill battle, and it's appreciated. 

• Scott Johnson likes this

#3 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

And it looks like you got a handle on it! Well done! 

• Mikey Bautista and KlaudeMarks like this

#4 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

Indeed well done. Looking much better. Thank you. 

#5 Matt Ubarra

Matt Ubarra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

it's all back to normal.. thanks to you boss.

#6 Bushcraft Dave

Bushcraft Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Looking forward to using the forum.  I used to run a forum too, it's hard work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users