Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

What are brand names that you love and worth every penny.

112 replies to this topic

#101 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

Personally, I cannot stand Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb.  I think they both taste like some kind of funky carbonated prune juice, and I hate prune juice. I also detest creme soda, with a passion - but everyone has different taste buds, so; more power to you who like those things.  More Coke classic for me :D :P

In spite of the idea that Dr.P is prune juice, I think it is actually a decoction of rhubarb. Well, originally. Now it is probably all fake. At one time rhubarb was strong medicine (and worth a lot of money by the pound!), and most sodas started life as "tonics". For soda, anything from Bundaberg, but especially ginger beer.

Kitchen knives: Wusthof, Global, KAI, old Sabatier, MAC

Sushi Knives; Masamoto, Aritsugu

Pans; All Clad, old school Calphalon, top of the line Emeril Ware (made by All Clad but half the price), old cast iron, Le Crueset

Computer; I am happy with my Dell Latitudes-(E5530 currently) due to how tough it is. Not enough experience with Apple.

Phone: I rock an iPhone 3 in an Otterbox. I am happy with that, and when I get a new phone, it'll be an Apple. In an Otterbox. It has survived a couple puntings.

Pocket knife: Kershaws. Especially the Leek. Victorinox, Laigoule, Benchmade (Still thinking about Benchmade)

Leatherman

Craftsman screwdrivers. They still stand behind the guarantee.

Permanent Marker? Always Sharpie. Now and forever.

Ticonderoga Black #2 pencils

Fisher Space pen refill in a Sensa Minx for small pocket pen.

Rhodia for paper pads.

Gallery Leather for notebooks-checkbook sized leather bound notebook filled with fountain pen friendly paper, they are made in Maine.They have other size books as well.

Watches: Waltham, Chicago

Pocket Light: ThruNite, Olite, Four Sevens

Footwear: Nocona, Keen, Teva,  Doc Martens, Rockport- all in EE (which is why I can't wear Red Wings)

Various clothes from Duluth Trading

Car: Subaru, Honda

Shades: B&L/Rayban

BP Refills: Parker Gel

#102 Roger Heath

Roger Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:12 PM

Let's see now...

• Red Wing boots
  • Merrell hikers
  • Saucony running shoes
  • Kaweco fountain pens
  • Parker and Fisher ballpoint pens
  • Rhodia notebooks
  • Leatherman multi-tools
  • Epiphone guitars
  • Yaesu ham radio equipment
  • Trek bikes and Kenda tires

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#103 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:12 AM

These are a few brands that have served me well over the years:
Ford: specifically, mustangs. I've had three; my current one has over 100k miles and still runs strong.
Subaru: there is no better winter/utility car, in my opinion.
Oakley: not just for optics, either. I've had two of their backpacks and they lasted through years of daily abuse. I've also had a couple pairs of basketball style hi tops from them which also held up extremely well. Alas, they make them no more.
Ruger: wheel guns, especially. Aside from my current troubles with the SR556 (which could be my inexperience with the platform) they're solid performing and reliable. I've had more than I can count on both hands and feet.
Sig and Glock: Glocks are ugly as sin, but I have three. Hundreds of rounds through all of them without a hitch. Sig makes pretty guns (my favorites) and have all the reliability of Glocks, in my opinion.
LAXAmmo: their new target loads are reliable, accurate, and inexpensive. My only issue is availability. But if they have the caliber you want in stock, you won't find a better performing, affordable ammo anywhere unless you're loading your own.
Sorel: my Pac boots are 20 years old and still going. Not much use for them now that I'm in Florida, but best winter boots I've ever owned.
Casio and Seiko: G-Shocks have unparalleled ability to take abuse. And Seiko makes em pretty and long lasting.
Carhart: toughest jackets on the planet. Warm and light, a hard combo to come by.
Duluth Trading Company: fast becoming my favorite for everyday wear. Durable and comfortable, especially for guys that are on the big side. Yep, that's me.
Arai helmets: saved my life!
Firstgear motorcycle clothing: saved my skin!
Craftsman hand tools: years of abuse, still going strong.
Starbuck's and Seattle's Best coffees: not the foo foo stuff (although I've had a few of those, too) but the everyday grind stuff.
Apple: without a doubt the most trouble free and user friendly tech.
Kitchen Aid: oh, the things you can do with a mixer and attachments! Yes, I like to cook!
Amazon: I can't count the things I've gotten from them. Books, appliances, movies, medical supplies, packs, watches.....the list goes on. Excellent customer service, too. And most times better prices than anywhere else. I bought a Maxpedition Noatak Gearslinger on Amazon for less than what Maxpedition was selling them for on their own site!

#104 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

It has been my experience that buying name brands ensures a certain level of quality and customer service (unless you're buying H&K...long story). My father was overly frugal and spent more time and money replacing cheap imitation stuff, so I learned to look for deals, but pay once, cry once and move on.
  • Andrew Cohen likes this

#105 Adam Carner

Adam Carner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

Apple for laptops and Smartphones. All of the Macbook's and iPhone's I've had over the years have never failed me.

Tag Heuer for timepieces

Corter Leather and Cloth Wallets. hand cut, hand stitched from hand prepped leather pieces.

Kaweco Fountain pens.

Canon for my Cameras and Lenses

Adobe Photoshop CC for Imagery Editing

Playstation 4 for my gaming

Lagavulin for Whiskey

Google for electronic workflow

Jeep Wrangler's and VW GTI's for Vehicle's (4x4 and a sportster)

Oakley Sunglasses

Samsung HD + 4K TV's

Davidoff Cigars

Narragansett Beer

The North Face for winter wear and hoodies

Bath and Body Works for candles and smelly stuff.

....off the top of my head. haha

#106 Matt Richards

Matt Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

Great thread this - could go on forever. Here are my initial/instinctive answers:

Tech:

Apple
Samsung (TV and Blu Ray)
Sony (gaming)
Fitbit

Knives & pocket tools:

Victorinox
Spyderco
Opinel

Lights:

Prometheus
Maratac

Watches:

Omega
Rolex
Tag Heuer
Christopher Ward London

Web:

Everydaycarry (!)
Gearhungry
Huckberry
Google
eBay

Bags/Wallets/Luggage:

Hidesign
Dom Reilly
Paul Smith

Grooming:

Clinique
Lush
Bulldog

Clothing & Shoes:

Timberland
Barbour
Levis
Charles Tyrwhitt
Richard James
Nike
Under Armour

Eyewear:

Oakley
Persol
Tom Ford

Writing:

Moleskine
Mont Blanc
Tactile Turn
Pentel

Motoring:

VW/Audi
Land Rover
Ford

Other:

Fender
Brewdog
Jack Daniels
Jack Links

#107 Roger Heath

Roger Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

Bath and Body Works for candles and smelly stuff.

....off the top of my head. haha

+1 on the Bath & Body Works.  The C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream is the best stuff I've ever used.  Also love Bigelow's Elixir Black cologne.

#108 Jack Edgemond

Jack Edgemond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

Glasses: RAYBAN 

nothing beats their style

Knives: BENCHMADE, KA-BAR

quality.

Pens: PARKER, MONT BLANC, G2

I put Mont Blanc pen refills in G2 pens works like a charm

Watches: VICTORINOX

Anything audio: BOSE, SPOTIFY

Yeah it's an app, but I'd pay for its subscription before netflix

Phone Accessories: LIFEPROOF, MOPHIE

Wallets: DECADENT MINIMALIST

Look them up they created something simple and practical

#109 Andrew Hoerner

Andrew Hoerner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

WIth regard to EDC, not life in general:

-Benchmade. Always in my pocket. Have been to the factory, have owned dozens over many years. Made in USA to the highest standards.

-Field Notes Brand. I have followed them from the start. I have one with me at all times. Love the creativity and made in USA.

-TAD Gear. While this brand has been up and down over the years, I still use their made in USA Products and they stand up to rough and tumble.

-Sharpie. Ubiquitous. Always a good idea to have one around. 

#110 jacksbuddy

jacksbuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

It took 3 pages before someone said Filson, wow.

I'm not much on brand loyalty either, but there are a few items that I firmly believe in and trust.  Some are:

Honda Civic - mainly due to the people who helped me buy it. (You could say they sold it, but in reality, they helped me buy it.  There is a BIG difference, and that is why we will go back to them when this thing dies in a couple of decades. :) )

Victrinox knives

Filson hats

Colombia outerwear

Mossberg 500A

Ozark Trail everything (why pay more when their stuff is actually better?)

Otter Box Defender series - customer service is top notch

#111 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

My go to brand is Olight. Their customer service is tops.

About a month ago I ordered an Olight i3s EOS which arrived without the spare O-rings. I complained and Olight did offer to send me an i3e as compensation. I declined and said I really wanted the O-rings. They couldn't send them to Canada for some reason. What they did eventually do was send me flashlights that were returned by customers so I can harvest the O-rings. What arrived shocked me - 3 fully functional flashlights - 2 i3s eos and 1 i3s cu.

They have a customer for life with me.

Quite the contrast with Leatherman. Doubtful if I'll buy another after the problem I had with my Wave 2. I could barley open some of the tools on it when I got it. Applied oil frequently hoping it would help. Eventually it did... after more then a year. I told Leatherman about this and they were willing to look at it but I would have to pay for the shipping and insurance. $40 bucks more out of pocket for a brand new tool. Don't even get me started on the garbage case they now provide.

#112 CarlosDo

CarlosDo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:16 AM

Levi's jeans for me!

#113 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Knives/multitool: benchmade and Leatherman (have owned both at times, but not currently). Also Victorinox, which I always have with me.

Bags: admittedly, I'm becoming a goruck fan boy...their products are expensive, but we'll worth it. Deals are to be had at times, especially for is veterans.

Sam Adams (Boston lager) my favorite beer.

Mowing equipment: redmax (trimmer), Stihl (blower). As for mowers, only owned hustler and Toro, which were all great on the commercial level. I love Scag though also.

Boots: Durango, on my third pair and they're still great.

I know more will come to me later.

EDC Culture

‚Äčgearfacts.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users