7 replies to this topic

#1 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

I'm looking for thoughts on this. Forget price just preference. I just received my mini grip and am impressed for sure, but for the price the RAT 2 does the same work at a fraction of the cost, and I find it pockets better. Thoughts and opinions please.

#2 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:14 AM

Ive never had a mini grip, but I had the full size Ritter grip, and while a great knife, you make a good point. For what I mainly use a folder for, my Rat 2 (that I recently got), does the exact same thing my Ritter could do, with less retention and better lock up. Sure, the grips have an axis lock, which is really good, but the liner lock on my Rat 2 is plenty sufficient for what I use my knives for and for a fraction of the cost. Hell, I could break 3 Rat 2s for the price of 1 mini grip, although the mini grip may take a much worse beating. 

So in my opinion, having a rat 2 now, I personally would only buy something like an adamas if Im going to spend a lot on a folder. I love the way the rat 2 carries, and honestly, the quality is on point. I know a lot of people knock a liner lock, but its fine for what I do. My blade came near perfectly centered and Im impressed with AUS 8 (for what it is). Sure, it isnt m390 or s30v, but its plenty for what I use my knife for. 

• Ron likes this

#3 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

I own both and you really can't go wrong with either one, just depends on how much you want to spend.  The Mini grip is sharper out of the box and the axis lock is just so much fun to play with.  The RAT 2 despite the low entry point and being a liner lock is really quite impressive.  It came centered and the action for a non assisted folder is fast and effortless, one of the best for a budget knife.  The RAT 2 doesn't hold the edge as well as the Mini grip if compared but for daily light work like cutting card board boxes, packages, mail, small zip ties, etc. it is just fine.  So, if you want to spend less go with the RAT 2 and you'll be happy.  If you have the dough to spend more you'll definitely be happy with the MIni grip.

Thread is less worthy without pics so here are mine, carrying the mini grip today as part of my edc...

i-r76kzCf-L.jpg

i-VzKMTtp-L.jpg

my old RAT 2

i-89CRmg4-L.jpg

i-Nf8X9Xw-L.jpg

i-NVtj932-L.jpg

~v~

• Ron likes this

#4 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

I am impressed with the Grip, I really like the lock and blade,scales not so much and because I spent the money it will get used just as hard as my other knives and I shall see how it performs. That said I do own 3 Rat 2s that get beat up regularly but I expect the Grips blade to hold an edge much better than the Rats AUS8.

#5 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Ron, which steel did your mini come with?

#6 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

It came with 154cm steel.
  • KlaudeMarks likes this

#7 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

I have carried it every day since I received it and like I said earlier, seriously impressed with it..the Axis lock is excellent and the blade is the same. I will definitely purchase more Benchmades in the future. I suspect if the Rats were made in the US they would be close to the same price as the Grip.

#8 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

That's true about where they're made. Honestly, the liner lock is definitely inferior to the axis, but in reality, I couldn't see a task I'd use a knife the size of the mini or rat 2 that would jeapordize the lock...unless a survival situation and that's all I had for a long time.

Aus8 gets a bad name, but for what it is, it's not anything way less inferior to 154cm...but they have there respective places I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users