Grid it

7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:05 PM

Should I buy a grid it. It it worthwhile to use for edc.

#2 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

I made my own, cheap and very easy. Lots of videos on youtube. At the local craft store I can buy the elastic with rubber embedded and an artists canvas for the structure. I sew the elastic into loops while watching tv. 

#3 The Narrow Gent

The Narrow Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

It's a matter of personal preference. I know people who love it. I don't like it because it seems, in my eye, to take up too much room. I like using Tom Bihn organizer items instead. I also have always worried about the elastic wearing out.

#4 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:20 AM

It's a matter of personal preference. I know people who love it. I don't like it because it seems, in my eye, to take up too much room. I like using Tom Bihn organizer items instead. I also have always worried about the elastic wearing out.

I made 2. A 10x12 and a 10x6 inch. 

The 10x12 is too large for my 25L backpack but the 10x6 is just nice. 

The elastic isn't under much tension to start with, mostly it's the rubber that grips the items.

#5 Chris

Chris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

Yeah I was thinking of making a couple with different sizes because I want one for school I can use and I want one that I can carry in my pocket so like something small like a 3x3 or something. This is because an 15 and play sports and stuff and I wear athletic shorts and I don't have many pockets or much room so I want to make a small grid it maybe I can clip into my pocket to carry some of my edc gear. Would that be a good idea. Obviously I would have to make it myself but I like making things.
  • Scott Johnson likes this

#6 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

Yeah I was thinking of making a couple with different sizes because I want one for school I can use and I want one that I can carry in my pocket so like something small like a 3x3 or something. This is because an 15 and play sports and stuff and I wear athletic shorts and I don't have many pockets or much room so I want to make a small grid it maybe I can clip into my pocket to carry some of my edc gear. Would that be a good idea. Obviously I would have to make it myself but I like making things.

I've never made one for pocket carry but I did try to put a 12x10 inch one into a backpack. I found the rubber coated elastics really grabbed the inside of the pack making it a pain to remove. For pocket carry I would make it with the elastics on one side only and make sure the side against your leg is smooth. Of course if your pockets are really large this may not be necessary. Let us know how it turns out.

#7 Todd Davis

Todd Davis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:56 PM

I have a small one in my EDC bag (5.11 Moab 6)  It lives in the main pocket and allows me to organize several items.  

#8 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

Check out this thread. Scott brought it up there too.
http://forum.everyda...-it/#entry30055

As far as is it worth it? Like others have said it's personal preference. If you like things organized, neat and handy then you might love it. If you like stuff thrown in a dopp kit get that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users