Spyderco Grasshopper?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Bryer89

Bryer89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

I'm looking for an inexpensive locking knife. Is it a good choice or should I pick something else?

#2 Moose

Moose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

The Grasshopper is a slipjoint so has no lock.  It is a nice little knife but very smal.  For an inexpensive (small but bigger) locking knife I strongly recommend the Sanrenmu 7073LUC-SK for a classy little folder with a well thought-out design.  For something bigger, the Sanrenmu 9103 is mind blowing value for money.  Ganzo are also high VFM mid to large knives. All the aforementioned can be found for less than $20 on the net.

The Ontario RAT series (RAT1= large, RAT2=small) are American made high VFM knives that can be found for around $30.  The classic Buck 112/110 knives have a timeless quality if weight and two hand opening is ok with you.

Victorinox Swiss Army Knives are again great VFM and offer a wide range of variants with locking blades (and even larger without).

Apart from knives on special offer:

Less than $50 consider the swiss. Less than $40 still consider the US. Less than $20 you can't beat the PRC.

If you want a Spyderco (great choice) may I suggest the Delica (mid size) or Endura (large).  Legendary edc locking knives for around $70.

I personally edc an Elmax Spyderco Urban slipjoint as I live in the UK.  Not as cheap as UK friendly offerings from the PRC but it was designed specifically with the UK in mind and is the best knife for the money I'm willing to part with.

So in conclusion; I recommend buying the best knife (best steel, grind, warranty, ergos, fit and finish, quality materials, looks) that meets your needs but won't break your heart to lose.  After all you'll be carrying it every day, no? So you may as well get pleasure as well as utility from carrying it.  And one day it may have to be your survival knife!

Less melodramatically:

The typical using environment you intend for your knife should inform the size and design elements of your knife.

The big outdoors? Beefy and uncomplicated. The office and around town?  Stylish yet small and unobtrusive may be the way to go...

Happy trails...

• BevoWatch likes this

#3 Bryer89

Bryer89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply! Much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users