Is the Opinel No.8 worth it?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Bryer89

Bryer89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

I know it's a cheap knife but I already have a victorinox recruit and a gerber mini paraframe. Looking for a good knife to whittle with but still use for everyday.

#2 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

Honestly for whittling I'd recommend a fixed blade knife like a Morakniv if you're looking for something inexpensive.

i-fvmqb4G-L.jpg

i-hjFz6Fm-L.jpg

i-pvKBjkT-L.jpg

I have a few Opinel and they are good basic folders but they are better for much more delicate cutting tasks.

This is not to say it can't be use for whittling but I just feel that a fixed blade small knife will serve you better.

i-ncP94mT-L.jpg

i-WsjhHxD-L.jpg

i-nKgzxRF-L.jpg

How about a Bench Mark Back Packer for a small inexpensive fixed blade?  Around ~$15.

i-GNqsN6r-L.jpg

i-QgGszRq-L.jpg

i-DK3DhHn-L.jpg

~v~

#3 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

If you want to whittle look for a vintage Buck 303.. You can't go wrong with that knife.

#4 Bryer89

Bryer89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for the tips! Going to look at both of them l!!

#5 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the tips! Going to look at both of them l!!

You're most certainly welcome!  Post as to what whittling knife you ended up picking up.  There are so many out there to choose from.  Good luck.

#6 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

Check out the Morakniv 120 wood carving knife.

#7 Bryer89

Bryer89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Doesn't the opinel have a locking mechanism or is it simply not strong

#8 Bryer89

Bryer89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

Also, what's the name of the Morakniv pictured?

#9 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

Also, what's the name of the Morakniv pictured?

Morakniv Companion I believe.  The Opinel does have locking but for wood work type work I'd still recommend a fixed blade knife.  The Opinel is inexpensive enough that you can get one and try it out.  Good luck.  

#10 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

I am a big fan of the Opinel No. 8.  I own 3, I have one at home, one in my car and one in my office desk.

For one thing, it is nice to be able to buy a a good knife for under $20 and they always come out of the box extremely sharp.

I pretty much use mine for food prep, something I always have on hand to cut up or peel fruits or vegetables.  I have a 7 year old and that function comes into play very often when traveling or out somewhere.  The thin and very sharp blade is perfect for that function.  It is certainly not a knife I would use for any heavy duty use.

The other thing I like about it is that in contrast to all the other EDC items I have, my knives in particular, I simply like the old world look and feel.  The wood handle, the carbon steel blade that develops a nice patina, the simple locking mechanism, I just really enjoy using it.

#11 Bladerunner337

Bladerunner337

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

I have a couple of No. 8's, one in carbon and one in Inox, both awesome along with my wife's No. 7.  That being said, for light whittling they'll be fine, just be aware that any serious torquing or lateral stress on the hinge point could damage the wood or blade.  

Are you talking about dedicated carving tasks/ whittling or general, relaxing at the lake or camp casual stick whittling?  

#12 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

From the OP, I can't tell if you plan to carry it or not. I've found they don't carry in the pocket all that well. That's just due to the diameter of the handle, at the locking ring. I carried a similar, round-handled knife like that, and it wore holes through the front of my jeans.

Great knives, though.

#13 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

From the OP, I can't tell if you plan to carry it or not. I've found they don't carry in the pocket all that well. That's just due to the diameter of the handle, at the locking ring. I carried a similar, round-handled knife like that, and it wore holes through the front of my jeans.

Great knives, though.

This is one of the reasons I've never bought one. I've heard how great they are, I love the look and that they use carbon steel, but I know it just wouldn't carry well for me...I've contemplated keeping one in the truck or my bag though.

#14 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

This is one of the reasons I've never bought one. I've heard how great they are, I love the look and that they use carbon steel, but I know it just wouldn't carry well for me...I've contemplated keeping one in the truck or my bag though.

the key to that is that they reman vertical and still in the pocket. Easy mod!

QqWPFrz.jpg

#15 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

the key to that is that they reman vertical and still in the pocket. Easy mod!

QqWPFrz.jpg

Good idea but now there is a potential hot spot in an otherwise clean cylindrical handle.  Still worth a trying though since the knife is so affordable and it can save the bottom of the pocket!  Thanks for sharing.  

#16 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

That's a really cool mod, so simple...yet I didn't think of it, lol.

#17 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:25 PM

Of the three I own, one has always been very stiff. It was not treated any differently than the others, never got saturated and yet the blade was always extremely tight. I would have to tap the end against a hard surface to get the blade out. I did some searching and found a method on you tube that called for placing the open knife in an oven on parchment paper at the lowest setting (for my oven that is 200 F) for 45 minutes with the convection on if you have that. I just did it and after letting it cool down tried it out, it worked perfectly. It does not seemed to have changed the integrity of the knife and the blade moves in and out smoothly.

#18 Glouglou

Glouglou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:37 AM

I don't like Opinel at all except my custom forged blade model.
If you whant an excellent inexpensive folder I highly recommend you à DOuk DOuk.
Flat well in hand excellent cutter and easy to resharp

#19 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Douk Douk is great, the Mercator K55K (cat knife) is great too, and very similar.

#20 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:46 PM

I don't like Opinel at all except my custom forged blade model.
If you whant an excellent inexpensive folder I highly recommend you à DOuk DOuk.
Flat well in hand excellent cutter and easy to resharp

Douk Douk is great, the Mercator K55K (cat knife) is great too, and very similar.

I have the Mercator as stated.  Very serviceable folder, sharp out of the box.  Doesn't get a lot of carry at all, mostly sits on the desk to open envelope etc.

i-XX2Mxpz-L.jpg

i-2WpK6sN-L.jpg

i-XZxw6wz-L.jpg

i-hVSWj7M-L.jpg

i-5QvrJ52-L.jpg

i-QBs33gX-L.jpg

i-LcZJ5DM-L.jpg

i-FVLJhxv-L.jpg

~v~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users