Timeless quotes.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

Since those who rule in the city do so because they own a lot, I suppose they're unwilling to enact laws to prevent young people who've had no discipline from spending and wasting their wealth, so that by making loans to them, secured by the young people's property, and then calling those loans in, they themselves become even richer and more honored.

Plato

#2 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:39 AM

Some of my favorite quotes

Non Fictional

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” Ben Franklin

"Hold up the train. Ammunition ship afire in harbor making for Pier 6 and will explode. Guess this will be my last message. Good-bye boys." Vincent Coleman just before the Halifax Explosion

------------------

Fictional

There's a reason when you separate the military and the police. One fights the enemy of the state the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both then the enemies of the state tend to become the people. Admiral Adama from Battlestar Galactica.

Flash! Don't heckle the super villian! John Stewart Green Lantern

#3 Ray

Ray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

Here are a couple of quotes that have inspired me. 

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” - Francis Chan

“If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom, and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too.” - W. Somerset Maugham 

“Everyone has a story that you have never heard before and everyone knows something that you don't and it is worth knowing.” - Unknown

Once more into the fray

Into the last good fight I’ll ever know

Live and die on this day

Live and die on this day

Movie - The Grey

“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” - The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.” -  E. E. Cummings

“Think you can, or think you can’t – either way, you are right.” – Henry Ford

#4 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

Three criteria for something to be a real Right:

1. It must be inherent to the individual - being a member of a group does not confer additional Rights, nor Rights which the individuals making up that group wouldn't otherwise have.

2. It must be non-obligatory - a Right does not obligate or compel any other individual to do or be or give one anything.

3. It must be mutually inclusive with all other Rights - if something claimed as a Right violates or conflicts with any other Right, one of the two isn't actually a Right.

Two other categories of things which are often claimed as Rights, but are not actually Rights:

1. Legally enforceable privileges - these are things like the fulfillment of contracts; not a Right per the above criteria, but still something that one can use the force of government to compel.

2. Socially supported privileges - here we have entitlements and things which society generally considers proper for a modern civilized country to provide its citizens. As these are not real Rights, serious skepticism should exist when government tries to establish or enforce them; though, serious praise should be offered to those private citizens, companies, and charities which provide for them.

- Me, loosely based on the sentiments of former talk radio host and current congressman from Minnesota, Jason Lewis.

Also, these:

“Man is a political animal. A man who lives alone is either a Beast or a God” - Aristotle, Politics

Capitalism is, in its most fundamental aspect, a social mechanism concerned with converting production capacity - or, perhaps more importantly, individual productivity - into a currency which may be used as a means of voluntary exchange, often directed for self-improvement. In essence, the economic aspect of freedom. - Me

"For if there is more tragic a fool than the businessman who does not know that he is an exponent of Man's highest creative spirit - it is the artist who thinks that the businessman is his enemy."

-- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

“Those who created this country chose freedom. With all of its dangers. And do you know the riskiest part of that choice they made? They actually believed that we could be trusted to make up our own minds in the whirl of differing ideas.”

— Nat Hentoff

“The purpose of education is to make the choices clear to people, not to make the choices for people.”

— Peter McWilliams

“The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he is always doing both.” – James Michener

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” - Robert Heinlein

"About the Declaration there is a finality that is exceedingly restful. It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning can not be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people. Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers." - Pres. Calvin Coolidge

George Washington: "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." (possibly apocryphal, earliest known citation in 1902)

Patrick Henry: "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."

James Madison: “It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. We hold this prudent jealousy to be the first duty of citizens and one of the noblest characteristics of the late Revolution. The freemen of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise and entangled the question in precedents. They saw all the consequences in the principle, and they avoided the consequences by denying the principle. We revere this lesson too much ... to forget it.”

"Facts don't care about your feelings." - Ben Shapiro

#5 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

...if something claimed as a Right violates or conflicts with any other Right, one of the two isn't actually a Right.

I've tried to point this out to people, but it's difficult for most to understand. We often hear, even from legal professionals who should know better, that different peoples' rights need to be "balanced" against each other - as if my rights could somehow take away from your rights. So we read things like, "what's the proper balance between religious freedom and LGBT rights," or, "we must find a way to balance the right to bear arms with the rights of gun violence victims and their families." Those are just examples.

"Balancing" one right against another really means denying one person's rights, so that someone else can exercise some other right. Why are we claiming someone has a right to something, if that something infringes on someone else's right to some other thing? What kind of "rights" are these, that must be denied to one person, so that someone else can have their right to something else? We've changed the old adage from "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins," into, "Your right to unlimited fist-swinging in others' faces must be balanced against my right to unlimited lebensraum for my nose."

The latter formula isn't talking about rights at all, though. You can't call something a right, and then take away that right by "balancing" it against some other right. The very nature of rights consists in their being things that must not be taken away. This is why our rights are in such danger at this point in American history. We no longer believe they are rights. We've replaced them with, I don't know, talking points? Competing values?

To go back to my examples, if we say that religious rights must be balanced against the rights of people that violate sexual taboos; then we're admitting that both types of rights exist, and we're going to violate at least one of them. Instead, we should define the boundaries of each set of rights, and the government should respect both sets of rights fully. The religious have the right to live out our religious beliefs in real life (even if it means that, for example, religious schools can exclude homosexual teachers); and those who live differently have the right to live their own lives (even if it contradicts my religion). The same goes for the gun rights/victims' rights issues, and everything else.

Sorry for the rant. :unsure:

#6 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

The very nature of rights consists in their being things that must not be taken away. This is why our rights are in such danger at this point in American history. We no longer believe they are rights. We've replaced them with, I don't know, talking points? Competing values?

I believe it to be some combination of asserting moral equivalence between Natural Rights and entitlements, virtue signaling on the part of those unwilling to reason, and malevolence on the part of those who believe they know better than you do what's best for you.

Reminds me of a quote...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C. S. Lewis

Keep on ranting, friend.

#7 CarlosDo

CarlosDo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:09 AM

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. Franklin D. Roosevelt

• Scott Johnson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users