2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:10 AM

This is just to share an idea or two and maybe possibly help out a fellow DIYer.

I bought this pen off of amazon https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Problem #1

When it showed up I noticed it is very smooth and hard to hold without using a firm grip. 

My solution is to add 1/2 inch heat shrink tubing to the end. I hit it with a flame and it did shrink. A few weeks later I noticed the rubber tubing moved a bit. Whatever, pushed it back in place and used a lighter again. The odd part it I had to really push the rubber on the first time before shrinking it. The tubing was just a little too small which I thought was great. Last night I noticed it moved again.

This time I took the heat shrink tubing off and applied a bit of glue. Seems good this morning but the glue needs a day or two to cure.

If I have more problems I just might take my dremel to the pen and carve some grooves around the end.

Problem #2

The end sometimes unscrews a few turns while it is on my belt. The pen hasn't come apart yet.

Idea #1 - Apply something to the threads so the pen is a little harder to open and close. Plumbers' tape maybe.

Idea #2 - I think it's the rubber tubing that is grabbing my clothes and turning the end of the pen. Removing the rubber and dealing with a hard to hold pen could solve the problem. Not a fan of that option.

Idea #3 - Do nothing and just get in the habit of checking the pen several times a day.

Idea #4 - Screw the end down so the ink insert is exposed - more turns before the pen comes apart.

Idea #5 - The two halves of the pen screws together with an o-ring which offers resistance to opening and closing. This could be a little thicker. Finding that could be time consuming. 

Leaning towards the plumbers' tape.

Edit: the threads are completely hidden so no plumbers' tape.

#2 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:54 AM

Haven't had a problem with the heat shrink tubing moving since gluing it.

Forgot all about addressing the pen unscrewing issue, probably because it isn't happening anymore. Not sure why. Maybe just because stuff happens.

#3 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:37 AM

Last night I found the pen almost came apart again.

Applied some Loctite 242 Blue removable to the threads using a toothpick. Very little is needed.

It's just enough resistance so the pen now needs a bit of effort to unthread.

Pen still operates as designed - twisting the pen counter clockwise retracts the ink insert.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen, heat shrink, glue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users