12 replies to this topic

#1 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

First aid kit and items are essential to many of us, but there are messy political and legal reasons that may arise from treating OTHERS with your first aid kit, so who here has training?

I know where I live, having an appropriate accrediation from a group such as St. John Ambulance or the Red Cross brings with it a certain level of legal autonomy, providing you follow certain rules. I'm interested to hear what levels of training you all have.

I'm in the process of renewing my first aid with CPR and AED, and I found that one of the colleges here does a weekend supplementary course to first aid training for Advanced Wound Care, and there is also a first aid course available in Ontario for dealing with mental health crisis, which is a type of first response care that is severely lacking around these parts.

• John B., Marc and Chris Szaroleta like this

#2 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

I'm certified in CPR and AED. Since I'm a baseball and football coach, my school makes us get that certification and re-cert every year. The course is the same each time and a little boring, but it's always a great refresher! 

• Stupendous Walrus, Marc and Chris Szaroleta like this

#3 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

CPR and AED here.  Advanced wound care does sound like a nice addition.  I find that it's difficult to recall everything I learned in the class since I don't have enough (any) practical application.  The knowledge goes into "cold storage" and then has to be retrieved once trouble occurs.  I've read back through the book a couple times, but until I'm in a situation that warrants use of this training, it'll be difficult to gauge what that experience will be like.

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#4 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:50 PM

I'm certified in CPR and AED. Since I'm a baseball and football coach, my school makes us get that certification and re-cert every year. The course is the same each time and a little boring, but it's always a great refresher!

You I figured would have tese types of qualifications due to your job.

CPR and AED here.  Advanced wound care does sound like a nice addition.  I find that it's difficult to recall everything I learned in the class since I don't have enough (any) practical application.  The knowledge goes into "cold storage" and then has to be retrieved once trouble occurs.  I've read back through the book a couple times, but until I'm in a situation that warrants use of this training, it'll be difficult to gauge what that experience will be like.

I've used my training a couple times in non-life threatening situations that still required hospital trips, and the necessities came back fairly quickly.
  • John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#5 Parker

Parker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

I'm a state certified EMT in PA and a current nursing student.  I have some advanced training due to working with military medics and online seminars I have been a part of.  If fit hits the shan while I'm hiking with someone or something like that I'm doing everything I know how to do.  

When it comes to 1st aid on the street, PA has the good Samaritan act which protects you from lawsuits while acting within your scope of practice.  SO although I have some assessments and procedures I can do in the hospital as a student, those same procedures could end with a big fine and lawsuit on the street.  so when it it comes to John Doe on the street, you are getting what I can do under my EMT.  

• Stupendous Walrus, John B., Marc and 1 other like this

#6 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:20 AM

We have the good Samaritan act here as well.  You are protected from law suits as long as you try to help within your capacity.

• Stupendous Walrus, John B., Jim Carr and 1 other like this

#7 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:29 AM

Something I've been wanting to do is take the WMI wilderness first responder course, it's a weeklong course that takes you through everything you need to know to respond to a backcountry emergency. Since I backpack and rock climb I figure that it would probably be something I'll neeed to use at some point.
  • Stupendous Walrus, John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#8 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

Something I've been wanting to do is take the WMI wilderness first responder course, it's a weeklong course that takes you through everything you need to know to respond to a backcountry emergency. Since I backpack and rock climb I figure that it would probably be something I'll neeed to use at some point.

Ditto on that, Caleb.

#9 Vasco Cardoso

Vasco Cardoso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

I'm a Vet, so by Portuguese law I can act as an MD in extreme circumstances. That being said, I wouldn't like to have to perform an emergency tracheotomy unless I really have to.

But with the Kershaw, Parker Jotter and some Vodka someone would be breathing again...

• Stupendous Walrus, John B., Marc and 2 others like this

#10 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

Awesome stuff guys. Also, thanks Parker and Vasco for what you do.

I enjoyed doing work-mandated first aid enough that I started paying out of pocket for more levels of training. I would also like to do some wilderness survival/medicine training this summer.

• John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#11 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

Survival training I got. More than I wanted. Medical training is rough and basic, and not pretty. 

• Stupendous Walrus, John B., Jim Carr and 1 other like this

#12 Jambon

Jambon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:06 AM

With regard to the legal difficulties of delivering emergency medical treatment. In the UK given my level of medical training and as a nurse I can be taken to court if I don't step in. I am obliged to intervene.

#13 Jim Carr

Jim Carr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

First aid kit and items are essential to many of us, but there are messy political and legal reasons that may arise from treating OTHERS with your first aid kit, so who here has training?

I know where I live, having an appropriate accrediation from a group such as St. John Ambulance or the Red Cross brings with it a certain level of legal autonomy, providing you follow certain rules. I'm interested to hear what levels of training you all have.

I'm in the process of renewing my first aid with CPR and AED, and I found that one of the colleges here does a weekend supplementary course to first aid training for Advanced Wound Care, and there is also a first aid course available in Ontario for dealing with mental health crisis, which is a type of first response care that is severely lacking around these parts.

I am certified as a St. Johns Ambulance First Aid, Level C with AED certification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users