Flashlight in my Carry-On bag?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Andy

Andy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

I own a Insight HX200 flashlight and its 7.5 inches long.

Should I just check it in my luggage or risk the TSA having this light confiscated?

The TSA rule is that tools over 7 inches long are prohibited in a carry-on bag.

Should I risk it, or just check it in my luggage to be on the safe side?

You can do a search for on this type of light to see what it looks like and its been discontinued.

With that said, I don't want to loose this light by TSA taking it away from me.

I really need your thoughts on this.

Thanks

#2 The Narrow Gent

The Narrow Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

Depends on how strict the TSA guys are. I have dealt with guys who won't allow things that are allowed just because they can. If you are really that worried about loosing the light, then just check it, or bring a smaller light. 

#3 Andy

Andy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

I don't have another smaller light. I was very lucky enough to get two Insight HX200s as these lights are discontinued and very hard to get. So this is the only light I want to travel with. So yeah, as you said, I will have to check it in my luggage.

Thanks

#4 lindongna

lindongna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:25 PM

I have Outdoor USB Rechargeable Mini Flashlight B10,The Rechargeable Mini Flashlight B10;Beautiful patent appearance design with compact size; Using USA CREE XP-E2 R3 LED, and 16340 li-ion battery. only 2.56 inches in length, B10 delivers max 200-lumen output. Safety & high efficiencu circuit design, gold plating spring never rust, and mode :high-middle-low-flashlight. Pedestrian lighting, usage and so on.

#5 Bladerunner337

Bladerunner337

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

I travel with a Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA in my pocket, and a Maglite LED Solitaire in my bag as a backup.  No problems, just remove it from your pocket and put in the bin with your shoes, watch, wallet, etc.. and you should be fine.  This hasn't change whether I've gone through security in Spain, Korea, Japan  or the U.S. 

I agree, if you're concerned, check it ,and spend since I dont' know where you're located but assuming the U.S. as you mentioned TSA, head to a local home depot, wal mart or Target.  The Solitaire LED is 10-12$ and put a couple of AAA's in your carry on as spares is my suggestion ;).

Safe Travels!

#6 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

Give it up guys.  I simply surrender to the mighty TSA.  Just don't bring any edc from now on, lol.

~v~

#7 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

Give it up guys.  I simply surrender to the mighty TSA.  Just don't bring any edc from now on, lol.

~v~

This video was hilarious!  Thanks for sharing it!

#8 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

I own a Insight HX200 flashlight and its 7.5 inches long.

Should I just check it in my luggage or risk the TSA having this light confiscated?

The TSA rule is that tools over 7 inches long are prohibited in a carry-on bag.

Should I risk it, or just check it in my luggage to be on the safe side?

You can do a search for on this type of light to see what it looks like and its been discontinued.

With that said, I don't want to loose this light by TSA taking it away from me.

I really need your thoughts on this.

Thanks

I'm coming into this thread fairly late; but I'm curious whether you already made the trip, and how it went.  Did you end up checking the bag in your luggage, or trying to include it in your carry-on? If you opted to do the latter, did all go okay with the TSA?

As a flashlight fanatic, I'm trying to understand the appeal of the HX200.  I read the specifications, and watched some video reviews of the light, to try and understand.

By today's standards, the output is less than stellar, and the run time, extremely low, for such a lower-powered light. 

It's also a very large light, with an awkward interface, that only seems to support the dreaded CR123 primary batteries, so it would cost a fortune, to keep it always ready to go, and with full output, without spending a a ton of money on batteries, if it's a light that you use heavily.

I gave up CR123-only lights years ago, and have never looked back. I opted for mostly 18650-powered lights (many of which will support the use of 2 CR123 batteries, in a pinch - but not really a practical option, for a heavy use light - unless you live and use the light in sub-zero temperatures, and store it in your vehicle year-round), and that opened up my options, tremendously.

Today's lights are far more compact, far more powerful (although with the option to use any of several lower modes, to conserve batteries and obtain much longer run times), with better interfaces, a wider selection of tints, fully regulated output, etc., and cost far less money than lights of just five years ago. Or, if you're dead-set on a large light, you can still buy one, but with much higher output, and with incredible long range beams.

If you travel a lot, and you'd like help finding a light that is TSA-friendly, and also fulfills all your needs, without breaking the bank, please give us a shout, and we will be happy to recommend many high quality, super capable lights, to fit your budget.  You'd be amazed at what's available, these days.

• KlaudeMarks likes this

#9 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

I'm coming into this thread fairly late; but I'm curious whether you already made the trip, and how it went. Did you end up checking the bag in your luggage, or trying to include it in your carry-on? If you opted to do the latter, did all go okay with the TSA?

As a flashlight fanatic, I'm trying to understand the appeal of the HX200. I read the specifications, and watched some video reviews of the light, to try and understand.

By today's standards, the output is less than stellar, and the run time, extremely low, for such a lower-powered light.

It's also a very large light, with an awkward interface, that only seems to support the dreaded CR123 primary batteries, so it would cost a fortune, to keep it always ready to go, and with full output, without spending a a ton of money on batteries, if it's a light that you use heavily.

I gave up CR123-only lights years ago, and have never looked back. I opted for mostly 18650-powered lights (many of which will support the use of 2 CR123 batteries, in a pinch - but not really a practical option, for a heavy use light - unless you live and use the light in sub-zero temperatures, and store it in your vehicle year-round), and that opened up my options, tremendously.

Today's lights are far more compact, far more powerful (although with the option to use any of several lower modes, to conserve batteries and obtain much longer run times), with better interfaces, a wider selection of tints, fully regulated output, etc., and cost far less money than lights of just five years ago. Or, if you're dead-set on a large light, you can still buy one, but with much higher output, and with incredible long range beams.

If you travel a lot, and you'd like help finding a light that is TSA-friendly, and also fulfills all your needs, without breaking the bank, please give us a shout, and we will be happy to recommend many high quality, super capable lights, to fit your budget. You'd be amazed at what's available, these days.

Awesome read, but information overload for sure

Traveling East

#10 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:01 AM

Awesome read, but information overload for sure

At least it was "an awesome read". 

LMAO

#11 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

What is up with all the SPAM posts inundating this thread - one, right after another ???

Post #s 11 through 57 all seem to advertise service from the same essay writing website, but under different user names (probably hacked...).

Edit - looks like it's been handled. 

Thanks, you guys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Alexa (1)