2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:27 AM

A few years back I bought one of these but found I never used it and took it out of my wallet.

https://www.amazon.c... ize doohickey 

Recently I gave it a light test to see if it would bend. It failed miserably. It's now in the trash.

My test was to hold the DookicKey with a Leatherman Wave, for added leverage, and hold the flat end with another pair of pliers. Didn't take much effort to bend the Doo.

I went easy.

Has anyone else tested their keychain tools to see if they will work when needed?

#2 Austin

Austin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

I have had this version for a couple years now and carried it every day on my key chain up until a few months ago. I never personally stress tested it in this way but in my normal usage it has never failed me. Granted I have very rarely used certain aspects of this tool, but when I needed that function I was around a full sized tool. I also think that your test probably exploited a weak spot if I am reading your description correctly. Bending it the way you did puts all of the stress on the smallest part, whereas normal usage does not typically put to much pressure here. Of course I could be misreading. As of now I keep the Nite Ize Doohickey QuicKey on my key organizer an basically use it exclusively as a bottle opener.

#3 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

You are right

I have had this version for a couple years now and carried it every day on my key chain up until a few months ago. I never personally stress tested it in this way but in my normal usage it has never failed me. Granted I have very rarely used certain aspects of this tool, but when I needed that function I was around a full sized tool. I also think that your test probably exploited a weak spot if I am reading your description correctly. Bending it the way you did puts all of the stress on the smallest part, whereas normal usage does not typically put to much pressure here. Of course I could be misreading. As of now I keep the Nite Ize Doohickey QuicKey on my key organizer an basically use it exclusively as a bottle opener.

Hi Austin

Maybe it wasn't a fair test but it is advertised as a prybar and should have stood up to the light pressure I applied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users