18 replies to this topic

#1 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

I said I'd never buy another high end knife after I traded my Ritter Grip, but I just didn't use it much. I love my Victorinox Pioneer and my Case Sodbuster (CV Steel), but I've got an itch to go high end(ish) again. I know high end to some guys is in the hundreds to thousands, but I high end to me is like $200 lol. Regardless, I'm not a collector and looking for a good knife for daily use. Mainly just EDC work tasks like box cutting, plastic straps, anything in my lawn care business, etc. I'm looking for a size between my Victorinox and Sodbuster...I love slip joints, but wouldn't mind a locking mechanism. 

What are your thoughts on the Spyderco PM3 or Benchmade Proper? Also have considered the Esee Izula 2, but not sure I'd enjoy a fixed EDC. Welcome to other suggestions too. Maybe even the Endura, but my dad has the Dragonfly 2, and I know the scales material is the same on the endura, so I'd prefer something a little more sturdy? in my hand...you know what I mean. 

#2 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

Most of the knives you mention are in the lighter weight arena so I am assuming that is what you are looking for. Otherwise i would normally suggest a ZT which are more heavily built than spydercos and benchmades. The PM3 is a good choice. I have not personally handled one but the PM2 is a knife that i like. Alternatively, spyderco has a new compression lock knife coming soon called the Shaman. I personally really dig the design on the shaman

If you want to go the traditional slipjoint route and want something classy, look up Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC). Those can be rare as they only make so many and are in high demand, but well worth hunting down
  • KlaudeMarks likes this

#3 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

Yes, I love the Sodbuster versions of GEC, I hope to one-day get one. Also, good suggestion on the Shaman, I really dig that. Luckily, I live 30 minutes from Smoky Mountain Knife Works so I'll keep an eye out for it, will definitely out that high on my list to check out

#4 The Narrow Gent

The Narrow Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

I'd go with PM2 with Flytanium scales (copper or titanium). PM3 is a good choice as well, though you may have to wait a bit to get some good custom scales for it like the PM2 has. 

#5 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

PM 2 is too big for my liking, that's why I'm leaning toward the 3. I need to go handle both of them and see how they feel though

#6 Moose

Moose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

How about the Spyderco Urban in K390 steel? Absolutely vanishes (in a good way) in the pocket. Firm slipjoint. More comfy in hand than a Dragonfly. It also feels surprisingly sturdy despite FRN scales..

If you don't fancy the swanky K390 steel or the grey FRN it comes in, how's about the cheaper yet throughly decent N690 dressed in black?

As some one who wants as much knife as I can get in as compact a package as possible I have been very pleased with the Urban and can't praise it enough.

I look forward to your thoughts on whichever knife you decide on in the end.

#7 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

As in the past, I make no bones about being a 100% dedicated Benchmade fan. Nothing else comes close in that price range in any category, and in my opinion, no one makes a better lock on a folder. Period.  I bent my own rule a year or so ago and bought a ZT because of all the hype, and hype is all it was. Over priced hype at that.  It ended up in the tool box, then moved to living it's life in the glove box of my boat as a utilitarian knife. Never again will I own a ZT knife. 

#8 Moose

Moose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:45 PM

The 520 Presidio is one of my all time favourite production knives.  If they were still in production I would suggest the 525 as a perfect fit for the op's requirements.

#9 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

Urban has been on my list for awhile, but I'm not sure on the size, as in, not sure I'd like it. I think if I'm going to get a slip joint, it would be the Benchmade Proper or a GEC.

Coldwater, I do have to admit I've always wanted an adamas, but I'm waiting to find the right deal popup on that, also dig the Benchmade 940's.

Ugh, so many suggestions, so little time !

#10 Moose

Moose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

That's what I felt about the Urban before I finally bit the bullet and got one.  I had a G10 Spyderco UKPK and thought for years it was the perfect UK edc and pooh poohed the smaller G10 Urban. But after a few years feeling very self concious using such a 'too useful' looking slipjoint in public (I'm UK based and most Brits aren't used to seeing modern style pocket knives) I got myself a beautiful and more public friendly Boker WC Davis II small hunter.  Despite being the prettiest (and most expensive) production slippy I own, over time I missed the practicality of oho. Enter the overlooked Urban... The great ergos, f&f, affordable price and practicality of the UKPK but in a friendlier size.  Due to the care Sal Glesser has taken, the Urban still is a hand filling design and though more discreet then the UKPK I have not found the Urban lacking in ability.  I think I'm trying to say "it's not as small as it looks" if that makes sense.

Alternately I do recommend the Boker WC Davis II as a traditional penknife with great materials, classic yet contemporary good looks. Another left field suggestion is the Fallkniven TK4.  Laminated steel, convex edge, very light, lockback...

I love that BM are moving into slipjoints but just never liked wharncliff blades.

We are truly spoilt for choice :D

• KlaudeMarks likes this

#11 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

The FALLKNIVEN is also on the list, the size looks nice, plus it's a lock back.

#12 Moose

Moose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:24 AM

What'd you get? :P

#13 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:47 PM

Well I'm still on the hunt. I might have lost my Case Sodbuster in CV steel which I really liked (fell out of pocket while visiting family), so I'm looking for a replacement.

Currently I'm carrying my SAK pioneer everyday. I am considering the Spyderco Delica, Rat 2, Case Sodbuster junior, mini grip (if I can find used), and whatever else catches my eye.

In a nutshell, I haven't found anything yet, lol.

#14 Dane

Dane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

I don't see how you could go wrong with a ZT. It's within your price range(depending on model), they are work horses and if your going to be doing things like box cutting you're going to dull your blade and these sharpen up very nicely.  Zero Tolerance knives wont slip in your hand and wont break under pressure either. 

#15 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

I'm not really looking to even spend $100 on the mini grip, mainly because I lose knives. I want quality but something I won't miss. I'd miss a ZT

#16 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Well given the original context of this post, what I have narrowed down to are more inexpensive knives, and thus, my decision may be disappointing. Looking between the rat 2 and delica 4. Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

Eventually I will buy an adamas, but when funds are right. I figure if I need to use a more sturdy know I keep a Mora in my truck and have some other fixed blades for hunting and bushcraft.

#17 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:11 PM

Update, I went with the rat 2 and received it today. I'm honestly impressed with the quality of this knife for $30.
  • Ron likes this

#18 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

You will like the Rat 2. I own three of them now and a Rat 1.
  • KlaudeMarks likes this

#19 Moose

Moose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

Great choice. I love the RAT 1. It's my go to woods walking folder.

• Ron likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users