EDC Duplicate Knife

23 replies to this topic

#21 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:17 AM

Personally, I don't see the point of carrying multiple blades unless one is a dedicated folder and the other is part of a multitool. I would carry multiple knives, since I like them, but the weight and function wouldn't make sense. Unless we want to stick out like a sore thumb and wear big, baggy cargo pants 24/7, there just isn't room to carry multiple pocket knives. But there is nothing wrong with carrying a new knife everyday/every other day. 

I never wear cargos. I just keep the larger blade in my left front pocket, next to my flashlight; and the smaller one in my right front, next to my keys. (Sometimes I put the big one in a leather case, on my belt.) Of course, I cheat, by having a side leg phone pocket on all of my pants...

#22 Joshua

Joshua

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:36 AM

I usually carry two different size knives. One full or normal size knife, right now I'm carrying a Benchmade Bugout, I also like my Spyderco Endura 4 FFG plain edge. Then I carry a Spyderco dragonfly in my coin pocket. For most tasks the Dragonfly is great, and much less intimidating to others than a full size knife. However, I like to have that larger, full size blade in case I need it. I also carry a Leatherman Wave horizontally on my belt with the bit kit, bit extension, and a little maglite solitaire. I'm a bigger guy and I don't really mind carrying more stuff. I really don't seem to notice most of it. 

• Moose likes this

#23 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

The "two is one and one is none" quote came from the SEALS who believed in the wisdom of redundant critical systems/tools/ weapons. They also understood that one can only go so far with redundancy before mass, weight, and combat efficiency become a factor.

I have carried and used redundant systems and weapons in the past when I didn't have a choice as to whether I was going into a dangerous or potentially dangerous area. I do so today because I understand that the 'expected' is often accompanied by the 'unexpected'. I have logged one time when having a back-up was advantageous, and one time when I was wishing I had a back-up.

• Moose likes this

#24 Todd Davis

Todd Davis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:46 AM

I carry a Leatherman Crater knife that also has a phillips and a regular screwdriver. I also carry a leatherman Sidekick.  As a Firefighter/Paramedic I find that this combination allows me to accomplish most things that I want to.  By having both, one on my left side, one on my right I can get to them easily no matter what is going on.  I also like the ability to have different tools available on both.  The only thing they do not offer is scissors. I cover that by having a Leatherman Raptor mounted to the outside of my EDC bag.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EDC, Duplicate, Knife

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users