EDC Duplicate Knife

23 replies to this topic

#1 Matty

Matty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:12 AM

I've noticed that peoples EDC collections frequently have more than one version of a tool. Often its a couple of Leatherman or several sorts of pen, but most often, people seem to carry multiple knives.

Why add this kind of redundancy? Surely one good knife is enough for an EDC situation? Any duplicate is surely unnecessary weight and pocket space?

I've seen EDC collections with three or more knives and the owner claims "minimalism" and "simplicity" as their carry ethic.

Thoughts anyone?

• Scott Johnson likes this

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

I wonder about tis as well. I do keep redundancy in my EDC bag to some extent. Only one big multitool, but two additional knives. One regular pocket knife and one swiss army for the added tools it has, and a few smaller usually often used items. As far as on my person? No. I hate being weighted down with multiple knives flashlights clips toys tins pouches and the like. One gun, one phone, card wallet and one knife. 

#3 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

I get the appeal of carrying more than one knife. One big and one small with the small one for use in which an intimidating knife is inappropriate. Also as knife nuts, the more of our pretty knives we get to put to use the better. That said, i tried my hand at carrying 2 knives, it wasnt for me. I kept scratching my car's paint with the clip of the second knife when getting in. So i stopped
  • Joshua, Moose and Scott Johnson like this

#4 Highlander

Highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:45 AM

plain and simple a few reasons, if one is damaged you have another, another thing is you keep a defense knife sharp for use while you keep one for everyday use that is not as important to get dull on you 

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

I carry two knives everywhere I go but the second one is part of my keys which is a light weight SAK Alox Cadet and the main knife is pocket carry. Same for flashlights, one in my pocket one on my keys. I have been in the situation where I have needed both at the same time so I always carry a back up.

#6 International Man Of Myst

International Man Of Myst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

New York City limits you to a knife just larger than a safety pin so no need for duplicate knives. I started carrying redundant items (other than knives) and you refine over time to reliable items (that said - I do carry two flashlights and multiple pens).

#7 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

in the example of knives...

2 knives = possibility of 2 edge styles (serrated and plain)

2 knives = possibility of 2 sizes (so as not to intimidate, to be able to cut food in one swipe, to handle larger cutting chores...)

2 knives = accessible by the 2 hands, if one is occupied (holding onto something, grabbing what needs to be cut, wounded...)

2 knives = two cutting styles (ex: wide wharncliffe blade to use as a boxcutter and thin, pointy one for piercing and punching holes)

2 knives = possibility of lending to someone or damaging/losing one and still having a backup

same can be applied for multitools, lights, SAKs...it's pure complementation and overlapping so as to fill  any gaps and achieve total versatility

• Moose, Ron and Robert -White Feather like this

#8 Robert -White Feather

Robert -White Feather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

When I worked in a kitchen I only carried one small knife, but I was surrounded by a slew of kitchen knives.  Now I always seem to have 2 knives on me at all times, a folder, either my ZT or Cryo II, and another on my belt.  If I plan on some heavy use, I'll take one that I don't mind scratching up a bit.  Only 1 flashlight, no SAK but I have a CRKT Viva on my belt, trying to keep my pockets fairly empty.

#9 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:31 PM

I carry more than one knife (or I prefer to), just because I like knives. I like to carry a medium-sized blade (about 4 inches long), for its overall utility; and a Victorinox Pioneer, for its more specialized tools.

And because I really like knives.

• Moose, Ron and Paul Tobeck like this

#10 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:29 AM

Good topic.

I carry a Leatherman Wave 2 always. I too don't see the need for multiple knives. I do use a box cutter at work but that doesn't get carried around at work.

As for defence purposes, really? Do you carry a trauma kit because no one walks away from a knife fight with excessive bleeding.

The most useless redundancy I've seen is one guy with 3 baby prybars on his keychain. Whatever happened to using a screwdriver on a multi tool?

• coldwater, Moose and Snoopnpoop like this

#11 The Narrow Gent

The Narrow Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Personally, I don't see the point of carrying multiple blades unless one is a dedicated folder and the other is part of a multitool. I would carry multiple knives, since I like them, but the weight and function wouldn't make sense. Unless we want to stick out like a sore thumb and wear big, baggy cargo pants 24/7, there just isn't room to carry multiple pocket knives. But there is nothing wrong with carrying a new knife everyday/every other day. 

• Moose likes this

#12 Dane USMC

Dane USMC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

I sometimes carry multiple knives on me and there are a couple of reasons.  One reason I might carry more than one knife is if I am in an area that I dont trust.  In this situation I might carry a good full tang blade concealed for defensive purposes and a smaller folder for the day to day purposes. Another reason is that I am not a very trusting person when it comes to the world these days, you never know where or when some nut might go off and I like feeling secure and also being able to equip another person with me. 

#13 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

Two is One, One is None.

• Mikey Bautista, Moose, Ron and 1 other like this

#14 Paul Tobeck

Paul Tobeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

On my person, I typically carry my main EDC blade, currently a Kershaw Cryo, clipped into my right pocket and a smaller secondary blade as part of a SAK or keychain tool like my Style CS.

I always have a backup blade in a Maxpedition Fatty that rides in my EDC bag. Currently that's a CRKT Drifter because it's not nearly as slick as my Cryo, and it lacks the option of tip-up carry.

• Moose likes this

#15 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

My main pocket knife is a BB Spyderco Urban carried in the coin pocket.  I  pair it up with a Sak (for the tools) in a pouch or other pocket. But I do also carry a little oho Sanrenmu and a Spyderco Bug on my keys.  The Sanrenmu is so small that its mass is neglible amongst all the other stuff on my keyring, and the Bug because it's been on my keys for years and is if I took it off it'd just end up lost in the bottom of a drawer.

To be fair, I rarely use the Sanrenmu (apart from as a fidget toy), and the Bug next to never. 

I usually get all my general edc cutting done between the Urban (knife) and the Sak (scissors).

Then again, I don't claim to be an edc minimalist.  I carry a Maxpedition Micro in my daypack stuffed to the gills with redundant items, torch, spare batts, Victorinox alox solo, zebra pen, usb charger + cable, boo boo kit, pain killers, meds etc. Its almost  a game to me to see how much potentially useful crap I can fit into a small space.

(all started for me back in the day with tabacco tin survival kits - The SAS Survival Handbook has a lot to answer for) 

The Micro kit has come in handy on occasion and so in my mind justifies its place in my day bag.

Apologies, I digress...

Imo the Urban is an excellent pocket slip-joint; the perfect oho single blade knife for UK carry (as is the UKPK).  The Sak has simply been worth its weight in gold on too many occasions to count.

This is why I carry two cutting tools.   They serve distinct purposes and I would loathe be without either of them in my edc set. 

But.......  At times when my carry has to be the bare bones, the Spyderco gets the knife slot. 

• Ron likes this

#16 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

When I read this I thought you were describing myself. My wife used to call it a sickness until I put a SAK Cadet Alox and a Thrunite TiHi in her purse..now it’s all good. Haha

#17 Syafiq

Syafiq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:51 AM

i only carry one knife and that's it. I don't see myself needing two different size of knife so it's either a cadet alox or a spyderco ukpk but never those two together.
  • coldwater likes this

#18 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

The whole two is one, one is none is one of those pithy saying that ultimately sounds more clever than it is. If two is one, then it’s none and I should probably carry three. Follow that logic and pretty soon you are wearing a 60L pack for all of your redundancies.

Just on me I have a pair of folders, plus my bag has a Leatherman Wave in it. Why two knives, both folders, both fine edge? Because after a hatchet a knife if the most useful tool you can carry. People looked at me funny when I carried a knife and a hatchet everywhere, so now it’s two knives.

I carry a Higo no Kami carbon steel folder, which was delivered as a kit, meaning the grind was trash and the blade was dull. Ten minutes with diamond stones and I can shave with it. That shaving edge will last about a week, whether I use it or not. It fits in a little three slot, home made pouch with a raw brass Fisher bullet pen, and a Mag-Lite Solitare. Total replacement cost of contents? About $40, it’ll take me an hour or so to throw together another pouch. This goes with me every where. When my clothing allows it I carry a Gerber Paraframe because I can. I can shave with that one too for about a week after I sharpen it.

I do not carry a knife for self defense. For that I carry minimal cash and insure my phone. In the long run they are much cheaper than hospital and legal bills stemming from being charged with assault with a deadly weapon. If where I am going causes me to be genuinely concerned about my safety? I take a hard look why I’m going, most of the time, I don’t need to go there.

I follow a Be Prepared mindset. When you look at the tools you need to get through and learn how to improvise, you discover you don’t need most of the junk you thought you couldn’t live without.

Just realized I carry three flashlights. Maybe it’s time to cut down.

#19 Snoopnpoop

Snoopnpoop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

I Love knives, and I am constantly in a state of trying to resist carrying more. I do not NEED more for general everyday life, but I just love them! All the different lengths and grinds and styles and steels! :)

But so far I have always kept it down to two: the folder I keep in my pocket and the blade on the Leatherman I keep in my EDC bag. Both see a lot of use, and both are diligently maintained.

I see no reason why people shouldn't carry more, if it makes them happy and they are ok with the extra bulk and weight. My old beat up Army Ka-Bar is my favorite knife I own, and though I often take it hunting and camping, it would never be my EDC knife.

I agree with Scott Johnson's sentiment above about carrying a knife as a defensive weapon - unless you train frequently and seriously in the art of knife fighting, you are better off just using your fists or running away. Inexperienced knife-wielders are just as likely to hurt themselves as the bad guy, and if the aggressor is trained in knife handling and you are not, well, he's probably gonna get it from you and stab you with it.

Not cool!

If you like the idea of carrying a defensive knife, at least sign up for a martial arts class or on-going self defense classes where you can be trained to use it correctly. Training is everything! I'd rather go up against an amateur with a machete than an experienced knife fighter with a 2" blade.

#20 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

The Roman legion used to talk about a measurement of around two inches on a blade was all it took to kill a person. Throat, back of the head, inner thigh, eye, and a variety of other places on the human body take less than 5cm of blade to cause a mortal injury.

After training in Kali for a while, I can assure you that you aren’t a knife fighter. (The general you, not any one specifically) I know about two dashes of knife and stick fighting, and it’s enough to know I’m not interested in getting in that fight.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EDC, Duplicate, Knife

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users