EDC Duplicate Knife

11 replies to this topic

#1 Matty

Matty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:12 AM

I've noticed that peoples EDC collections frequently have more than one version of a tool. Often its a couple of Leatherman or several sorts of pen, but most often, people seem to carry multiple knives.

Why add this kind of redundancy? Surely one good knife is enough for an EDC situation? Any duplicate is surely unnecessary weight and pocket space?

I've seen EDC collections with three or more knives and the owner claims "minimalism" and "simplicity" as their carry ethic.

Thoughts anyone?

• Scott Johnson likes this

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

I wonder about tis as well. I do keep redundancy in my EDC bag to some extent. Only one big multitool, but two additional knives. One regular pocket knife and one swiss army for the added tools it has, and a few smaller usually often used items. As far as on my person? No. I hate being weighted down with multiple knives flashlights clips toys tins pouches and the like. One gun, one phone, card wallet and one knife. 

#3 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

I get the appeal of carrying more than one knife. One big and one small with the small one for use in which an intimidating knife is inappropriate. Also as knife nuts, the more of our pretty knives we get to put to use the better. That said, i tried my hand at carrying 2 knives, it wasnt for me. I kept scratching my car's paint with the clip of the second knife when getting in. So i stopped
  • Scott Johnson likes this

#4 Highlander

Highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:45 AM

plain and simple a few reasons, if one is damaged you have another, another thing is you keep a defense knife sharp for use while you keep one for everyday use that is not as important to get dull on you 

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

I carry two knives everywhere I go but the second one is part of my keys which is a light weight SAK Alox Cadet and the main knife is pocket carry. Same for flashlights, one in my pocket one on my keys. I have been in the situation where I have needed both at the same time so I always carry a back up.

#6 International Man Of Mystery

International Man Of Mystery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

New York City limits you to a knife just larger than a safety pin so no need for duplicate knives. I started carrying redundant items (other than knives) and you refine over time to reliable items (that said - I do carry two flashlights and multiple pens).

#7 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

in the example of knives...

2 knives = possibility of 2 edge styles (serrated and plain)

2 knives = possibility of 2 sizes (so as not to intimidate, to be able to cut food in one swipe, to handle larger cutting chores...)

2 knives = accessible by the 2 hands, if one is occupied (holding onto something, grabbing what needs to be cut, wounded...)

2 knives = two cutting styles (ex: wide wharncliffe blade to use as a boxcutter and thin, pointy one for piercing and punching holes)

2 knives = possibility of lending to someone or damaging/losing one and still having a backup

same can be applied for multitools, lights, SAKs...it's pure complementation and overlapping so as to fill  any gaps and achieve total versatility

• Ron and Robert -White Feather like this

#8 Robert -White Feather

Robert -White Feather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

When I worked in a kitchen I only carried one small knife, but I was surrounded by a slew of kitchen knives.  Now I always seem to have 2 knives on me at all times, a folder, either my ZT or Cryo II, and another on my belt.  If I plan on some heavy use, I'll take one that I don't mind scratching up a bit.  Only 1 flashlight, no SAK but I have a CRKT Viva on my belt, trying to keep my pockets fairly empty.

#9 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:31 PM

I carry more than one knife (or I prefer to), just because I like knives. I like to carry a medium-sized blade (about 4 inches long), for its overall utility; and a Victorinox Pioneer, for its more specialized tools.

And because I really like knives.

• Ron likes this

#10 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:29 AM

Good topic.

I carry a Leatherman Wave 2 always. I too don't see the need for multiple knives. I do use a box cutter at work but that doesn't get carried around at work.

As for defence purposes, really? Do you carry a trauma kit because no one walks away from a knife fight with excessive bleeding.

The most useless redundancy I've seen is one guy with 3 baby prybars on his keychain. Whatever happened to using a screwdriver on a multi tool?

• coldwater likes this

#11 The Narrow Gent

The Narrow Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Personally, I don't see the point of carrying multiple blades unless one is a dedicated folder and the other is part of a multitool. I would carry multiple knives, since I like them, but the weight and function wouldn't make sense. Unless we want to stick out like a sore thumb and wear big, baggy cargo pants 24/7, there just isn't room to carry multiple pocket knives. But there is nothing wrong with carrying a new knife everyday/every other day. 

#12 Dane

Dane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

I sometimes carry multiple knives on me and there are a couple of reasons.  One reason I might carry more than one knife is if I am in an area that I dont trust.  In this situation I might carry a good full tang blade concealed for defensive purposes and a smaller folder for the day to day purposes. Another reason is that I am not a very trusting person when it comes to the world these days, you never know where or when some nut might go off and I like feeling secure and also being able to equip another person with me. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EDC, Duplicate, Knife

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users