Spyderco? Meh!

39 replies to this topic

#1 Mick Taffy Evans

Mick Taffy Evans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:38 AM

I think my personal taste in knives is totally at odds with the world.

Whatever forum I visit I see people gushing about the Spyderco knives.   I only have the one spydie and it's a small one from the bug line.   For some reason these sharps just don't float my boat.   For sure they are well made but just don't inspire me. 

Does anybody else feel that there is too much hype surrounding these?

FWIW I'll probably pick up a UKPK at some point so I can try them but in all honesty I think I much prefer Boker.

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#2 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:30 AM

I don't have a spyderco (yet, I've been looking at the tenacious/persistence models recently) but I think that they are so well liked of the attention to the simple stuff like how on most models I've seen they're ready for left or right handed setups and things like that. I'm sure if you got one of the more expensive models you would notice more of a noticeable difference between other knives.

#3 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:34 AM

I did feel this way...sorta.  Once I owned my first Spydie, there was no turning back.  I enjoy so many of the design elements they consider with their knives.  The Spyder hole is superior to a thumb stud in my opinion.  The variety of handle scales, in design and materials, is staggering.  The leaf shape they incorporate into the majority of their blade designs is excellent for EDC.  Finally, the STEELS!  They're using many different kinds of steel in various blade models, and sometimes varying the steel within specific models for sprint runs and just to mix it up.  Good company, Great warranty.  Perhaps your mind will change one day, Mick!   ;)   

• Duff72, Plumblucky1, Stupendous Walrus and 3 others like this

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

I have never even held a spiderco knife, but they do seem to hold a lot of honor with their owners. The couple of pocket folders I have are Benchmade USA, and I really do like them. I also have 4-5 different Victorinox units, alll fantastic, all well loved. To be honest, I'm COMPLETELY overwhelmed by the knife market. The offerings are insane!

#5 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

That is kind of like judging Chevy by only buying a base model Chevy Spark and never even looking across the showroom at the C7 Corvette Stingray. Look at the Impala it's very nice too. Spyderco makes the bug line starting at $12 to new models going into the $400 range and everything in between. Please don't judge them by a $15 model. Maybe they are not for you, but do yourself a favor and give the other models a fair shake.
  • Plumblucky1, Stupendous Walrus, DevoD and 1 other like this

#6 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

I am a very recent convert. I bought my first and up to now, only Spyderco back in the fall for a very specific set of reasons. After doing so, I understand the rave about them. I love knives too much to be stuck with only one brand, but for an everyday, average guy type of pocket carry, I have yet to find a knife that beats them in the dedicated, single-blade category.

For me, the big draw is the smoothness with which they deploy, the size and reliability.
  • Duff72 and Plumblucky1 like this

#7 Plumblucky1

Plumblucky1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:20 AM

Great posts guys! I'd have to concur. Mick, Spyderco has so much to offer. But in the end your opinion is yours and that's a good thing. Spyderco is kind of like Glock in a sense that it has a cult following that can at times seem like there are no other brands out there. But at the end of the day both of those companies have earned their reputations. That being said, they are also not for everyone.

I personally love Spydercos because as Duff said, they have models all the way from affordable to high end. And all things considered, for the money I don't think you can beat an endura or a delica.
  • Duff72 and Moose like this

#8 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

Maybe I'll give them a good tire kicking when it's time to buy a new blade.

• Duff72 and Moose like this

#9 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:02 PM

Maybe I'll give them a good tire kicking when it's time to buy a new blade.

The time is now, coldwater!   ;)

#10 DevoD

DevoD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:03 PM

I agree with Duff, you can't allow one particular model to be an end all assessment on the entire Spyderco line. Then again, I'm partial like Chris, I'm also a  Spyderco fanboy but there was a time where I found their models to be a bit comical and they looked like toys to me.

My first Spyderco was a Grasshopper. I liked it, didn't love it and actually gifted it. I found it to be a fancy looking take on a traditional folder. Then I finally took the leap and bought a "real" Spyderco, a Delica. By "real" I really mean that the Delica incapsulates what Spyderco is famous for. A decent steel (VG10) that takes a ridiculous edge, ergonomic design, light weight, and ease of of opening.

However, I still wasn't smitten with Spyderco. I found it to be too light, delicate looking, and dare I say even cheap. This all changed when I put it in my rotation one Summer day. I went to a bbq and helped my buddy out with chopping veggies and meat. His knife was duller than a dowel rod so I had to use my Delica. I was amazed at how comfortable it was to hold, how smoothly it cut and how easy I could open it as well as how light it was in my shorts pocket on that hot day. I carried it for a few weeks and got very familiar with it.  

I then got intrigued by their other designs which then introduced me to the exotic and expensive world of exotic steels (S30V, ZDP-180, S35V, etc.). What's really great about Spyderco is that they offer so many interesting designs as well as a reasonable way of trying out some of these higher end steels. 

• Duff72 likes this

#11 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

The time is now, coldwater!   ;)

STOP IT!….I'm a weak man!

#12 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

We are like wolves.seek out the weak seperate them and attack. It is ruthless but effective.

#13 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

ugh….

#14 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Mick, I felt the same way about Spyderco until just recently. I have had a Spyderco Tenacious for a while, but for some reason it never really connected with me, perhaps because the ergonomics were not to my liking. I thought that Spyderco knives were overpriced and the looks really did not appeal to me. That all changed last month when I decided to try a Spyderco Delica 4 FFG. Despite not liking the ergonomics of the Tenacious, I loved the full flat grind and the leaf blade shape, and ever since getting the Delica I have been hooked. The Delica has become my favorite EDC blade because of its full flat grind, wonderfully fine edge, excellent ergonomics, and surprising light weight. I still wouldn't say that the aesthetic of Spyderco's design appeals to me because I still think most of their knives look funny, but I cannot dispute the incredible functionality and usability of Spyderco knives. I made the mistake of allowing one knife shape my opinion of the entire brand, but I am very glad that I decided to give Spyderco another chance.

• Moose likes this

#15 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

@ coldwater

I know Walrus and Dom lured you in with talk of refreshments in the back, but now that you're inside...

You're one of us.

• Duff72 and Stupendous Walrus like this

#16 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

Chris you threw me off with the profile pic change

#17 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

word to that!

#18 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

Gotta keep it fresh, gents!
  • Duff72 likes this

#19 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

"fresh" is not the adjective I had in mind.

• Duff72 likes this

#20 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:07 PM

"fresh" is not the adjective I had in mind.

Yeah, I was like, "Who is this new guy??? Ohhhhhh!" 

haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users