EDC Handguns: Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry

31 replies to this topic

#21 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

I used to live in PA, around the Allentown area.  I would open carry all the time.  In walmart, In a burger king, just anywhere really.  I never had a bad experience, just some glances, but thats it.

#22 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

The advantages I see for open carrying are desensitizing our fellow non-carrying citizens to the fact that others do.

It also has the advantage of being a deterrent to potential criminals looking to carry out crimes. Bad guys look for the weak and ill equipped to attack, people caught up not paying attention to their surroundings because their nose is buried in their I-Phone.

Open carry also gives you ease of carry. Some people find concealing a firearm every day to be tedious and sometimes won't carry because of it.

On the concealed side, I like the gray man principle and not drawing anymore attention to myself than needed. I find that the element of surprise is a big advantage and giving that up can potentially be hazardous.

I would probably take advantage of both options. Nether choice is wrong, the only answer in this case is what best serves the individual in question and their circumstances.

• John B. likes this

#23 Josh

Josh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

I Live In Connecticut, which allows both "open' and 'Concealed' carry. i typically carry in the concealed position on my right hip in a IWB. i have open carried several times in a few different town's, i never had a issues with local police or any one coming up to me and trying to talk to me about it. and as for open vs concealed i prefer to not see a firearm on someones hip even though i do carry. even though Im fine with people having a firearm i don't know who that person is so id rather not know you have it unless we interact alot on a regular basis. I feel that it's fine to have as a EDC but its one of those items that alot of people have mixed feelings about.

#24 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

I could be wrong but, in some high homicide and shooting crime cities, open carry could put a target on your back by those not legally carrying. Memphis is one of those cities. Tennessee allows both open and conceal carry.

#25 jacksbuddy

jacksbuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

Wow, talk about a hot button topic.  My home state is moving much like a lot of states, to what is called "Constitutional Carry".  You can buy the permit, as ours is a 'shall issue' state for those.  But if you get caught without a permit, the fine is only $25.00 AND they have to give you back your gun. Yes, seriously.  And you don't need a permit to carry a firearm in your purse, suitcase, holster, bag, case, etc. 

If you want to open carry in a holster, that's perfectly fine.  I have only seen one person outside of law enforcement do so, and that was a week after the latest law had been passed.  He was an individual of questionable appearance in Wal-Mart who had his firearm very securely fastened within a whale of a holster.  He had the Velcro fasteners secure around the barrel, the trigger guard, and the grip.  This holster was not-so-sturdily attached to the outside pocket of his saggy pants.  Granted, neither I nor anybody else was expecting a mass terrorist attack in the ladies accessories department of Wal-Mart.  But if there was such an attack, this guy would have been able to get his gun off of his pocket pretty darn fast.  Of course, it would have still been secured inside of 15 pounds of velcro and nylon for an additional 27 minutes.  But this would have given the rest of us time to escape the danger.

That being said, I really don't see a benefit of open carry.  And unless I am out in the woods, there are two things I will admit to regarding me IF I carry a firearm:

1) It will be concealed

2) You won't know about it.

#26 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

If you open carry, you paint a target on your back. You will need to be more vigilant and have a holster with level three weapons retention. Conceal carry has the element of surprise and does not subject you or your loved ones to unnecessary risk.

#27 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

For hunting, hiking or outdoor adventures I am a fan of open carry, as long as the weapon is secure. Anywhere else I say keep it concealed. Unless you are willing to take weapons retention classes and secure the weapon in a high security holster you are simply asking for it to be taken away - how many police officers are disarmed every year and they have training. Most of the OC people I see have their weapon in a cheap nylon "holster" they got free with the gun (because the store couldn't sell them) or a cheap plastic abomination hanging off their $12 Walmart belt. The one reoccurring theme is "cheap". One needs good gear that retains the weapon and secures it in the same location all the time, especially if one is going to sally forth with it displayed for all the world to see.

#28 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:46 AM

If you open carry, you paint a target on your back. You will need to be more vigilant and have a holster with level three weapons retention. Conceal carry has the element of surprise and does not subject you or your loved ones to unnecessary risk.

I think this is overblown.  As you say, a retention holster is key, so just be sure to use one and always be aware of your surroundings.  I don't go anywhere that sets off my "spidey sense".  If that's where my car is, well then I suppose I'll just call a cab.

My state is going for open carry, but it probably won't happen until we fire a few unconstitutionally-oriented state legislators.  I call them the "elite political class", because they never follow the laws that they pass for you and me.  November can't come quickly enough, as far as I'm concerned.

That said, when the day comes I'll probably carry concealed for the most part.  Well, even if/when I'm open-carrying, I'll still have one safely stashed away for that "peekaboo!" moment when my life is in danger.

#29 SavageX

SavageX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

Utah allows for open carry but I rarely do for similar reasons as you. (original poster). I don't want criminals to know I am carrying. I could care less if people are sensitive about guns. if they don't like to see it, too bad, its legal. i only carry openly if i've been out shooting and have my owb holster on. other than that, i keep my iwb holster on. but if i print or my shirt pulls up, i don't worry. again, its legal and i have my permit. 

• John B. and Brendan like this

#30 Richard Young

Richard Young

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

I don't have any problem with either for other people. For me, I prefer concealed just because I have no desire to make others uncomfortable. If someone else open carries, OK by me. 

• John B. likes this

#31 Bob Winstead

Bob Winstead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

Well stated, and my exact thoughts....^^^^^^

#32 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

I never fealt the need to carry at all in the city. Being aware of your surroundings is by far the best offense. Your defense is not likely to enlist a weapon, flight not fight. A gun would be too late in an urban fight. I have NEVER heard of a situation when an attacker was thwarted by a gun carrying victim. Could it happen? Sure. But it's an urban environment, not the wild west. And even in the wild west, you were required to check your firearms with the local deputy (despite what movies portray).

Wow. OK.

If Dom is still around from 2 years ago, I wonder what source he would point to, establishing that there was a universal law in the "wild west," that every "local deputy" collect the guns of everyone who came into town. Or establishing that every town even had such officials to enforce this requirement.

But maybe he's right, and the west was wild, because the stupid deputies kept taking the guns from everyone honest enough to carry openly.

I also wonder if Dom's evidence for his gun-controlled, yet still wild, west would be as substantial as the multiple studies showing that Americans use firearms in self-defense anywhere from several hundred, up to several thousand times per day. But if Dom were an evidence kind of guy, you'd think he'd be aware of at least one of the many, many cases in which guns have been used in self defense, and the incident was later reported in the local paper.

https://www.nraila.o.../armed-citizen/

Lastly, I wonder if Dom could explain why, in all these urban fights, the victims have no time to draw a firearm, but sufficient time to run away. And has he considered that, if running is the best reaction to every hostile encounter, that it might still be better to have the firearm, in case running doesn't work out? (Like, say, what if you got shot in the back while running away?)

I hope Dom is still available to answer these burning questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users