What can I bring along to Italy and Japan

4 replies to this topic

#1 Coast

Coast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

I'll be attending a couple of conventions later this month, first in Italy then in Osaka. I've read that they're pretty strict in both countries specially in Japan about carrying even pocket knives ( there was an incident wherein an elderly caucasian was detained in Japan when police discovered he was carrying a pocket knife that was slightly longer than mandated).

I'm not a big knife fan so we travel I usually carry any of the following item, a mid-size SAK ( Pocket Pal or Spartan ), a Victorinox Multi tool card (clone) a ACE Hardware mini folding multi tool pliers, a SwissTech Utilikey, a Gerber Zip blade,a Swiss Tech 6 in 1 Microtool, and a 58mm Sak Rambler. (I usually clip the Rambler to my belt loop along with my Olight i3E EOS, Gerber Shard or Nite Ize Doohickey).

All of my gear with blades get stored in my checked baggage during air travel except the Utili-key and Doohickey which I stash along with some old house keys goes in my carry on.

So what sort of EDC gear can I carry in both places?

#2 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:17 AM

http://www.britishbl...aw-and-examples

https://en.wikipedia...gislation#Japan

#3 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:18 AM

Japan looks complicated though.

#4 Coast

Coast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:06 AM

What I understand from watching that video about Japan's knife law is that even if you're carrying a small SAK or Gerber Zip Blade, Utilikey or anything that has an edge and have NO acceptable reason (to police) to be carrying it they can haul you off to jail on a minor offense charge.

#5 Coast

Coast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:15 AM

My wife and I both wear glasses, occassionally the screws would get loose so I need something to tighten them, would the be a valid reason for carrying a SAK Rambler(in my bag)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users