EDC Powerbank.....does it exist?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Billy

Billy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

Need to buy a new EDC powerbank, got a bulky one def does not fit my pocket, need something slim any suggestions?

#2 CabalPI

CabalPI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:30 AM

I have a few different powerbanks of varying size and capability. The one I most often use when out and about is the Swiss Mobility 10,000mAh one. It's about the shape and dimensions of a case for reading glasses, slightly smaller.

#3 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

Here ya go:

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B01EKXR67M

Good reputable brand, and has the same form factor as a smartphone.

#4 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

If you don't need too much power, Anker also has smaller lipstick sized ones, really pocketable (3350mAh)

https://www.amazon.c...1KYTFVR5S27JD58

I use a 2000mAh Belkin that does the trick for me. Is about the same size as the Anker.

EDC

#5 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

If you don't need too much power, Anker also has smaller lipstick sized ones, really pocketable (3350mAh)

https://www.amazon.c...1KYTFVR5S27JD58

This is what I was going to recommend.

#6 seamuis

seamuis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSavannah, London, Baguio

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

Are you guys carrying these power banks for tablets? Or for work specific needs? Because it seems most of us around here are carrying large screen, large battery capacity phones. Do you really need to carry a power bank for your phone everywhere you go? Not trying to be negative, just curious as to why you would genuinely feel that's an important thing to carry. I would literally have to purposely try to drain the better on my iPhone 7 for it to not last well beyond my day on a single charge. If I needed extra power for my phone, I think I would sooner invest in a battery case for the phone to combine the two into one, in my pocket, instead of two seperate things to carry.

#7 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:09 AM

Are you guys carrying these power banks for tablets? Or for work specific needs? Because it seems most of us around here are carrying large screen, large battery capacity phones. Do you really need to carry a power bank for your phone everywhere you go? Not trying to be negative, just curious as to why you would genuinely feel that's an important thing to carry. I would literally have to purposely try to drain the better on my iPhone 7 for it to not last well beyond my day on a single charge. If I needed extra power for my phone, I think I would sooner invest in a battery case for the phone to combine the two into one, in my pocket, instead of two seperate things to carry.

I think it's part of the EDC mindset in many ways. I don't always need all the gear I carry but I have it there for when I do need it or if the unexpected happens. I have a feeling that far more people use a powerbank to recharge their phone on a daily basis than use a firearm in self defence or use half the utility of their large tough blades.

Sometimes we forget to charge our phone. Sometimes we're spending hours on phone calls cause something came up unexpected. Or the car breaks down and you spend the night in a motel without a USB charger port. I also have a feeling that many are still using older or cheaper smartphones, the ones which burn through their battery in a day easily.

I personally only use the backup battery for my phone every couple of months but when I do need it, I would have been screwed without it. It sits in my bag not my pocket. Your suggestion of a case/battery solution would add all that extra bulk and weight to your pocket and every time you use it. I couldn't live with that.  

#8 seamuis

seamuis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSavannah, London, Baguio

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:48 AM

If you carry some sort of bag, everywhere you go, I can see the point in saying 'better safe than sorry'. I don't carry any sort of bag regularly, so it would have to be in my pocket. So in my case I just can't see the point. What I do though, if I'm going to be out for longer than a day, is carry a small keychain USB cable. This allows me to find a Starbucks or numerous other places that offer charging points. Unless you live somewhere very rural, I think that would work. But certainly to each their own. But I would have to respectfully but strongly disagree with your opinion on battery cases. When I look through everyone's EDC posts here, I constitently see big bulky protection case after big bulky protection case on people's phones. Military grade drop and water proof cases everywhere. There are a lot of battery cases that are now extremely slim, slimmer than most of these cases, so IF that's the type of case you normally use, switching to a battery case would likely reduce not add to the bulk in your pocket. If however you are using older phones with weak batteries, I can certainly see wanting to carry a power bank, but even then, my personal opinion, it would be easier in your day to day experience, to bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer phone if that's an option, than to live everyday with a useless battery on a device that's clearly important. That's only my 2c though, so I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to be negative, I just feel that spending money just to carry around a battery is not the best way to go about things. The problem with li-ion batteries (all powerbanks are) is that the smaller the battery size, the less power you have available. So finding something that's small, light and even pocketable, actually reduces its effectiveness. I would honestly say, at least if you have a newer phone, taking a strong look at what's available in battery cases. Again, just my 2c.
  • Ben likes this

#9 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

If you carry some sort of bag, everywhere you go, I can see the point in saying 'better safe than sorry'. I don't carry any sort of bag regularly, so it would have to be in my pocket. So in my case I just can't see the point. What I do though, if I'm going to be out for longer than a day, is carry a small keychain USB cable. This allows me to find a Starbucks or numerous other places that offer charging points. Unless you live somewhere very rural, I think that would work. But certainly to each their own. But I would have to respectfully but strongly disagree with your opinion on battery cases. When I look through everyone's EDC posts here, I constitently see big bulky protection case after big bulky protection case on people's phones. Military grade drop and water proof cases everywhere. There are a lot of battery cases that are now extremely slim, slimmer than most of these cases, so IF that's the type of case you normally use, switching to a battery case would likely reduce not add to the bulk in your pocket. If however you are using older phones with weak batteries, I can certainly see wanting to carry a power bank, but even then, my personal opinion, it would be easier in your day to day experience, to bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer phone if that's an option, than to live everyday with a useless battery on a device that's clearly important. That's only my 2c though, so I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to be negative, I just feel that spending money just to carry around a battery is not the best way to go about things. The problem with li-ion batteries (all powerbanks are) is that the smaller the battery size, the less power you have available. So finding something that's small, light and even pocketable, actually reduces its effectiveness. I would honestly say, at least if you have a newer phone, taking a strong look at what's available in battery cases. Again, just my 2c.

The downside is that you're holding the thing the entire time while using your phone, either as a phone or as a mini tablet. As opposed to your other idea, a keychain solution or similar, which although it is in your pocket, is not constantly being held in the hand and can also be put in the opposite pocket to balance the weight better?

I have to admit that I use a Nokia 'dumb' phone so I don't have a personal dog in this fight. Just looking at it from the outside (I did have an iphone for 6 months once if that helps :D ). I've got a question in general about these cases and the continuing seeming requirement for them. They really do make what is already a pretty large phone, become incredibly bulky. With gorilla glass and assuming that Apple fixed the reception problems that started the case fad in the first place, are they really necessary today? Or are 2nd hand sale that much of a factor? I honestly don't know how it works these days.

#10 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

I have an Iphone SE. On my day to day use the battery life is more than enough. I mostly carry a backup battery when I'm out for some sort of outdoors activity, like hiking or photographing, or when I'm traveling, those are the times when I tend to use apps that tap my battery a bit harder, like citymapper, google maps, etc. Most of the time I don't need it, but I rather have it with me.

I thought about battery cases, but never read good reviews about them, quite the contrary. And they don't seem to add good enough protection, imo. But if I had to constantly charge my phone I agree with you, I would probably buy a battery case.

• Ben likes this

EDC

#11 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:52 AM

I have a backup battery with me:

A. Just to be safe. My iPhone SE gets about a day of battery life, but I still carry the power bank in case I run out. Having means of communication in the event of an emergency is a safety issue for me, so I'm okay with a bit of extra weight.

B. For friends/family. I have several friends/family who have androids and several that have iPhones. Having an external power bank (as opposed to a battery case) allows me to help them out if they are running low on power. I keep one short micro USB and one short lightning cable with my power bank, so that basically any phone can use it.

#12 gduck

gduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

I have an Iphone SE. On my day to day use the battery life is more than enough. I mostly carry a backup battery when I'm out for some sort of outdoors activity, like hiking or photographing, or when I'm traveling, those are the times when I tend to use apps that tap my battery a bit harder, like citymapper, google maps, etc. Most of the time I don't need it, but I rather have it with me.

I thought about battery cases, but never read good reviews about them, quite the contrary. And they don't seem to add good enough protection, imo. But if I had to constantly charge my phone I agree with you, I would probably buy a battery case.

I have an iPhone SE as well, and so does my wife. She has a battery case for hers, mostly because she plays these little games on it (seemingly all the time) and they just destroy her battery life. For me on a regular day my phone problem ends somewhere between 40-50%.

I do have a backup battery I carry in my bag for when I'm out for a long while or traveling. If I am in an area with low or no reception and forget to put my phone in airplane mode its constant search for a signal chews through battery life so it's good to have that backup. I actually ended up getting a second, larger battery backup because of my kids and their iPad. There have been a couple times on long trips it saved me a lot of aggravation... two children whining while coop'd up in a vehicle is something I'm keen to avoid at all costs.

But for everyday-wise I've never really had a need to have extra power. I have seen some at the store that are a bit bigger than a tube of chapstick. I imagine they wouldn't charge your phone all the way, but would give you enough in an emergency.

#13 Stefan Smith

Stefan Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

I recently bought the Swiss mobility 6000 mah power bank
It's about the size of a pack of cards and fits easily in the pocket

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users