Which Multi-Tools do you use?

148 replies to this topic

#21 Anthony Miller

Anthony Miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:59 PM

I like to carry my Leatherman sidekick the blade is accessible without opening it and the best part,the pocket clip also priced well.
  • Glen, John B., Chris Szaroleta and 1 other like this

#22 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

Leather new wave was my first multitool and the best. I got it with a flashlight for $50 back in 2008 but sadly i lost it while working. Since then the price never seem to hit that low. I love SAKs and i just got the one hand trekker which my only major gripes being the lockbar direction and lack of pocket clip. A scissor instead of a saw would have been nice too.

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#23 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

Better yet Chris, point him to this site!  I'm sure he will own a few new EDC toys in no time :-)

HAHA!!!  That's definitely true...

#24 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

Just picked up a Leatherman Wingman today.  A bit bulky to carry in the pocket at the office every day, so it will not replace my Leatherman Squirt.  But I will keep it close by in my backpack.  I love the blade and the fact that it locks and is accessible on the outside of the tool.  It will definitely be a weekend EDC item when I'm out and about.

#25 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

Just picked up a Leatherman Wingman today.  A bit bulky to carry in the pocket at the office every day, so it will not replace my Leatherman Squirt.  But I will keep it close by in my backpack.  I love the blade and the fact that it locks and is accessible on the outside of the tool.  It will definitely be a weekend EDC item when I'm out and about.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the Wingman and the Sidekick are the best you can get for around $30 USD.

#26 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm currently carrying a Leatherman Rebar, Leatherman Wingman, and a Victorinox Champion Plus.

IMG_6152.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

The Leatherman Wave is next on my list, because of all the detachable bit possibilities smile.png

#27 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

I'm currently carrying a Leatherman Rebar, Leatherman Wingman, and a Victorinox Champion Plus.

IMG_6152.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

The Leatherman Wave is next on my list, because of all the detachable bit possibilities smile.png

You'll love the Wave.  For a no pliers option, you really can't go wrong with the Swiss Champ!

• David Quevedo likes this

#28 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:02 PM

Most of the Leathermans I see around here are larger ones. Does anyone have any experience with the Juice line?

#29 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

You'll love the Wave.  For a no pliers option, you really can't go wrong with the Swiss Champ!

It's funny that you should mention that.  When I initially bought the Champion Plus, I had it in my head that it was going to come with pliers.  I realized, after receiving it, that, had I wanted the pliers, I should have ordered the Swisschamp lol.  Anyway, I've been very pleased with the Plus; but I definitely wanted pliers, hence my search for other multi-tools.  Of the two Leathermans, I actually prefer the feel of the cheaper Wingman pliers, as opposed to the Rebar. 

I also have an appreciation for the spring-loaded action on the handles on the Wingman.  I wonder why they didn't incorporate that into the Rebar. Seems like they should have (being the more expensive model of the two).  I actually use the Wingman much more than the Rebar - especially since the Wingman has scissors, as well.  Love the scissors on that.

#30 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:40 PM

It's funny that you should mention that.  When I initially bought the Champion Plus, I had it in my head that it was going to come with pliers.  I realized, after receiving it, that, had I wanted the pliers, I should have ordered the Swisschamp lol.  Anyway, I've been very pleased with the Plus; but I definitely wanted pliers, hence my search for other multi-tools.  Of the two Leathermans, I actually prefer the feel of the cheaper Wingman pliers, as opposed to the Rebar. 

I also have an appreciation for the spring-loaded action on the handles on the Wingman.  I wonder why they didn't incorporate that into the Rebar. Seems like they should have (being the more expensive model of the two).  I actually use the Wingman much more than the Rebar - especially since the Wingman has scissors, as well.  Love the scissors on that.

You know what, you're right!  I have an older Swiss Champ and they didn't used to come with pliers.  My intention, though, was really about full size pliers on a multitool...more like the Wave.   ;)

• David Quevedo likes this

#31 Joe Moffatt

Joe Moffatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:08 AM

I am a fan of the Leatherman and I own a few what I carry day to day varies depending on the situation, today at work I have the Surge on my belt and the Skeletool cliped in my pocket.

20150223_050049_zpslzgbqod7.jpg

Top left to right

Wave

Charge ti camo

wingkick, modified side kick with wingman scissors and pakage opener

wingless wing modified

original Supertool

sidekick

Garge ti

Rebar

botom row

squirt

mini

Surge

original wave

Skeletool

micro

style cs

• Stupendous Walrus, John B., Marc and 2 others like this

#32 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

Nice collection, Joe.  Would you mind listing the model for each, there's a few I don't recognize.  Thanks in advance.

• Chris Szaroleta and Joe Moffatt like this

#33 Joe Moffatt

Joe Moffatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:02 PM

Nice collection, Joe.  Would you mind listing the model for each, there's a few I don't recognize.  Thanks in advance.

Done

• Marc, Chris Szaroleta and David Quevedo like this

#34 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

wingkick, modified side kick with wingman scissors and pakage opener

wingless wing modified

Wingkick... love it!  I bought a Wingman (vs. Sidekick) for the scissor but would like the non-serrated blade of the Sidekick.   Your version is the best of both worlds.  And the wingless wing for light carry  :P

#35 Joe Moffatt

Joe Moffatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

Wingkick... love it!  I bought a Wingman (vs. Sidekick) for the scissor but would like the non-serrated blade of the Sidekick.   Your version is the best of both worlds.  And the wingless wing for light carry  :P

Thanks Mark, here's some pics of them

20150213_053514_zps4rnhivn0.jpg

20150217_035706_zpskxkgzbtv.jpg

• Glen, John B., Marc and 2 others like this

#36 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

I use the Sidekick quite a bit. I've wanted to get some more Leatherman tools, but I'm waiting for the Signal to come out. It looks pretty cool. 

Thanks Mark, here's some pics of them

20150213_053514_zps4rnhivn0.jpg

Very cool scissor mod on your sidekick, Joe! 

#37 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

Most of the Leathermans I see around here are larger ones. Does anyone have any experience with the Juice line?

I missed this, Walrus!  I have the XE6 and I like it quite a bit.  Lots of tools, but nothing locks...the only downside.  

• Stupendous Walrus and Marc like this

#38 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

I missed this, Walrus!  I have the XE6 and I like it quite a bit.  Lots of tools, but nothing locks...the only downside.

A locking blade is secondary on a multi tool for me. I have come across newfound usefulness for me CX at a new job though, so that's fun.
  • Marc and Chris Szaroleta like this

#39 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

I use a gerber dime for my daily tasks.  I don't have anything heavy duty that this little multi tool hasnt been able to handle.  The bottle opener, retail package opener and pliers get called up the most.  

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#40 Joe Moffatt

Joe Moffatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

Today I'm carrying my Surge.

20150305_054125_zpsiaibtmqm.jpg

• Stupendous Walrus, Marc, Mel R. and 1 other like this