148 replies to this topic

#1 John Gleich

John Gleich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Chicago, IL

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

As you may have seen on my flashlight post... I guess I'm pretty redundant.

The same follows with multi-tools:

I carry three pocket tools because each does something the other does not:

I have a Sheffield Multi-tool (Pliers-type; Leatherman Micra/Juice/Squirt size), Wenger SAK "Clippers," and Victorinox Hiker (Tinker + a small saw)

Sheffield - Has the following tools: pliers, scissors, flat head, phillips head, can/bottle opener, another flat head, awl, file (teeth all the way to the edge), blade

• I only use the pliers.  All of the other tools are too difficult to access and use comfortably. It's either too hard to hold the tool or too hard to access what I need to manipulate. The Squirt is much more intuitively designed where the non-plier tools can be accessed and utilized easily. There is a locking clasp that just gets in the way of everything.

"Clippers" - Has the following tools: Nail clippers, scissors, blade, nail file, blade, tweezers, toothpick

• I use the nail clippers/file all the time and the scissors, which are much more usable than the scissors on the pliers tool.

Hiker - Has the following tools: Main blade, smaller blade, small saw, bottle opener/wide flat head, can opener/narrow flat head, awl, phillips head (orthogonal to the handle)

• I use the main blade, the saw, the bottle opener, and the phillips head

I got this for the larger blade (bigger and much more usable than the other two blades I was carrying) and for the phillips head screwdriver. I wasn't sure what other tools I would use... but I pretty regularly use the tweezers, saw, and bottle opener as well. I don't use the can opener because I also carry a P-38 can opener in my wallet which works much better.

In summary, if I had a tool with the following, I would be incredibly happy if I had the following in one single tool:

Pliers, large blade, phillips head screw driver (orthogonal to the handle), bottle opener, scissors, nail clippers, file.

The nail clippers are perhaps a niche item, but they're incredibly useful beyond just clipping nails. Outside-accessible tools are also nice, but if the tools are fully accessible when the tool is closed, that would be almost as good.

• ThunderBird likes this

#2 Edgar Morales

Edgar Morales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hello!

For my daily activities, I use two multi tools:  Leatherman Sidekick and Skeletool CX ( this last with the bit driver extender and bit kit)

Thanks, see you later.

#3 Kevin

Kevin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:56 AM

I use to keep a Leatherman Wave as my EDC multitool and it worked wonders and is incredibly nice to have. The only thing I didn't really like is that I didn't have a sheath or belt pouch for it (because it was a gift given to me by my father). So I would carry it around in my pocket but it was a little hefty to keep in a pocket and actually tore a hole in two pairs of shorts due to the friction and constant movement. Decided to keep it in my car in case any need for it arises while I'm traveling or what not. Just recently I got a Gerber Dime keychain multitool to replace the Wave as my EDC tool and its very nice. Small and relatively lightweight that stays secure on my keychain. Not as many features and functions as the Wave but has enough to get me through any problems I might come across.

#4 Michael K

Michael K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

I'm a mad Leatherman fan, first got a Charge, but that was too big to carry around everywhere, so I got a Juice S2, and have that most days wherever I go, but I've recently got a Squirt P4 when even the Juice is too big. So I cover all bases with my Leatherman's!

Charge goes in the pouch it came with, Juice in my back pocket, Squirt on my keyring

#5 John Gleich

John Gleich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Chicago, IL

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:20 PM

I'm a mad Leatherman fan, first got a Charge, but that was too big to carry around everywhere, so I got a Juice S2, and have that most days wherever I go, but I've recently got a Squirt P4 when even the Juice is too big. So I cover all bases with my Leatherman's!

Charge goes in the pouch it came with, Juice in my back pocket, Squirt on my keyring

What's the difference in size/tools in the Squirt/Juice?

They seem to be better designed than the tool that I have now and thus more useful, but I haven't been able to rationalize the expense of a new tool when what I have is functional enough for what I use it for. All three tools that I use were gifts.. maybe I need to ask for one of those as well!

#6 Michael K

Michael K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:15 AM

Hey John,

I stumbled across this review recently and managed to find it again for you, see here. Shows a nice comparison of blade length, scissors, pliers, overall size. I read somewhere and agree that the Squirt is good for keying carry and the Juice is good for a nearly full size tool without the weight or size.

Specifically though, the Squirt is 2/3 of the Juice length(approx 58mm and 82mm), much lighter, but has dinky size tools that'll do in a pinch, but not the first tool you'd reach for if there was better around.

The Juice on the other hand, has great heft in the hand without being heavy, great size scissors, 3 blade screwdrivers of different sizes and a mid size phillips head, great needlenose pliers, and a blade that is a bit narrow but does the job just fine, bottle opener etc.

Depends on your needs, reading your 1st post, the Squirt has a file and the Juice doesn't, its a metal/wood dealie but could do other things for sure.

#7 Michael K

Michael K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:19 AM

John, fyi for the Squirt here. This is the model I have, feels a lot smaller in the hand than it looks in this review.

#8 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:10 PM

I have to admit, I have ditched my Leatherman for a simple SAK, purely for sive and weight.

#9 Thomas Rick

Thomas Rick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, Louisiana

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

I have the Juice S2. Love it. Slips into the coin pocket with a Victorinox Classic or Manager perfectly. I attached a small lanyard on them for effortless withdrawal. The tools on it are wonderful. I have used all the tools and can't remember when I've ever thought, "Gee, I wish it had [insert tool]." In fact the scissors are bigger than any I've seen on full sized multitools and the blade is a good size. The only problem is you have to get to know your individual Juice and figure out the best way to take out tools, close them, close the pliers, etc. Because I've had two and each had their own personality, for lack of a better term. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a note.

#10 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

I have three "go-to's" for daily carry;

- Leatherman Juice S2: good pliers and assortment of tools.
- SAK Craftsman: liked the SwissChamp, but it had too much on it I didn't use. The Craftsman has everything I need and nothing I don't.
- Leatherman Wave: if I could only have one, this would be it. I bought mine in 2002 and it has seen a LOT of use.

#11 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:57 AM

I've gone through loads of multi-tools & a few SAK (mostly cheap knockoffs) and my favorite so far has been the Leatherman Super Tool 200. Unfortunately, I broke my pliers opening a manhole & it got replaced by a Leatherman OHT. It has most of the same basic tools, except for the file, and I preferred the screw drivers on the 200 & it worked better in tight spaces than the OHT. Now I've learned my lesson: Use the right tool for the job! 

Anyway, The OHT is my on-the-job EDC, but off-duty I only carry a Micra because I recently moved to the UK and they have this "Offensive Weapon" Law.

#12 Zulukilo

Zulukilo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:58 AM

I have found, for me, a plier-based multi-tool to be superior to a SAK style. 90% of the time, I carry a Charge TTi. For the limited occasions I find that to be too bulky, his smaller-but-older brother, the S2 Juice handles the MT duties.  

#13 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:33 PM

I have carried a Leatherman Squirt P4 for a few years now and like it.  I mainly use the pliers, file and the blade. And it's low-profile in my pocket.  For heavier jobs, it is too small and not sturdy enough.  From the previous posts, I might try the Juice.

#14 Lance Stickle

Lance Stickle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

I carry 1 of 3 mulitiools depending on what my activities that day will be. For a light carry my Leatherman skeletool CX. For usual activities or dress up my Leatherman Charge TTI. For heavy use and beating on my Leatherman MUT. All great multitools in my opinion
  • Alex Bman and Brendan like this

#15 disco1

disco1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

I have 3 my favourite is the Buck multi-tool, I also have an old leatherman must be one of the originals and for my key ring I have a squart.

#16 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

Leatherman Wave, Leather Juice XE6 or the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X.  Those are the most complete multitools I've found...not TOO heavy either.  If you want to go with a slightly more base Leatherman, just so you can keep the pliers, the Sidekick or Wingman will fit the bill.

#17 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:31 AM

I love my Leatherman Skeletool CX, but it has slipped from my EDC. I find any situation I'm in where I would use any of the features I have my actual tools with me. I do keep it in my bike bag though, where I have needed it. I would love to find a better way to carry it.

#18 Jambon

Jambon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

My leatherman wave is never very far away. Normally in my rucksack some times on my belt. I have for a long time now had some kind of key chain tool which I am amazed by how much I use. I have tried the leatherman squirt p4 but twice the spring on the scissors broke due to banging about in my pocket. I now have a micra and am oh so happy with it. They are however becoming much harder to find in the UK.

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#19 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

My leatherman wave is never very far away. Normally in my rucksack some times on my belt. I have for a long time now had some kind of key chain tool which I am amazed by how much I use. I have tried the leatherman squirt p4 but twice the spring on the scissors broke due to banging about in my pocket. I now have a micra and am oh so happy with it. They are however becoming much harder to find in the UK.

Keychain multitools are ridiculously useful!  There's a guy in my office who comes to my desk at least three times a week to borrow the Leatherman Squirt PS4 in my keychain.  One of these days, I'm going to get him one as a gift.

#20 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

Keychain multitools are ridiculously useful!  There's a guy in my office who comes to my desk at least three times a week to borrow the Leatherman Squirt PS4 in my keychain.  One of these days, I'm going to get him one as a gift.

Better yet Chris, point him to this site!  I'm sure he will own a few new EDC toys in no time :-)

• Chris Szaroleta and Brendan like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users