Looking for some insight

4 replies to this topic

#1 SPP_Jake

SPP_Jake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

We are modern "go bag" (EDC, Whatsinthebag,etc) superfans and are building an eCommerce site and product line (already contracted with some large scale suppliers and manufactuers) dedicated to creating EDC/Go Bag kits, EDC and modular gear, and modular audio, all with ongoing support. We are looking for insight or suggestions on how to make this something that our fellow superfans would love. http://www.stackplusplus.com

#2 Moose

Moose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

Don't alienate your customer base.  There are more student and blue collar edc carriers then there are silicon valley hipsters.  Keep it affordable.

Don't stock the same as every other 'edc gear' site. It gets old real quick looking at the same products on site after site. Be different.

Test drive the product beforehand.  Marketing blurb which is clearly just that and not user experience based is a big turn off. Get your team to try the stuff out for a while and write up honest feedback comparing the relative merits of your different offerings.  Why is 'that' bag worth $100+ more than a 'normal' messenger bag?

Embed vids of products in hand/use so that customers can get a clear idea of size and shape- 2d stills can often be misleading.

Please dont go all 'made in America'.  Nothing wrong with MIA but nothing wrong with made elsewhere either.

• SPP_Jake and Scott Johnson like this

#3 SPP_Jake

SPP_Jake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Thank you a ton for the feedback - taken to heart. Especially the customer base, we really want to provide a site and solutions that fit want is needed and wanted. 

Is there something that you (or anyone else that reads this) currently feel like they see too much on all other EDC/Carry-Go Bag/etc sites? One of the niches that we hope to bring long term is audio gear (headphones, speakers, etc) that are designed to be MORE specifically rugged and use more traditional/real materials (steel, leather, wood), along with being more modular and storage friendly. As well as cases and bags that are able to be combined (stacked). However, our existing supplier partnerships let us bring in a variety of other categories too.

Great insight on the testing, we have much of the current gear in the hands of our team, friends and family, and a few others - but we'll push them to come back and chat with our content guys. And anyone who is looking for some gear in exchange for reviews and a small bit of content - email/message me! :)

We dig made in america generally speaking, however, if we can find or produce something at a high quality - and bring the price down further (especially with the customer base note), that's what we'll do. We also have an element built into our finance system that sets aside 2%-3% of revenue for charity (dedicated to creators, producers, manufacturers, etc.).

A few other things we are currently offering/building;

- VIP program with a kickback for EDC users.

- Support/Repair/Replace Program - this is the biggest pain that we have dealt with, and one of the reasons we got into the business.

- Build your EDC/Go bag over time program.

#4 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Not a suggestion based on contents of each bag. But i think for a product centered on the edc bag, people purchasing online would like to see the inside of the bag. Outside looks are only part of what people are interested in seeing.

EDIT: I stand corrected. many of the bags do show the inside (not all). I was looking solely at the stacks at first. 

#5 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

Best of luck with your business venture.

Something that I see too much of is keychain sized tools with a bottle opener. I bet the average EDCer is carrying 3 bottle cap lifters. 

Also fidget spinners are everywhere now. Sooner or later this fad will stop and these will be selling for $1 each. Gonna be good for cheap DIYers.

RFID blocking wallets are everywhere as well (and very not necessary with all the security built in). Hard to make a go of selling those now I imagine.

I don't see very many backpacks with a built in solar charger - nearly everyone has phone these days so on the go power could be good for some. 

Or maybe a backpack with a battery bank in it's own pocket and a cord running through the shoulder strap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users