16 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

I currently have several gadgets attached to my home keys. Then because this keychain is so full I have another keychain for my work keys. I have made the decision that I am going to get a keybar for all my keys and all the gear I am going to place in a tin. If any of you carry a tin for your edc I would love to see what you have in it and how much room these items take up inside your tin. Also any recommendations you might have for me

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

#2 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

Tbh I never really understood the Altoid tin thing. It always seemed really unpractical to me.

Is it something you wanna carry on your person everyday or is it a collection of items you don't use frequently and might just leave out of your carry every now and then?

EDC

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

Tbh I never really understood the Altoid tin thing. It always seemed really unpractical to me.

Is it something you wanna carry on your person everyday or is it a collection of items you don't use frequently and might just leave out of your carry every now and then?

Something I plan on every day. My keys and the stuff that I have on my keychain besides keys are very cumbersome. I just got the keybar and I really like how all the keys are all organized and tucked away. Then with varying the tin anything else can go in there. So instead of carrying say 10 things in my pockets it will be reduced down to just a few: keys. Phone. Tin

#4 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

I currently have several gadgets attached to my home keys. Then because this keychain is so full I have another keychain for my work keys. I have made the decision that I am going to get a keybar for all my keys and all the gear I am going to place in a tin. If any of you carry a tin for your edc I would love to see what you have in it and how much room these items take up inside your tin. Also any recommendations you might have for me

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

I don't know what gadgets you have left over to carry but check out the FoxEDC molle organizer I posted about here - http://forum.everyda...xedc#entry27957

You can see how I use mine too. Pictures from the site above that post. Maybe if your gear is similar you can save on the bulk and get one of these.

• Ryan likes this

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:53 PM

I don't know what gadgets you have left over to carry but check out the FoxEDC molle organizer I posted about here - http://forum.everyda...xedc#entry27957

You can see how I use mine too. Pictures from the site above that post. Maybe if your gear is similar you can save on the bulk and get one of these.

Yes I believe I saw that post or someone else's post with the same organizer. While it is less bulky I feel like I like the smooth edges of a tin.
The stuff I am talking about is a leatherman kick, fenix e12 light, bit lighter, whistle, lip balm and a few other little things
I thought having the tin would be easy to get in and out of my pocket as well as more comfortable than my keys sticking out against my leg

I love the organizer you have but see that serving more purpose in one of my packs or gun cases vs my pocket

Seems like you tube is littered with people talking about "survival" tins. I don't plan on having survival stuff in mine just stuff to make my life a bit easier. I figured there is some like mindedness in preppers, survivalist and "edcers". So I figured in this forum there would be quite a few that use a tin or something similar to organize their stuff. I guess I'll be a pioneer in this community:-)

#6 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

The stuff I am talking about is a leatherman kick, fenix e12 light, bit lighter, whistle, lip balm and a few other little things

Are you sure you can fit all that inside an Altoid tin? Specially the Leatherman Kick.

I think you might need something like this http://skinthsolutio...oduct/l-shield/

• Ryan and Scott Johnson like this

EDC

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

Are you sure you can fit all that inside an Altoid tin? Specially the Leatherman Kick.

I think you might need something like this http://skinthsolutio...oduct/l-shield/

I need it to be a bit bigger than an altoid tin and I see that their are some available on amazon. I tried going to a few local craft stores and didn't see any. I just wanted to see anyone else using a tin what they had in it and how they had it organized.

What you show here is a great idea. Doesn't look like it would drag or get caught up on the fabric inside the pocket.

#8 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

I use an old tobacco tin. It's a strictly bag only carry though. 

altoids.jpg

altoids_1.jpg

Contents have been slightly updated since this picture, mainly with some real (rather than ebay) windproof matches.

Inside are: Bandaids, AA  Eneloop battery, 18650 battery, roll of Gorilla Tape, mini bic, Suunto compass, 64GB USB drive, 16GB SD card, Spare phone battery, two UCO Titan Stormproof matches, two slivers of fatwood. 

Rather an eclectic mix. It's stuff that is too small just to sit in the bag but stuff that I'd want to know where it was and access easily.

I've got another old tobacco tin in my hiking bag which is just a fire kit. They're useful for stuff like that. I used one to make a large and easily packable candle which wouldn't smush in my pack.

• Ryan likes this

#9 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

I love CountyComm. Check out their tins and more. https://countycomm.c...torage-products

Also this is the closest picture I found of actual EDC gear and not just a survival kit.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Ryan and Ben like this

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

I use an old tobacco tin. It's a strictly bag only carry though. 

altoids.jpg
altoids_1.jpg

Contents have been slightly updated since this picture, mainly with some real (rather than ebay) windproof matches.

Inside are: Bandaids, AA  Eneloop battery, 18650 battery, roll of Gorilla Tape, mini bic, Suunto compass, 64GB USB drive, 16GB SD card, Spare phone battery, two UCO Titan Stormproof matches, two slivers of fatwood. 

Rather an eclectic mix. It's stuff that is too small just to sit in the bag but stuff that I'd want to know where it was and access easily.

I've got another old tobacco tin in my hiking bag which is just a fire kit. They're useful for stuff like that. I used one to make a large and easily packable candle which wouldn't smush in my pack.

Thanks for the picture. I am curious. What are your batteries wrapped in. Why?
  • Ben likes this

#11 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the picture. I am curious. What are your batteries wrapped in. Why?

Ranger bands. Basically bits of cut up cycle tyre inner tubing. Being a metal tin and having rather a lot of battery in it, if the contacts were to touch the tin, boom. Or at least serious fire. The rubber protects the batteries from that without taking up the room of battery holders. They also double as emergency kindling.

You can get old punctured inner tubing out of the garbage of any bike shop. There are always loads there and they're happy to let you have them. One tyre will make more ranger bands than you can imagine uses for.

• Franklion and Ryan like this

#12 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

Ranger bands. Basically bits of cut up cycle tyre inner tubing. Being a metal tin and having rather a lot of battery in it, if the contacts were to touch the tin, boom. Or at least serious fire. The rubber protects the batteries from that without taking up the room of battery holders. They also double as emergency kindling.

You can get old punctured inner tubing out of the garbage of any bike shop. There are always loads there and they're happy to let you have them. One tyre will make more ranger bands than you can imagine uses for.

Love it! It's little ideas like this that make me want to visit this site the most. This is info you can't find on a review on amazon. Good stuff Ben. Thank you for the tips!
  • Ben likes this

#13 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

Love it! It's little ideas like this that make me want to visit this site the most. This is info you can't find on a review on amazon. Good stuff Ben. Thank you for the tips!

Glad to help.

#14 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

20170306_072019_zpsirbrcwzm.jpg20170306_073604_1_zps4giswjbj.jpg

#15 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:32 AM

Check out theurbanprepper on youtube. He is all about the urban everyday altoids tin.

#16 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

It's really hard to get things in and out of a tin easily.

#17 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

It's really hard to get things in and out of a tin easily.

I agree. Usually items are on top of other items and so much has to be moved. I gave up. Found other ways to carry stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users