Life Without A Leatherman

17 replies to this topic

#1 CyberShadow

CyberShadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

So, I had a Gerber Dime on order from Amazon and there was a problem with the delivery, so it got returned and my order was cancelled and I was refunded. I am sitting on the Amazon page, my mouse hovering over the 'reorder' button when I decided to work out if I really do want it.

I am still settling on exactly what my carry is, and how it is carried around, but I have a couple of smaller multitools (GRIPsher when it gets here, a couple of credit card ones, etc). Looking through the list of items on the Dime and pretty much everything was already available on another item already in my carry list. That started me thinking about what else I could possibly want. As far as I can tell, the only use that I have for a 'regular' multitool (Gerber, Leatherman, Victorinox, etc) is either redundancy and/or a larger/more serious use. I might get one at a later date, but I cant really see a gap or a need for a $100 multitool right now beyond redundancy.

Does anyone else not carry one of these? It seems that as soon as you ask for peoples favourite carry, the pictures of the Leatherman come out.

Am I missing something?

• Ryan likes this

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

I don't carry my leatherman on a regular basis because it's cumbersome in my pocket and at work would have to carry it that way as a holster on my belt would not work for my dress code. That being said on my days off I have 1 of 3 leathermans on my hip depending on what that days activities may consist of. My most commonly used tools are the pliers/wire cutters and the knife. You speak of redundancy and I assume your talking about the knife. This is my only knife on my edc for my days off work. It used to not be when my first multi tool was inconvenient when accessing the knife as you had to fully deploy the pliers, get the knife out, close the pliers, use the knife, open the pliers, put the knife away and then finally close them again.......so I carried a pocket knife in addition and created the redundancy you speak of. Now however many multi tool manufactures produce products with several tools being able to be accessed from the outside without deploying any other tool. This feature makes the leatherman just as convenient as any pocket knife but you get all the perks of having multiple tools on your person shal the obstacle arise.

I cannot speak for leatherman compared to other brands as it is the only brand I have ever had. That being said it is not the only brand I have ever had because I don't want to try new things or I have some commitment to leatherman. I have only owned them because they have never let me down on the jobs I put them on. My only complaint has ever been that their holsters for their bigger tools do not allow for additional accessories to be carried in the pouch

If I were to recommend any of their tools I would recommend the leatherman wingman for your only multi tool for edc. I feel it to be the most user friendly of the 4 leatherman tools I have had the pleasure of owning.

Attached Files

• Jonny likes this

#3 CyberShadow

CyberShadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

Right now, the only 'folding multitool' that I own - beyond that cheap Swiss Army Knife that everyone has at the back of a drawer - is this one....

61D4uJtTZkL._SX425_.jpg

Possible the best $20 I have spent on EDC so far. It gives me sprung pliers, adjustable wrench, flat and philips head drivers, wire cutters and a very good knife. With a card tool to supply the obligatory bottle opener, along with a smaller knife and those number one essentials of surviving the zombie apocalypse - a set of tweezers and a toothpick - I am not sure that spending $100 on a Leatherman is warranted at this stage, but I feel that I am somehow not 'doing this right' if I dont have one.

• Jonny, Ryan and Scott Johnson like this

#4 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Edit: I think I misunderstood your post.

To answer your question, my only experience is with leathermans and cheap chinese ones.

To be quite honest if you don't use your multitool frequently you are probably ok with a chinese knockoff. I've used mine for many years.

But if you use it a lot or you want a multitool for a longer period of time, ofc leatherman delivers a greater quality multitool that will pay off many times.

I think it all comes down to what you come across on your daily chores and how much stuff are you willing to carry.

I went through that exercise of trying to figure out what I actually needed to carry. I found out that I don't need to carry a plier based multitool on myself. Besides, I find even the Dime or the Squirt to cumbersome to carry on my keychain.

My system is a Vic Manager on my keychain, that covers basically all my daily needs. And for those rare occasion, when I need extra tools, I carry a Leatheman Juice CS4 on my working bag.  But every time I go out without a bag I'm plierless, and I'm ok with that.

• CyberShadow and Ryan like this

EDC

#5 CyberShadow

CyberShadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

I think at this point that these cheaper multitools are perfect for me. I am still working out what I want to carry, and what I can carry easily. If I spend $20 on a multitool that I end up deciding doesnt have what I need, I can live with that..... If I get one month in on a $100 multitool and reliase that I really need a toothpick and didnt get one, its going to be harder to live with. However, at this point, I dont see a great need for a set of heavy duty pliers, etc.

With my current few carry items, I look at a $100 Leatherman and try to list off what it gives me beyond what I already have. It comes down to a good set if needle nosed pliers...... and a nail file.....? I dont have scissors, but I hate those tiny sets on multitools anyway, and I dont have a decent corkscrew so anything that I add would probably need at least that. But for right now, and for the foreseeable future, I cant see a reason to get one of the 'big boys' when I am largely happy with my current list (in theory).

Thanks.

#6 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

I don't carry a full size Leatherman for the same reasons mentioned above. Too heavy and I can live without Pliers on a daily basis. The only time i carry my Leatherman is if I have a bag with me. As for your decision, if it comes down to whether you want full size pliers with you, I would suggest the Skeletool. It is hands down the lightest of the full size leathermans. It is a minimalist Leatherman. Pliers, knife (the best knife on any leatherman), carabiner/bottle opener and a bit. In fact, it is lighter than my Leatherman Juice (which is not so light). Not to mention it is one of the sexiest designed Leathermans. And the Skeletool can be found cheap if you look around. Home Depot had them for $30 at one point.

Couple other points I want to make on comments in this thread. I own a Gerber Dime and can see why people like it so much, but the fit and finish on the Leatherman Squirt makes it far superior. I own several Leatherman Sidekicks (exactly like the Wingman save for several differences). I keep one in the car and have another handy around the house. It is an excellent value but in using the pliers, I find that it has hot spots. It pokes into your hands in hard use. I find my Leatherman Wave and Skeletool to be far more comfortable.

• Garrett Hearle likes this

#7 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

f I get one month in on a $100 multitool and reliase that I really need a toothpick and didnt get one, its going to be harder to live with. However, at this point, I dont see a great need for a set of heavy duty pliers, etc.

With my current few carry items, I look at a $100 Leatherman and try to list off what it gives me beyond what I already have. It comes down to a good set if needle nosed pliers...... and a nail file.....? I dont have scissors, but I hate those tiny sets on multitools anyway, and I dont have a decent corkscrew so anything that I add would probably need at least that. But for right now, and for the foreseeable future, I cant see a reason to get one of the 'big boys' when I am largely happy with my current list (in theory).

Thanks.

I totally get that.

You can always look for good opportunities on brand new "out of the box" Leathermans on Ebay. I payed U$45 on my Wave in January, the manufacture date is from 2014 so I still get 22 years on the warranty. Good deal imo.

I've seen Rebars going for $30.

EDC

#8 CyberShadow

CyberShadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:17 PM

Thanks guys. Some great tips.

#9 seamuis

seamuis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSavannah, London, Baguio

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

I dislike multi tools. In my opinion the jack of all trades master of none tools are just... not useful in practical everyday situations. Some may argue, and that's fine but I've never found them to be so. I think most of us buy them on the justification that we can have everything we could need and feel secure in covering all bases with a single item. On the surface that seems reasonable, but in real world, we rarely or never actually need all the tools, and if we need certain tools often enough, we'd be better off carrying dedicated tools for those specific needs and uses. Most people never even need what a standard Swiss Army knife comes with, much less a tactical multi tool. So why carry one? I used to own a Gerber multi tool, and found I almost always used just a few things for bicycle maintenance so I just bought a few dedicated tools for those purposes. For certain professions, I can see how it could be useful to have one, but for a lot of those professions you'd still likely be better off carrying dedicated tools, and probably already do anyway, so a multitool often is relegated to a redundancy piece, or in other words useless.

I certainly understand the idea of 'rather have and not need than to need and not have.' But I think for most people with average lives and average jobs, we will likely just never need. That makes dedicated tools for things we normally have a need for, a better option. To me it's like paying big bucks every month for a bunch of cable channels we never watch, just to have the few we actually do. Just a waste of money for stuff we think we need or want. That's all just opinion though.

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

I dislike multi tools. In my opinion the jack of all trades master of none tools are just... not useful in practical everyday situations. Some may argue, and that's fine but I've never found them to be so. I think most of us buy them on the justification that we can have everything we could need and feel secure in covering all bases with a single item. On the surface that seems reasonable, but in real world, we rarely or never actually need all the tools, and if we need certain tools often enough, we'd be better off carrying dedicated tools for those specific needs and uses. Most people never even need what a standard Swiss Army knife comes with, much less a tactical multi tool. So why carry one? I used to own a Gerber multi tool, and found I almost always used just a few things for bicycle maintenance so I just bought a few dedicated tools for those purposes. For certain professions, I can see how it could be useful to have one, but for a lot of those professions you'd still likely be better off carrying dedicated tools, and probably already do anyway, so a multitool often is relegated to a redundancy piece, or in other words useless.
I certainly understand the idea of 'rather have and not need than to need and not have.' But I think for most people with average lives and average jobs, we will likely just never need. That makes dedicated tools for things we normally have a need for, a better option. To me it's like paying big bucks every month for a bunch of cable channels we never watch, just to have the few we actually do. Just a waste of money for stuff we think we need or want. That's all just opinion though.

I agree100% but that just isn't as much fun:-)

#11 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

I say this a lot, but I'll say it again, I have a Leatherman but hardly ever carry it or have a use for it. My SAK pioneer gets used a bunch, and it weighs much less than my Leatherman.

#12 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

I don't know why anyone would actually carry a Letterman on body as an EDC item, but then,  I also don't understand why anyone carries around 2 flashlights spinners pens altoid tins and 4 pocket knives either. However why anyone that seeks a preparedness lifestyle wouldn't carry a good multitool in an EDC bag or have them in a vehicle mystifies me.  When home, I do carry one when performing chores. I have property to maintain and lots of machinery I work with to do it. I also have hobbies that are physical and require equipment. All of these things need an occasional alteration or tweik, and a multi tool is like a magic wand for me. Maybe it's just a matter of lifestyle.  I can get by without a bandaid a fidget spinner a fancy pen or a flashlight in my day to day tasks, but over the years, the real and urgent need for my multitool has saved me a lot of time frustration and money. I can drop every other item I carry, but never my multitool. 

• Scott Johnson likes this

#13 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

My Leatherman Wave has saved the day more than once.

One day I was reattaching a door in my sister's house, it was a cabinet where the water heater is located. The installer tore off the door and part of the wall. My saw couldn't get in there to cut away the broken wood but my Leatherman sure did. I did have a tool bag with full sized tools but sometimes I just need a small tough tool to get the job done. 

#14 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

A Leatherman can be a really handy tool, but it all depends on how you carry, what you do (or want to be able to do), etc.

That being said, I EDC'ed Leathermans for several years. I dropped it from my EDC some years back, and don't miss it very often. Usually, my SAK Farmer, large folding knife, and a paper-clip in my wallet get me by. That, and the toolbag in the back of my Canyonero.

If it helps, the pliers is the only thing I miss having. How often do you need pliers, and how badly?

• Scott Johnson likes this

#15 Jonny

Jonny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

My personal EDC has redundancies but it is what it is. I have a Leatherman Sidekick that I love and have clipped in my pocket every day as well as my metal defense pen & Gerber Scout clipped to the outside of my pocket, all this in/on my left pocket. 
In my wallet I have what I've come to call a "Man card" it has a blade edge, saw edge, wrench slots, flathead screwdriver corner & bottle opener.
The keychain i carry is a CRKT Viva with micro S-biners holding things on for easy removal should I need to use the Viva for prying. 
aside from keys there are 2 lights, 2 flash drives, kubotan, SAK, & keychain sized charger cable.

These are the things I carry on my person.

Maybe I'll do a detailed post on what I currently carry in my Maxpedition bag & ready bag as well.

TL;DR: Yes, I carry a Leatherman clipped in my pocket.

#16 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

I agree with this to an extent. I noticed that, when I carried my SAK, I found uses for the tools more often than I ever thought. However, when I don't carry it and just have a regular knife on me, I don't really find myself dwelling on the fact that I don't have the SAK on me. I'm around the house, it's too easy to just go grab a dedicated tool for my needs. In my truck, I carry enough tools that a multitool would be redundant. Now, maybe in my wife's car I would keep one just in case, since I don't carry tools in there. 

On a side note, when funds are available, I plan to buy 2 of the Spyderco Assists to keep in my truck and the wifes car. It's a multitool, just aimed at rescue and not utility. 

#17 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

well I am a Leatherman EDCer. My uses and hobbies require of some basic tools that it gives me in a packable form. 

I also like to be able to help others and the LM has saved somebody's day a few times over the years

The Surge, Wave, ST300 areideal to have in the bag if you're a handyman

NhBqz1T.jpg

if you want a minimal loadout a Skeletool is perfect, it can even replace your main knife (especially in non knife friendly countries) and is very light to carry. No need to spend $30 or $50 to get one nice tool, and they usually have good warranty and retain value if you find it's not for you

iTorqUq.jpg

• Mikey Bautista likes this

#18 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

well I am a Leatherman EDCer. My uses and hobbies require of some basic tools that it gives me in a packable form. 

I also like to be able to help others and the LM has saved somebody's day a few times over the years

The Surge, Wave, ST300 areideal to have in the bag if you're a handyman

NhBqz1T.jpg

if you want a minimal loadout a Skeletool is perfect, it can even replace your main knife (especially in non knife friendly countries) and is very light to carry. No need to spend $30 or $50 to get one nice tool, and they usually have good warranty and retain value if you find it's not for you

iTorqUq.jpg

Im really liking that combo of the skeletool and spyderco 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users