Conceal Carry Recommendations

19 replies to this topic

#1 Cole Hall

Cole Hall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

I know there are probably a ton of posts already like this, but my case is a little different I think.

I am pretty small male, 5'6", 170lbs. My hands are also very small,  glove size small to medium. With that being said, I currently own a Glock 19 Gen 4 and even that is a tad too large for me to carry simply cause my body frame cannot conceal the firearm how I would like..

What would you guys recommend? Something small, still able to protect me, concealable on my small body type..

Thanks for your help.

#2 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

I carry a Kahr CM9 which is easy to hide, very accurate, lightweight and won't break the bank.

#3 TDG Nick

TDG Nick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Try a CZ P-01. Much smaller circumference than a G19, same capacity.

#4 Preacher

Preacher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

North American Arms Mini.  I have the Pug Magnum  .22.  4 1/2 inch long weighs 6 ounces,  5 shot revolver.

#5 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

I'm also a small-ish frame male, and at this point I've had the opportunity to (in some cases, attempt to) carry a large variety of handguns concealed; everything from a Glock 20 to a Ruger SR40c to a Bersa Thunder CC to a Beretta 92...

I highly recommend the Sig Sauer P938.  Light, slim, metal frame; handles and shoots like a larger handgun, but disappears in my CrossBreed Mini-Tuck.

If the pseudo-1911 battery-of-arms isn't a concern for you, find one for rent at a range and give it a try.

Alternatively, with the right modern ammo a .380 is nothing to sneeze at. I have a Ruger LCP II which I pocket carry when even the Sig is too heavy/large to conceal comfortably (ie. when exercising). I also highly recommend the LCP II. If budget is a concern, this is a great place to start.

I usually carry an extra magazine for each of those, in a SneakyPeteHolsters slim leather mag pouch.

Bottom line, though - find a range that'll let you rent a few and see how they feel. Different folks like different kinds of triggers, build materials, batteries-of-arms, etc.

#6 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

Check out the Ruger Lc9. I've carried both the Lc9 and the Lc9s. Fairly light, magazine of 7 or 9 (9 gives more room for my gorilla hands but 7 should work for you) and easy to conceal. I'll second Matt's suggestion -  find a range that allow you to shot a lot of different weapons and you might be surprised by what will work for you. Take someone with you and it'll be a fun time. How do I know? We did that when we were looking for my wife's first gun and we had a blast (must have went through 20 or more guns.) 

• Matt and Old Army Vet like this

#7 Bob Winstead

Bob Winstead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

You could also try a smith and wesson shield, they are very easy to conceal. Small single stack pistol

#8 Col Richard Brinkman

Col Richard Brinkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

I am 5'5 and too have small hands. I pocket carry the SW MP 380 Bodyguard and the SW 45 Shield in an IWB holster. Whatever you carry make sure you train with each weapon on a consistent basis and know how to field strip your weapon and clean it.

#9 NorCal5.0

NorCal5.0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

I'm 5'6", 190.  I have both a Sig P238HD and a Sig P228.  Of the two, the P238 is much easier to hide AIWB and IWB at 4'o'clock.  The P238 fits my hand really well (S-M gloves) and I prefer the 1911 style single action trigger and operation.  For when I don't conceal on my person, I've started using a Kelty Sling Bag.  It resembles typical REI-type gear and has a small hidden pocket for the P238 and 2-magazines.   

#10 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

Ruger LCP?  LC9?  Walter PPSM2?  Glock 43 (or 42 maybe)?  PPK?  

• Tristan likes this

#11 Tristan

Tristan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

Currently I carry either the glock 43 iwb or a s&w 642 in a pocket holster. Also if you do want to carry your g19, appendix carry seems to hide bigger guns a little better.

#12 Ray Georgiano

Ray Georgiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

I alternate between my Bersa Thunder 380 and my S&W642, Either with a pocket holster or a leather belt holster, both easy to conceal, I'm 5'9 170lbs.

#13 Mr. Myles

Mr. Myles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

If you are content with 6+1 of .380 then the LCP 2 is cheap, reliable, and gets the job done.  For me i see it as a secondary/back up but i carry it daily.  Glock 43 is great. Typically I go FNS 9c.  Nice between a glock 19 and a 43.

#14 C RHODES

C RHODES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationALBUQUERQUE, NM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

S&W M&P Shield 9. I'm 5' 10" an 200 lbs, I carried a Ruger SR9 for a while but found that it would print way to much, The M&P Shield is barely prints at all. 

#15 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Ruger LCR 357 mag with boot grip + Kydex conceal holster

i-F25TLWF-L.jpg

i-m3jxdZf-L.jpg

i-dDLWc5n-L.jpg

i-PZp5sj6-L.jpg

Give it a research and see what you think.  Love mine.

#16 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

Option 2

SA XDs 9 with G-Code Holster

i-qQdPw3c-L.jpg

i-WtgRDmN-L.jpg

i-ZQRNjGL-L.jpg

i-wwJdhHW-L.jpg

Give it a research.

#17 HenryBowman

HenryBowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:06 PM

Ruger LCR 357 mag with boot grip + Kydex conceal holster

i-F25TLWF-L.jpg

i-m3jxdZf-L.jpg

i-dDLWc5n-L.jpg

i-PZp5sj6-L.jpg

Give it a research and see what you think.  Love mine.

I did CHL training for 2 years back near Y2K.  You sir, have what I consider to be one of the best carry weapons in existence.  Very smart choice.

Cheers

HB

#18 C RHODES

C RHODES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationALBUQUERQUE, NM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

M&P Shield 9mm. Great CCW. Conceals great in a Alien Gear Clock Tuck 3.0. 

#19 Zezlan

Zezlan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

I have mentioned what I carry on a few other threads now, but the 3 concealed carry pistols in my rotation are a Sig p938, Springfield XD Mod2, and a Springfield XDe. Of the 3, the new XDe is by far the easiest to operate. They have supposedly reduced slide spring tension by 25-30%, and while that may not seem like it, it feels INSANELY different. I have small hands for a male that is 6'3" and so proper grip and slide cycling can be difficult after a long day of practice shooting. The XDe is so easy, it is the only pistol my wife can cycle other than my Sig Mosquito that has around 8,000 rounds through it. Took it to the range yesterday and couldn't be happier with it, love that fiber optic front sight.

#20 Dennis Mia

Dennis Mia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

I know there are probably a ton of posts already like this, but my case is a little different I think.

I am pretty small male, 5'6", 170lbs. My hands are also very small,  glove size small to medium. With that being said, I currently own a Glock 19 Gen 4 and even that is a tad too large for me to carry simply cause my body frame cannot conceal the firearm how I would like..

What would you guys recommend? Something small, still able to protect me, concealable on my small body type..

Thanks for your help.

I'm 5'8" and have carried a Glock 43 every day for the past 2 years. It conceals well in an IWB holster. It also shoots very well and is the most reliable piece of machinery I've ever owned. More reliable then my Swiss Army knife - not kidding. If you can afford one they are well worth the money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users