33 replies to this topic

#1 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:50 AM

It's difficult to take a decent picture with my iPhone; but I'm too lazy to use a real camera lol.

I mainly bought the VP2 because I wanted something that could also charge LiFePO4 batteries (which I am now using in most of my CR123 lights, in place of the dreaded primaries), and so I could easily charge 26650 batteries, as well. At the time, I hadn't yet purchased the D4 units.

The VP2 is amazing. I'm loving the selectable charge rate, the metering, and the super smooth feel of the spring clips.

I use all five chargers simultaneously, when I'm doing a 18650 run of charging, so I'm able to charge eighteen batteries at a time (very handy - really speeds things up). Here is the current line-up of chargers (The D4s are the latest acquisitions, and are working very nicely smile.png

IMG_1525.jpg

Left to Right:

1. Nitecore D4 (2)
  2. XTAR VP-2
  3. Nitecore i4 v2 (2)

IMG_1514.jpg
Notice how the VP-2's display is amazingly easy to read? I really like this. I also like the selectable charge rates (and the higher charger rate that this one has, as opposed to the D4s, or the i4 V2s. The D4 displays a lot more useful information, though. I'm still torn.

IMG_2179-1.jpg
Also, the VP-2 has wider battery wells, so you can easily fit two 26650 batteries side-by-side. That's a nice touch.

Please feel free to share your experience with these chargers, or any smart chargers you'd recommend :-)

• Duff72, Mikey Bautista, Chris Szaroleta and 5 others like this

#2 happy

happy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

I bought the Nitecore D2 from FastTech and I had the problem where the internal multimeter was .2v off. I doubled checked it against a few other multimeters too. The D2 reads 1.5v fully charged for NiMh, for example, but it's actually less. And isn't a NiMh fresh off the charger suppose to read somewhere around 2.2v anyway? 

So FastTech has been very good about replacing this unit for me. I hope I just got a lemon. I'm waiting for a new Nitecore D2 unit now. 

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta and David Quevedo like this

#3 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:06 PM

I bought the Nitecore D2 from FastTech and I had the problem where the internal multimeter was .2v off. I doubled checked it against a few other multimeters too. The D2 reads 1.5v fully charged for NiMh, for example, but it's actually less. And isn't a NiMh fresh off the charger suppose to read somewhere around 2.2v anyway? 

So FastTech has been very good about replacing this unit for me. I hope I just got a lemon. I'm waiting for a new Nitecore D2 unit now. 

AA NiMhs come off my charger at about 1.46-47 volts, generally. This has held true with other chargers, as well.  I also sometimes use a LaCrosse BC-700 charger (which actually works very well, too).

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the D2.  Sounds like FastTech has it under control, and you can soon be on your way, again :-).

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#4 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

I've just picked up an XTAR VC4, and am loving it. It's my first USB power-able charger, and should come in really handy :-).

How do I update my thread title, to include the new model???

#5 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

I've just picked up an XTAR VC4, and am loving it. It's my first USB-power able charger, and should come in really handy :-).

How do I update my thread title, to include the new model???

I just tried to edit the titles of one of the threads I started and didn't see a way.  The admins might be able to help.  You could post the question in the Feedback, Suggestions, Technical Support thread.

• David Quevedo likes this

#6 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

I just tried to edit the titles of one of the threads I started and didn't see a way.  The admins might be able to help.  You could post the question in the Feedback, Suggestions, Technical Support thread.

I've gone ahead and posted the question, there. 

#7 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

I've gone ahead and posted the question, there. 

Awesome blossom!

#8 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

I went by the XTAR store to pick up a second VC4, but they were out.  They're expecting them some time soon.  They seem to be flying out of the store.  Not surprised.  Great charger!  I'll give a review and put up more pictures, some time this week.

IMG_6521a.jpg

#9 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

Grabbed a second VC4 charger (and two 18650 batteries) at the XTAR store, earlier today. Need one more battery, though - now that I've just purchased the PC20C2 Mk II :|.

It never ends....which is okay with me lol.
  • Mel R. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#10 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:05 PM

Grabbed a second VC4 charger (and two 18650 batteries) at the XTAR store, earlier today. Need one more battery, though - now that I've just purchased the PC20 C2 Mk :|.

It never ends....which is okay with me lol.

It's ok with us too. Keep 'em coming!
  • Stupendous Walrus and David Quevedo like this

#11 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 781 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

All this XTAR talk made me look up their lights, and this little guy looks pretty sweet:

http://www.xtarlight...asp?styleid=304

#12 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

All this XTAR talk made me look up their lights, and this little guy looks pretty sweet:

This is so funny. I was looking at one of those lights hanging on a display wall, while I was at the store. I almost bought it!
  • Mikey Bautista and Chris Szaroleta like this

#13 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:09 PM

The one I keep staring at, every time I walk into the store, is the S1 search light. It's a monster of a light.

The link:
http://www.xtardirec...pe=product&q=S1

#14 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

I'm actually now kind of intrigued by this B20 U3 light:

http://www.xtardirec...flashlight-only

Edit - 07-13-15 - Scratch the above statement.  I tried the light out in the store, one day, and wasn't really impressed by it. 

• Mel R. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#15 123456

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

Which charger charge to my DQG 10180 70 mAh 3.7V? 

XTAR Vc4 or Nitecore D4 ? or your suggestion

wishes

#16 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

Which charger charge to my DQG 10180 70 mAh 3.7V? 

XTAR Vc4 or Nitecore D4 ? or your suggestion

wishes

I'm afraid I've never used such short, low capacity batteries, in any of my lights; and because of the very small amperage that this battery stores/produces, I wouldn't have a clue which charger to recommend, as the safest charger, for your battery. I probably wouldn't choose either battery charger, but the VP-2 instead, since you can actually chose a lower amperage (.25 amps.  I think that would be the safest level to charge your batteries, but I couldn't guarantee the correct charge termination on that particular battery, since I've never used one before, and since the smallest size, listed on the back of the charger, is 10440.

I'm not even sure that would work, since it appears the VP-2 starts at about 30mm (smallest battery, with the spring-loaded clips closed all the way.  I've never used battery spacers in any of my chargers, and I don't like using them (too many extra parts to worry about) - which is why I've always purchased chargers with spring-loaded clip systems, to insure that the clip would automatically size itself down to accommodate whatever battery size I needed it to.

The smallest battery I've ever put in any of these chargers is the 16340 (a 34mm battery), and I prefer charging these at 500 mAh, in pairs. 

Assuming it would even fit the D4, I would recommend charging them 3 or 4 at a time, because then the amperage rate would drop, from 750 mAh to 375 mAh.  I don't believe anything much higher, would be safe for that battery - but I could be wrong.

The VC4s charge at a rate of 500 mAh, if you use the inside (1 or 2) slots, or 1000 mAh, using the outside (1 or 2) slots, and 500 mAh, if you use all four slots, concurrently.

How many batteries are you wanting to charge, at one time, and which specific batteries are you using? I can do some more research, and see what I'm able to find.

Here is some discussion about safe chargers for 10180 batteries, on Candle Power Forums:

http://www.candlepow...i-ion-batteries

I was looking at some of the 10180 chargers out there, and some of them seem to specify 50 mAh - which is incredibly low.  If this is the amperage at which you need to charge your 10180 batteries, none of these three chargers would be suitable for it.

#17 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

I just ordered a VC4 with an Anker 6-port PowerPort. Looking forward to charging all those incoming Keeppowers in it!

#18 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

Here's my updated charging station!

vCrbGwc.jpg

#19 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

The most recent lineup:

IMG_8077.jpg
  • Tony Burns likes this

#20 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

The most recent lineup:

IMG_8077.jpg

I think it's about time I add another charger to my station, and I think it's going to be another VC4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users