Carry mechanical pencil

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jossue Almaguer

Jossue Almaguer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Are there any sturdy mechanical pencils in 0.5mm caliber? I carry a matte back Fisher Bullet. It fits in my pocket and barely noticed its there. I also need a pencil throughout the day. I tried carrying my Pentel P-205 but it's made of plastic and it broke in my pocket. I've had top resort to clipping it to the neck of my shirt or sticking it in my hat, just above my ear, but I am constantly dropping it.

Looking for something shorter or more a more sturdy material or a combination of both.

Anybody have any links or suggestions?

#2 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:23 AM

I use a rotring 800.... its a bit pricy, but I've had mine for 4 years and no sign of stopping! 

#3 Garrett

Garrett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

I carry a Zebra Mini P-TS-3 and I quite like it, don't know if it would be too small for you or not.

#4 Jossue Almaguer

Jossue Almaguer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:16 PM

I use a rotring 800.... its a bit pricy, but I've had mine for 4 years and no sign of stopping!

I am seriously looking into getting this pencil. The reviews are scaring me off a bit. I want a 0.5mm.

#5 Jossue Almaguer

Jossue Almaguer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

I carry a Zebra Mini P-TS-3 and I quite like it, don't know if it would be too small for you or not.

This might be the option I go with. It does look great for a pocket carry.

#6 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

You could start with Jetpens-

https://www.jetpens....CFYpcfgodehcCeg

Short, a little stout, hella sturdy, the Kaweco AL Sport are great, although they are .7mm. There is a .5mm pencil as well.

https://www.jetpens....Pencils/ct/2773

I also carry vintage mechanical pencils, like anywhere from the 70s back to the 20s/30s. These all use fattter leads, but the sure are pretty to look at.

Here is a Lamy on Levenger's site

http://www.levenger....ncil-13455.aspx

There is Pentrace and Fountain Pen Network, both of which have sales boards. You could post a WTB (want to buy) mssg. looking for a Rotring 800 or vintage 600 and see what you are offered. I have a vintage Rotring 600 fountain pen and you can use it for self defense. Very tactical without ever having tried to be.

Let us know what you decide on. 

#7 Mark M

Mark M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:18 AM

You also might want to try a midori bullet pencil.

#8 International Man Of Mystery

International Man Of Mystery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

The one problem I have with mechanical pencils (and I have a TON of them) is that most snap the little point off when writing for extended periods of time. That's why this one and this one are engineered to avoid that. Both are great pencils - and lighter than my Rotrings...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users