4 replies to this topic

#1 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

I’m putting together an Every Trip Carry pouch, a more capable version of my current EDC pouch.

Half of my trips are to somewhat remote locations, usually beach places with poor infrastructure. I usually just carry my EDC pouch, but on the last trip I felt the need for something stronger than the 100 lumens of my AAA flashlight. So I started considering an AA or maybe a rechargeable flashlight. I no nothing about the latter though, never owned one.

I really didn’t want to carry one more charger, I already carry more electronics than I wish to, that’s why a thought about AA batteries (they are easy to get). Unless I can recharge the flashlight directly through an USB port.

How do AA and rechargeable flashlights compare? What are your thoughts?

• LadyHoole likes this

EDC

#2 Sriracha

Sriracha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

Lithium rechargeable batteries are superior in every metric except price. Longer shelf life, runtime and power output. Off the shelf AA batteries put out 1.5V . Freshly charged Lithium give you 4.2. If you want to use Eneloops or something like that, that's a good option because you could use store bought batteries in a pinch, but sacrificing all the other metrics. In general, Li-ion gives you more lumes, runtime, and shelf life, but you need a charger.
  • Dydimus likes this

#3 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

Eneloops are great. Recharge 'em 2100 times, they hold most of their charge for a couple years. They run longer and brighter than regular AAs, and the charger isn't very big/heavy. THe charger works for both AA & AAAs. Find 'em online or at Costco.  I have a couple rechargeable lights that plug into the USB ports on my computer and they also work well. I have the ThruNite Archer 1A/2A Archer V3 which runs on AAs and is really bright and quite versatile. I have rechargeable ThruNite TC12 which works great. No problems recharging, but it runs off a 18650 battery, which is larger (like 2 CR123s). If you want rechargeable, bright, and teeny, CountyComm has the Maratac Peanut which plugs and has 12 Lm and 145 Lm. On sale at the moment for ~ $24, which includes everything you need -https://countycomm.c...-flashlight-kit-it really is dinky though.

So, to be honest, I'm happy with either one. Carry a few extra AA rechargeables, or carry the cable for the rechargeable light. You can get a charging system that plugs into anything. There are chargers that are very small and take up little more space than a USB cable. They charge one battery at a time, but that should be enough. 

Maybe head over to Candlepowerforums and see what they say.

• Dydimus likes this

#4 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

Thanks a lot for the help!

If you want rechargeable, bright, and teeny, CountyComm has the Maratac Peanut which plugs and has 12 Lm and 145 Lm. 

In fact I'm looking for something bigger. I already have a small AAA Thrunite.

I did some research and found these rechargeable options that might fit my needs:

ThruNite Chargeable Flashlight TC12 V2

UC30 FENIX FLASHLIGHT

- Nitecore MH10

- Olight R20 Javelot

I'm more concerned about the build quality of those brands. I've heard good things about Thrunite and Olight, don't know much about Fenix and Nitecore though. And I think quality also varies from one model to the other.

Gonna have a look on the Candlepowerforums you mentioned.

Thanks again.

EDC

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:51 AM

I use rechargeable 3.7v 14500 batteries in my Thrunite Archer 1AV3 and T10, they make a big difference. The Archer is approx 500 lumens on high with that battery and if all else fails you can always go buy some regular AA batteries as a backup. This option keeps the flashlight size and weight down for a carry pouch. I carry the Thrunite U1 charger which is also small and light and will give you a few charging options and in a pinch it will charge your other devices.
  • Dydimus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users