TSA experience

3 replies to this topic

#1 Diego

Diego

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

I know I am not the first person to figure this out the hard way, but if I can save anyone else the trouble....

Try not to fly with a bag that you have previously put a firearm in.  I sometimes go to the range during the day with my edc firearm, and without my range bag.  On those occasions I have often put my holstered and unloaded firearm into my edc backpack after the range session until I get home.

I typically don't fly with the same backpack I carry everyday, but this week I did.  I guess just having carried a firearm in the bag left enough gun powder residue inside to set off the alarms.   

#2 Cole Hall

Cole Hall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

Good to know, thanks for the tip!

#3 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

GSR...Gunshot residue stays on lots of firearms related items. Best to not use range bags as travel bags. That said, four years ago I traveled by air to and from Montana about six times and had two .556 cartridges nestled in a tiny fold inside my travel pack the entire time. These were from a class I had conducted in Montana and found their way into my normal air travel onboard bag( a CamelBak pack that will hold my laptop , papers and other stuff).

#4 TDG Nick

TDG Nick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

@Mike - had a similar issue. Arrived at SHOT one year to find I had a loose 9mm round mixed in with spare change in my carry-on. Gave it to a local friend to 'dispose' of!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users