Carry-On friendly tools

5 replies to this topic

#1 Diego

Diego

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Suggestions for useful edc items that won't be looked upon with disdain by the TSA?  I accidentally left a multi-tool in my backback carry-on this week. CVG didn't spot it, but in DCA I got the third degree (which is how I realized I forgot to take it out).  Luckily it wasn't worth much.

#2 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

Carry on tool options are tough. I take my Lever Gear tool card, which I love, the Gerber Shard on my keychain and my Gerber Impromptu tactical pen, which has a small glass breaking tip. I alway keep that clipped on to my Field Note notebook so it's clearly presented as a pen. I've never been stopped because of it.
I was thinking of getting the Leatherman Style PS but have read of it getting confiscated internationally even though there is no knife and I've read of quality issues as well. A lot of reviewers have written that either way, it draws attention, which is the last thing I want at airport security, I want to go through as seamlessly as possible.

#3 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

Victorinox Jetsetter (which has scissors, so who knows). 

I Like the Leatherman by the numbers line, they are cheap and good quality key size tools.

EDC

#4 Coast

Coast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

I carry a Swisstech Utili-key. I usually clip it on a keyring along with a Nite Ize Doohickey. Add a couple of old house keys to hide in plain sight.

#5 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

I use Zebra F-701 and think of it as my practical and tactical opportunity pen.

I've had no problems with LM Style PS and Brewzer both of which I bought specifically for flying. They do look the PS over quite a bit searching for a knife and I've been swabbed, but everyone needs a job so...

#6 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:14 AM

I don't trust anything to be TSA friendly. In the end, it's in the eye of the beholder and that eye is never friendly

• Jonny and Dydimus like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users