leather knives EDC keys wallet

6 replies to this topic

#1 Airth

Airth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

I think most of us have an appreciation of not only what we have in our pockets, but having enough of those "wouldn't it be nice if..." moments which keep our inventories constantly changing and evolving, especially after seeing someone else's shiny thing we just have to have.  Even a cursory browse of the forums and staff posts show there is plenty of talent borne of necessity, imagination, limited budgets, or just wondering if that $300 thing can be duplicated for $20.

Here, I'll admit it--I'm a dabbler.  I tinker, take things apart to see how they work, get things back together again (sometimes with extra parts), adjust, modify, and try to make things "mine".  I know I'm not alone in this crowd.

What sort of things do you folks do to get crafty or make something uniquely "yours"?  This could be anything from a simple modification of something off-the-shelf to a complete fabrication of a new thing only you possess. 

To get things rolling, I'll start with some of my work--both the knife and sheath.  The knife is 440-layer nickel carbon pattern-welded steel, with nickel hardware and stag handle.  The sheath is 4-5 oz vegetable tanned cowhide, all hand-cut, sewn, dyed and complete with a bit of freehand tooling.  Having seen similar work in the $500+ range, I simply wanted to see if I could do it, and it turns out most of what I learned in the process translates easily to other things. 

How about you?

Attached Files

#2 Jerry Pruitt

Jerry Pruitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

I do agree 100% and yes I do the same and hopefully I can do more better or be one to make something that everyone will want.

#3 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

I've been making duct tape wallets. Started a few years ago with a bifold design with 6 card pocket, change pocket and document window.

My latest is just one pocket for all cash, cards, bus tickets, magnifying lens, i.c.e. card. It is much thinnner due to the lack of layers.

I also made a pocket for a doohickey which was re-purposed for a aaa battery for my edc light.

Tried Gorilla Tape but found the tape is so stiff the cards and change just move around all the time.

The last thing I made was a Grid-it. 5 by 10. So nice.

Some folks need a spinner to occupy their hands.

I need something to occupy my mind, usually I'm thinking of 3 to 6 things at the same time.

Fairly normal for me to be playing a game on the phone while watching a video or designing and making something while thinking of a few other things.

#4 Chris

Chris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:47 PM

As I am in high school I have wanted to try and build the ultimate edc since there really aren't any out there. Really I have just been really busy but I like to build things out of like duct tape or cardboard to make holding things for school easier. One project I am going to start working on is I have a old box that my Fitbit came in and it has a magnetic flap to close it. I figured I could make it like a pencil pouch but organized and wanted to see if I could have like to sections so hopefully I can make it work if not oh well but I love to do stuff like that. Aka I like to tinker as well

#5 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

I tend to make things I need to make jobs easier. Like for lawn care I make my own trailer mods, like racks, shelves, I currently have a divider, organizer deal I make for my truck bed since I got a topper on it now. Long story short, I do a lot of tinkering and dabbling...however, I'm more a jack of all trades, master of none. Most things I create won't be perfect, but "it'll work!"
  • Scott Johnson likes this

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#6 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

I tend to make things I need to make jobs easier. Like for lawn care I make my own trailer mods, like racks, shelves, I currently have a divider, organizer deal I make for my truck bed since I got a topper on it now. Long story short, I do a lot of tinkering and dabbling...however, I'm more a jack of all trades, master of none. Most things I create won't be perfect, but "it'll work!"

Whatever it takes to make life easier. 

#7 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

Definitely, and I have a lot of access to scrap metal and all types of stuff my work throws out. My dad has a hoard of stuff at his house so I always have a good source to find something I need.

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leather, knives, EDC, keys, wallet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users