3 replies to this topic

#1 Tray Smith

Tray Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

What is up, my dudes?!

As we all know, tax season is upon us (YAY THEFT!!!), and some of us are getting some money back. I am one of those folks.

Every year I allow myself to spend a small chunk of my return on something I want. This year, I was looking into a Suunto Core.

Anybody here have any experience with them? Is it worth the price?

Link:
https://www.amazon.c...B00LN9AQL0?th=1

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 727 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

I wouldn't get one myself because I tend to be extremely harsh on watches, but I do like its appearance in the recent Equalizer movie:

#3 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:25 AM

What is up, my dudes?!

As we all know, tax season is upon us (YAY THEFT!!!), and some of us are getting some money back. I am one of those folks.

Every year I allow myself to spend a small chunk of my return on something I want. This year, I was looking into a Suunto Core.

Anybody here have any experience with them? Is it worth the price?

Link:
https://www.amazon.c...B00LN9AQL0?th=1

I don't have the Core, but I have owned a SUUNTO Stinger dive watch / computer as a backup to my main. It was a very robust, well made and extremely accurate dive logger and timepiece. My neighbor and friend has had a Core for a while now. He's s a police officer and it's his daily wear timepiece. It's a little scuffed up, but he absolutely loves it. 

#4 Zach Lambert

Zach Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

I just picked up a Core for an upcoming trip. I haven't had it long enough to really write an in depth review of it, but I will offer what I've found out so far. 

I looked at the all black one and the glacier grey, and ended up buying glacier grey because even in perfectly lit conditions, the black screen was incredibly hard to see. I will be using mine outdoors with sunglasses/ski goggles, etc. on, so the white screen with black numbers is a no brainer. 

The altimeter/barometer works as well as anyone could ever hope for. Within minutes after unboxing mine, the storm alarm went off, and within 30-40 minutes, clouds showed up. Could have been a coincidence, but was cool as hell for me while unboxing the watch. 

I live in Denver, so testing the accuracy of the altimeter is literally as easy as walking up the steps of the state capitol building and seeing 5280' on the screen. Also, pretty damn impressive. I have only calibrated the altimeter once, and it has kept its accuracy for as long as I've had it.

The compass is the biggest fault in this watch. I also own a higher end g shock that is equipped with a much more accurate compass because it runs off atomic clock radio signals. The Suunto's compass is not very accurate, but could still be used for gaining a general point of reference. Would I trust my life with the compass? No.

All other features on the watch are solid. Thermometer works well (when the watch is taken off for about 8 minutes), and seems to be made with high quality materials. I feel like the screen can scratch easily, though....hopefully I don't find out. I havent had a chance to mess around with the altitude logs at all, so I can't give a thumbs up or down on that one.

Should you buy one? I did, and so far, I love it. I guess it would depend on how you'd use it. Its not my EDC watch, but it is definitely on my wrist when I am in the mountains hiking, climbing, skiing, etc, and will be on my wrist every day in Iceland and Norway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users