tell me about your job

38 replies to this topic

#21 Jambon

Jambon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

So I am a senior staff nurse in the intensive care unit of a major trauma centre specializing in Neuro trauma and burns. I am also a RAF Aeromedical flight nurse with 1 tour of Afghanistan under my belt.
  • Bernard Capulong, Glen, Stupendous Walrus and 8 others like this

#22 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

So I am a senior staff nurse in the intensive care unit of a major trauma centre specializing in Neuro trauma and burns. I am also a RAF Aeromedical flight nurse with 1 tour of Afghanistan under my belt.

That's awesome, James.

#23 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:52 PM

Im a joyner in a small shop. One of only 4 guys. 

• Glen, Stupendous Walrus and Sam Quint like this

#24 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

Right now I guess I'm juggling two jobs. My first "job" is being a full time student. I'm studying Engineering with a concentration in logistics, logistical planning, and supply chain / distribution. My second job is a supervisor in the events office on my campus.

• Plumblucky1, Stupendous Walrus, John B. and 1 other like this

#25 James Caro

James Caro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

Great Topic Alex :) Wow ! We have got some amazing members and they have some awesome jobs ! This is why I love this forum we all come from different backgrounds but have all learnt the usefulness of edc by chance, circumstance or forward thinking!
I am an ex first response officer / security officer (12years) and I am pleased to say back in the security business as of today! after a gap of a year being in an office environment(fancied a change! :)) but nice to be back in what you love! :)
In my spare time I teach / practice martial arts, walk my German shepherd dog..... practice survival skills, train,draw and
write.
  • John B. and Sam Quint like this

#26 Reece

Reece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

I've been tinkering with websites on and off for about 15 years (wow, nearly half of my life lol).  A lot of the time the web work takes a back-seat to other stuff that comes up, which means it's hard to keep those skills sharp - especially as web technologies and best practices evolve.  I try to keep in the loop, but sometimes it's hard to get back into.  I'll typically use a CMS like WordPress or Joomla! on new projects to do a lot of the heavy lifting, then customise a template that suits the project needs; I realistically don't have time to build something from the ground up, especially if I need to re-learn technologies.  That's the downside of being a jack of all trades, but a master of none.  When I do build something 'from scratch' it'll typically be using HTML, CSS, images and a little JavaScript if I'm feeling brave - even then I'll use a framework like Twitter Bootstrap for cross browser and responsive functions etc.

Yh I think bootstrap is a great framework, I agree with trying to keep up with everything is hard, new languages are coming out all the time, I'll stick to wordpress tbh. Never tried Joomla but heard good things about it, do you build many e-commerce sites? I've been building them on Wordpress and using paypal merchant services but could do with the good platform to build them on 

#27 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

and supply chain / distribution.

Ah, my old nemesis. I worked in that field for a number of years before switching fields.

#28 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

I build stuff like this. 

IMG_0983_zps5c9a9f79.jpg

8E0408E2-112B-453A-B8AA-7A15F8053BC3-601

F1CD2A73-4662-4D1F-BBFB-BF94F72CD7E4-776

8719D8D9-EF7E-479C-B9CF-8FAF09B5E1BC-776

418AD6A0-8CCB-4CC8-ACA9-7F16B2D21EA0-776

B3261DC3-5DDF-48F8-8B93-FD6A9C265542-776

IMG_0957_zps2681abbb.jpg

EBCEFBBB-F603-48AF-8049-5CE11C8C488E-273

96FB2576-BAFF-4A40-AC1F-F0905FDE2093-273

• Glen, Plumblucky1, Stupendous Walrus and 3 others like this

#29 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Fantastic!!!!!!

#30 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

VERY cool, coldwater!  Woodworking is one of those skills I long to have.  

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#31 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Very cool indeed.  I make small projects but nothing to that extent.  I would have to dig another level under my house to build a nice shop like that !

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#32 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

It's a cool place to work. We're the smallest, and most sought after joyners in the country. Some of our work is in the White house, cathedrals, museum restorations, and This old house projects. We even did one of Darryl Halls homes. We specialize in 17th and 18th century period correct museum quality restoration joynery. No glue, no modern nails. All mortise and tenon constructions and wood pegs. The limited use of nailing is done with blacksmith hand wrought nails. I love turning out work that will live beyond me.

• Glen, Plumblucky1, Stupendous Walrus and 2 others like this

#33 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

It's a cool place to work. We're the smallest, and most sought after joyners in the country. Some of our work is in the White house, cathedrals, museum restorations, and This old house projects. We even did one of Darryl Halls homes. We specialize in 17th and 18th period correct museum quality restoration joynery. No glue, no modern nails. All mortise and tenon constructions and wood pegs. The limited use of nailing is done with blacksmith hand wrought nails. I love turning out work that will live beyond me.

That is really, really amazing.

#34 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Walrus, do you have any advice for me in that business? 

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#35 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

Walrus, do you have any advice for me in that business?

It sort of depends on what you're handling, but more than anything, I found the most effective thing in the world is to trim as much fat from your procedures as possible. Given that time is often a factor, the KISS theory always worked best for me. The simpler it os, the easier it is to fix, which means you lose as little time (which equals money) as possible.

In my case, I deslt with industrial and farming consumer items, so things like expiration dates weren't an issue as they would be in say, food transportation.

#36 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

Im a joyner in a small shop. One of only 4 guys.

Is diving purely recreational for you?

#37 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

Yup. I grew up on a lake, and I learned from a retired navy diver that lived near us when I was about 14. I advanced to a technical diver, but only dive recreationally. I have done a little recovery diving for cars and cadavers, and some salvage work, but wrecks and caves are my "thing"

• Stupendous Walrus, Marc and Chris Szaroleta like this

#38 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:36 PM

Stolen car recoveries.

lindaspictures233.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

lindaspictures231.jpg