#1 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Folks,

These flashlight posts are a dime a dozen and I've spent three days researching (a lot on here) the best light for my needs. I've narrowed it down and I'd appreciate your insight if you kindly have the time.

The intent is to truly have an EDC, preferably in my front pocket, versatile, dependable for general use but fantastic for emergencies. I know it is difficult to find the perfect light that marks off all checkboxes bought the goals is to get incredibly close. I think I found a few. Keep in my mind I'm a novice in this field so I basically know what the site and reviews tell me. When it comes down to flashlights that are really similar I'm probably not going to decide by something technical like a metered output test but by what looks cool. But please set me straight if one has a better spot/flood than the other or battery life is significantly different.

My checklist:

1. Takes AAA battery size - allows for slimmer, smaller size and easily available
  2. Some adjustable settings to control battery life and brightness.
  3. Having modes like strobe and SOS is not a must, but cool if it's there.
  4. A clip to make it versatile.I don't need a key chain.
  5. Under 3" in length
  6. Under $30
  7. Most lumens I can get from the specs above, naturally.
  8. (yes, I want blue if they have it.)

Here is what I have so far. I'll list from least favorable to most.

5/4. GLAREE E03 and Blue Color Bronte BT01 - these lights are basically knockoffs of each other or some other one but both have solid reviews.

41rON9SmmcL._SL500_SL135_.jpg41RZa5deXhL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

3. ThruNite Ti3 - seems to have a massive following here. What would be better, neutral or cool white?

31cBMk7AmGL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

2. Olight i3E EOS  - I was digging this one a lot and I can get a clip for it here. The reviews I read said while the Ti3 had superior battery life, Olight had better lumen output. I think it is slighter shorter too and comes in blue. Definitely a close second.

41Zxz2CKP8L._SL500_SL135_.jpg

1. LUMINTOP® Tool AAA - I'm most excited about this one and my top pick right now. It's got almost everything on the list. What is unique about this one is it was a click attachment, which will give the option to click or twist. Another cool bonus is it also has an attachable magnet. I love the mod capabilities.

518YfOUrUrL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

Honorable Mention:

Rofis ER3A  - I keep coming back to this one although it's lacking a few key needs, but the few stellar reviews are keeping me intrigued. It may wind up being a second purchase just to see what the fuss is about. I do like how it can truly be unnoticeable in my pocket.

4128dZvmqFL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

Drooling Over:

Olight S1R Baton Turbo Version 

I have at least one that I'm drooling over. If it weren't so expensive I wouldn't even have bothered posting this. But damn, I may need to just go for it.

51BQfpbjrkL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

Looked at but didn't make the cut:

1. Fenix E05 - when I did read comparison reviews (even on here) against the Thrunite Ti3 the latter always was more favorable 
  2. Fenix E01 - see above
  3. Streamlight MicroStream - while good it looks like the others met my needs more
  4. Streamlight Nano - battery size
  5. Nitecore Tube - already own it and it came defective
  6. J5 Tactical V1 - over 10k reviews and sitting at 4.5 stars it has to be decent enough right? I may get this one for home use.
  7. UltraFire SK68 - had this but gave it to a security guard while in MX. May still get one. You can't beat the price and rating. When I had it for the short time I liked it.

I ran into this article at the very end of making my list so I was pleasantly surprised that my own research resulted in many of the same lights. It was nice to know I was pointed in the right direction.

Well, what do you think?!  :D

Quick update: I just so happen to stumble upon the Fenix UCO2 last night! I wonder why my research didn't find this before. Comes in blue and SS with blue trim. The compact size and the fact that it's rechargeable certainly has my attention. No clip but the size and weight makes up for it. Freakin expensive though. 

61Tyj5fHueL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg51hg4O7MJTL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg

#2 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

Another option would be the Foursevens Preon P1. Hits all the points, except $8 over budget.

Aside from that, I don't have much experience with the ones you listed. I have heard great things about ThruNite and Olight as a company, and for me a companies reputation comes into play when I'm deciding on an item to buy. YMMV.

#3 Lucca DeBiaso

Lucca DeBiaso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

I like the Ohlight Eos and as the above comment mentioned the Preon P1.  I really like the Ohlight. The Ti3 isn't a bad second. Pick between those two is my vote. 

#4 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:55 AM

First off; the SR1 Baton is a great light, and the fancy charger is cool, but really, just buy a universal charger and batteries in all your sizes and you won't miss the SR1Turbo. I love my SR1, but know that R/CR123A batteries will make a difference in weight and the diameter of your light. And-it is noticeable if you are wired that way. Again, though, great light.

If you want a tiny light, skip the Streamlight Nano and Fenix UC02. My Nano, and other lights like it, never give off enough light, and only work sometime. The UC02 is bigger than the following light. The Peanut linked below is smaller, brighter, recharges in much the same way, and throws a lot more light. Fit and finish are excellent. The second link is to their little bottles for $6. Perfect size for an extra battery, although the light recharged very quickly.  

https://countycomm.c...-flashlight-kit

https://countycomm.c...pull-waterproof

On to your real question; First off, if you're gonna spend the money, pay a little more, get all the features you can, and odds are good your light will last longer. Cheaper lights may not last long. At all.

The ThruNite Ti3 EDC is a great light. .4lm Firefly mode is close to useless unless you are where it is pitch black and are looking at a map. THIS 

https://www.amazon.c...GRZQ059FR1CQZC 

ad is for a newer version and you can get more lm (.8) on firefly, or go with Titanium finish and get .5lm firefly but 162lm on bright. It's a good light, well built, very compact and light weight. I have it in black and titanium, both great, although the Ti is a little grippy on the threads and the twisty takes a little more work than the anodized aluminum.

I have an Olight i3 from back in the day. Three brightness levels etc. The new ones? One output only and only the "silver" one reaches 120lm, the rest only 90. AND-the blue color? Wears off after normal pocket carry and usage in only a few months. Same with all my blue colored lights, sorry to say.

I like my old style Preon, but it is really slick, and even with the after-market titanium clip bent in pretty tight, the light still likes to walk away. The new one seems to have a lot of varying reviews. I like FourSevens lights, but am a little leery about the new Preon.

Hope this helps. 

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:19 AM

Try the Ultratac K18. AAA and 10440 capable. Thumb switch instead of a twisty. I own two and like them much better than my Thrunite ti3s. It not a name brand so to speak but they are tough. I beat up all my gear outdoors and these have stood up to everything.

Cheers
Ron

#6 Joe T

Joe T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

I have been carrying a Fenix E05 for about a year and a half and absolutely love it. I was looking at the Ti3 as well, but felt that the firefly mode would be fairly useless for me and the spacing did not seem to be ideal for me. The E05 is barely bigger than the AAA battery it uses and emits a strong light on high (85lm isn't crazy, but its effective for something so small). What I really like is the build quality on it... the light feels really well built and works just as good as the day i got it despite numerous key drops/throws/etc.

#7 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

my 2 favorite AAAs are the

Led Lenser P3

20170406_080811_zpsfe9smalm.jpg

and Lumintop AAA

20170407_140606_zpsglh009er.jpg

#8 gduck

gduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:41 AM

I have the Thrunite Ti3 and like it a lot. I agree with what was said above, I've found the Firefly mode to be pretty useless. I probably use that flashlight almost daily (I seem to constantly drop little objects that love to bounce right under things or in to dark corners). The battery life has been great on it. The only real negative I found with it is that I've had the clip pop off twice on me, the second time I didn't notice right away so I never found the clip. The folks at Thrunite were real responsive though and sent me a few replacements for just the cost of shipping.

I have been thinking about getting a second small light to diversify - not sure what I'm going to end up going with though.

• Andrew Cohen likes this

#9 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

20170528_164031_zpsuejdzjuf.jpg

#10 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks! This is what I wound up getting. Actually, my wife bought all three for me  after showing her this list of choices for ONE of them. I carry the Fenix daily and have the others if I want to switch out. At this point they are awesome collectibles, hahaha. 

LUMINTOP® Tool AAA 

518YfOUrUrL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

Olight S1R Baton Turbo Version 

51BQfpbjrkL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

Fenix UCO2

61Tyj5fHueL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

• Andrew Cohen likes this

#11 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

I'd say your wife is a good'un! Now, you gotta get a little light for her. Nice selection of lights.

• Franklion likes this

#12 Sushil

Sushil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFoshan,China

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:25 AM

You have a new choice  Penlight

2AAA normal alkaline battery

120 lumens

Under USD 20 you can get it

if you don't mind the battery is 18650 you can try this USB  Rechargeable Mini Flashlight B10

Under USD30 include oversea shippping

Attached File  58ee02874bf3f.jpg   31.81KB   0 downloads

EDC design

200 lumens,90m beam distance

CREE XP-E2 R3 LED, life time: 50000 hours

18650 Li-ion battery 

65mm length ×20mm tube diameter (2.56×0.79 in.) 

IPX4 water proof ,max 2meter under water  

#13 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:24 AM

Mini pocket light, 3 modes ,AAA ,love it nowHTB1qp5fRpXXXXcOXVXXq6xXFXXXG.jpghttps://www.aliexpre...0608.0.0.GD4vtQ

#14 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:31 AM

Does the Eagletac D25AAA fit your budget? It's a bombproof little light.

#15 International Man Of Mystery

International Man Of Mystery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

My vote goes for the Olight S1R Baton Turbo Version as well.

Clipped to the sling of my bag it rides on my chest and I can grab it easily.

A couple of weeks ago our apartment building lost power (Con Edison!!!!!!) and a handful of elderly people were milling around in the dark. This little light illuminated a good part of the lobby for people to find their way. Amazing performance in such a small package.

#16 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

bet you'll love the Lumintop. Mine is like new after 1 year!

20170418_151717_zpshja6t3rl.jpg

#17 The Narrow Gent

The Narrow Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

Most people may disagree, but I think the Maglite Solitaire LED is a great AAA flashlight. Small and light, enough lumens for everyday use, and cheap ($10). Doesn't have any modes and wouldn't be good as a defensive or emergency situation, but still a good cheap option, especially if you travel and want something you don't care if it gets lost or damaged. I do hope to get my hands on some of the other lights mentioned though.

• KlaudeMarks likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users