Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo

2017 Knives. It's that time of year again.

19 replies to this topic

#1 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:00 AM

We're one week away from Shot Show 2017 where the industry shows off their new offerings for the year. A good few manufacturers have come out ahead of the convention and released news of some of their offerings. This includes Benchmade,  Boker, CRKT, Coldsteel. I'm not going to put any links. You can easily find info on these from retailers like Knifecenter or news sites like Knifenews. Theres quite a few I find interesting already.

For benchmade, they got a new model called the 560 FREEK. Its a budget model around $120 that seems to want to fill the hole that the griptilian left when it got its upgrade and the now discontinued HK Axis. Looks decent.

CRKT has a few interesting offerings. They are coming out with a budget version of their premium Ken Onion hi-jinx. I'm not too hot on the 1.4116 steel they are using for it but it's still the hi jinx. They also have a new model coming called the Batum designed by Jesper Voxnaes. It's a budget knife but has a very sexy Voxnaes design. One to take a look at. The fossil gets a brand new version called the Fossil black. The g10 scales are a different color and the blade has a new shape. Some of you like that knife, so check it out.

Coldsteel doesn't have a very favorable audience here but they have a few good looking offerings. We all know that their full line got an upgrade last year. They upgraded the steel and cost so it brought their knives to a whole different price point. Well this year, they are bringing a bunch of new models that fall in the budget area. Many cheaper even. They use steels like aus8 and german 4116. At that price point and maintaining key features like the tri-ad lock, theyre worth looking at.

This is just some examples. We're gonna see a lot more as Shot show comes. Chime in guys. There's going to be something for everybody.

• Arnie likes this

#2 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Looking forward to shot show and the new Benchmade gear and firearms.
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#3 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

Looking forward to shot show and the new Benchmade gear and firearms.

Benchmade has already put out their full listing. You can check em out on knifecenter (not promoting them. they just have the listings all in one place for easy access). Got some good looking offerings.

#4 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

Last couple years, i couldn't get myself to recommend any Kershaw imported models because they were slowly decreasing in quality. But you guys have got to see the new Kershaw Natrix. It is an import model but it is straight up based on the ZT0770. AND it has a sub-framelock and the fuller. Apparently its the same size as the 0770 too.The first thing i thought was wtf. It is hard not to get excited about this knife

https://kershaw.kaiu...es/knife/natrix

#5 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:17 AM

Meh.
Kershaw+framelock+subpar Chinese steel=FAIL
YMMV.
  • coldwater likes this

#6 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

$35, its design, and its history. I will be getting one for the hell of it. But i do agree, it deserved a usa version or at least higher grade steel. You never know, maybe later it can see a upgraded version. Not out of the question to keep it china made for lower cost. It sure could use that new carbon fiber overlay that kershaw is doing this year

#7 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

Meh.
Kershaw+framelock+subpar Chinese steel=FAIL
YMMV.

Other than that, great knife! :)

#8 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

Flipper only seems to be the overwhelming trend. Nothing wrong with a flipper but i like to have a good ol thudstud with that

#9 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

Flipper only seems to be the overwhelming trend. Nothing wrong with a flipper but i like to have a good ol thudstud with that

I have two flippers.  One is a CZ and its an over priced poorly designed knife. Never again.. The other is a Benchmade. I love everything about that knife except the flipper, which I ended up hating so I removed it completely. I have become pretty narrow minded with my folders, and over time, have found that no other maker comes close to what BM brings to the table for the price, and at any price, they just don't get better, just more expensive. Most of my BM's are assisted opening, and they all have that best of the best lock.

#10 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

I have two flippers.  One is a CZ and its an over priced poorly designed knife. Never again.. The other is a Benchmade. I love everything about that knife except the flipper, which I ended up hating so I removed it completely. I have become pretty narrow minded with my folders, and over time, have found that no other maker comes close to what BM brings to the table for the price, and at any price, they just don't get better, just more expensive. Most of my BM's are assisted opening, and they all have that best of the best lock.

The CH3504 I carry daily now is a flipper only. Flippers are great and I understand that flippers have made manual knives much more accessible to people. Called me old fashioned but I find Thumbstud deployment is a more satisfying method of opening knives because it is a learned skill.

#11 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

The CH3504 I carry daily now is a flipper only. Flippers are great and I understand that flippers have made manual knives much more accessible to people. Called me old fashioned but I find Thumbstud deployment is a more satisfying method of opening knives because it is a learned skill.

It's not that it's difficult or tedious to open, but I find them somewhat indecisive when deployed. It demands a dedicated hard snap to fully and safely snap into the fully open position. I also dislike the "hump" on the blade to operate it. With my assisted open blades, a quick lift and it does the rest, leaving me to concentrate on the task. I have a police officer friend that owns only Benchmade auto knives, and I find them awkward as well in that you have to hunt around for that little button to launch the blade. Hell, everyone has their favorites, and that's great for the industry. IMy biggest gripe is a company that asks too much money for marginal quality, and depends on "tacticool" names and outlandish awesome designs to lure the unsuspecting buyer into parting with their money. Sadly, I got sucked in by the cooing and fawning of CZ owners about how amazing the knife is. I loved it out of the box and carried it for weeks before figuring out it was all hype. To date, it's the biggest screwing I have gotten on a knife buy. 

#12 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

It's not that it's difficult or tedious to open, but I find them somewhat indecisive when deployed. It demands a dedicated hard snap to fully and safely snap into the fully open position. I also dislike the "hump" on the blade to operate it. With my assisted open blades, a quick lift and it does the rest, leaving me to concentrate on the task. I have a police officer friend that owns only Benchmade auto knives, and I find them awkward as well in that you have to hunt around for that little button to launch the blade. Hell, everyone has their favorites, and that's great for the industry. IMy biggest gripe is a company that asks too much money for marginal quality, and depends on "tacticool" names and outlandish awesome designs to lure the unsuspecting buyer into parting with their money. Sadly, I got sucked in by the cooing and fawning of CZ owners about how amazing the knife is. I loved it out of the box and carried it for weeks before figuring out it was all hype. To date, it's the biggest screwing I have gotten on a knife buy. 

I'm not familiar with these CZ knives you mention. what are they

#13 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

I'm not familiar with these CZ knives you mention. what are they

Now I feel like an idiot. I'm stuck in gun mode. ZT knives, I meant Zero Tolerance. ( I'll assume it means zero tolerance to build a knife worth the cost)

#14 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

Now I feel like an idiot. I'm stuck in gun mode. ZT knives, I meant Zero Tolerance. ( I'll assume it means zero tolerance to build a knife worth the cost)

Ah ok. Personally I have had good experiences with ZT. I own the 0566, 0550 3rd gen, and the 0562. Yes, I like the Hinderer designs. Out of curiosity, which one did you try that you didn't like.

#15 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Ah ok. Personally I have had good experiences with ZT. I own the 0566, 0550 3rd gen, and the 0562. Yes, I like the Hinderer designs. Out of curiosity, which one did you try that you didn't like.

It's been kind of forgotton and lives in a tool box...I think...(can't remember where it is actually) But I think it was a 350. It was in the $150 range.

#16 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

Well to be fair the CZ75s are pretty awesome pistols... But hehe...

#17 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Well to be fair the CZ75s are pretty awesome pistols... But hehe...

You're killn me here.....

#18 Lucca DeBiaso

Lucca DeBiaso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

From the little I've seen from SHOT I was kinda disappointed about the mid-range price point items. I'd really like to see some $40 - $75 options that perform well. I'm kinda sick of how expensive EDC has gotten. I know lower price point items like Openiel and Ontario Rat 1's and 2's exist but any new stuff that is quality? As I said I don't mind up to $75 but not $200 - 300. Kinda bored with the lack of innovation on the middle tier.  

#19 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

From the little I've seen from SHOT I was kinda disappointed about the mid-range price point items. I'd really like to see some $40 - $75 options that perform well. I'm kinda sick of how expensive EDC has gotten. I know lower price point items like Openiel and Ontario Rat 1's and 2's exist but any new stuff that is quality? As I said I don't mind up to $75 but not $200 - 300. Kinda bored with the lack of innovation on the middle tier.

I do agree that the midrange has been largely neglected. Understandable because the steels and handle materials people like these days push production folders well above $100. I was disappointed that Boker did not have much to show in their Plus line. Those Boker Plus usually has some solid designs in that mid range. In terms of midrange, the one that comes to mind is the Steel Will Cutjack in D2 steel and FRN. Solid design and d2 is a good steel. This version will be around $50 as opposed to the higher end versions with m390 and g10 or carbon fiber for upwards of $200. They also showed a few prototypes that looked pretty nice. I'm personally interested in that f25 prototype they were showing.

If you want something of quality for $75, look up the ch3504. I dont know how you feel about knives straight out of china but i vouch for this knife. S35vn blade, anodized titanium framelock, ceramic ball bearings. I made a post about it in the forums. Check it out.
  • Lucca DeBiaso likes this

#20 Lucca DeBiaso

Lucca DeBiaso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users