Do you want this keychain tool??

3 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Could use some opinions!  I was hunting for a decent, useable screwdriver for my keychain, and came up with nothing.  So I designed and 3D printed this:

20170109_191224_zpsw26r5ifh.jpg

20170109_191358_zpsscaxraqh.jpg

20170109_191624_zpsuow0qelz.jpg

It uses standard sized bits available at any hardware store so I can customize it to what I expect to need.  I'm working on a clever keychain quick-disconnect.

If it interests others I can explore the possibility of machining this out of aluminum and/or titanium.  Please let me know what you think!!

#2 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

Okay then, lol. I'm suprised that there aren't more practical screwdrivers out there for EDC. Lots of one piece "multi-tools" shaped like animals though...

#3 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Its a pretty good design. But its bulk doesnt lend well to most people's keychains. Thats what makes those one piece keychain tools so popular. They are flat and don't add any more bulk than and extra key. If you go into the kind of bulk that your tool has, people rather have something like a gerber dime or leatherman squirt or a sak classic that adds more versatility and less bulk. This is not a slam on your design. I personally think you did a good job. But its hard to find a fit for it in the kind of keychain edc most people see here

#4 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback Darren! I think you have a point. For me personally, the Dime and Juice don't seem to offer much for usefulness. I just need a decent screwdriver with more than just Phillips and flathead. Maybe that has to do more with me being in Canada...we see more hex and Robertson screws. If it were up to me, all screws would be Robertson!

Here's a pic for size reference:
20170114_190915_zpshlgshenr_edit_1484451

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users