#1 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:54 AM

I was curious if anyone has a preferred earplug for hunting. I have over the ear protection for the range but was looking to replace a pair of old earplugs for hunting.
I have seen some good reviews of a couple of earplugs from Surefire, either the EP6 https://www.amazon.c...headphcompar-20
Or their EP4
https://www.amazon.c...?tag=h1111-20
Does anyone have experience with either?
Unfortunately I don't get to hunt often enough to justify shelling out the money for the electronic earplugs some companies make, which seem to have some very good features.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

#2 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

I recently purchased some Decibullz, and I am absolutely loving them.

Kind of like a mouth guard, you drop the earplugs into boiling water, then mold them to your ears. Super easy, 31 NRR, and only $25 on Amazon.

#3 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

I recently purchased some Decibullz, and I am absolutely loving them.

Kind of like a mouth guard, you drop the earplugs into boiling water, then mold them to your ears. Super easy, 31 NRR, and only $25 on Amazon.

Thanks Nathaniel.

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

Good question, and one that requires some thought. Hunting covers a lot of ground. What you hunt, where you hunt, and how you hunt. Overall, I do not believe in wearing hearing protection when hunting. I need my ears open situational awareness. Ground hunting wild boar is dangerous, and those damned pigs are fast. If I can't hear them they'll be on you in a second. Same with stand hunting over deer or turkey. They move quietly and I need to know where they are when they present. I have never found a need for protection when shotgun hunting. The report is not that bad and far enough in front of me that it's not a problem. Hand guns are tough, but when hunting black bear or boar on foot, I keep them out for ovbious reasons. If I'm stationary and have a few seconds to react, i'll pop the Sens Gards in before taking the shot. If I'm in a blind with other hunters, the Sens Gards stay in! If i'm ridge sitting calling in coyotes, I'll be behind an AR rifle, which has a pretty harsh report. For this application, again, they hang on my neck till I can engage The Sens Gards are light as a feather, pretty cheap at between $15 / $20,  and quick to pop on. As an added bonus, you can actually have conversation when wearing them because of the odd design. 

#5 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

Good question, and one that requires some thought. Hunting covers a lot of ground. What you hunt, where you hunt, and how you hunt. Overall, I do not believe in wearing hearing protection when hunting. I need my ears open situational awareness. Ground hunting wild boar is dangerous, and those damned pigs are fast. If I can't hear them they'll be on you in a second. Same with stand hunting over deer or turkey. They move quietly and I need to know where they are when they present. I have never found a need for protection when shotgun hunting. The report is not that bad and far enough in front of me that it's not a problem. Hand guns are tough, but when hunting black bear or boar on foot, I keep them out for ovbious reasons. If I'm stationary and have a few seconds to react, i'll pop the Sens Gards in before taking the shot. If I'm in a blind with other hunters, the Sens Gards stay in! If i'm ridge sitting calling in coyotes, I'll be behind an AR rifle, which has a pretty harsh report. For this application, again, they hang on my neck till I can engage The Sens Gards are light as a feather, pretty cheap at between $15 / $20,  and quick to pop on. As an added bonus, you can actually have conversation when wearing them because of the odd design. 

I primarily bird hunt, duck mostly.  I took a shot at a sage grouse once that popped up unexpectedly before I had a chance to have ear plugs in and my ears rang for days.  I just don't want to take any risk with my hearing.

#6 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

Good topic, I'm interested in what others have found that works well.

For hunting foul (ie. pheasant) with my over-under, I don't tend to wear anything for hearing protection, mostly because as an amateur hunter I don't usually have much occasion to pull the trigger - however, if I was sure we'd actually see some birds a few times that day, I'd probably throw on my cheap electronic muffs or some ear plugs. Deer and coyote hunting with my Scout .308, I honestly plan on not having to take a shot, for fear of hearing damage, since I need the situational awareness and won't wear ear-pro. Shooting trap, simple plugs. At the indoor range, I usually double up with both plugs and muffs.

My hope is that the Hearing Protection Act gets passed this year - the best hearing protection for motor vehicles is a muffler, no reason the same can't be true for firearms.

#7 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

I just purchased the EP6 https://www.amazon.c...headphcompar-20

I am heading down to Arkansas in a couple of weeks for a duck hunt, I will report back on how they perform.

#8 Q-Bert

Q-Bert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:51 PM

As a car audio installer of 20 years my hearing is trash anyway lmao. the only time I use hearing protection is when I am at the range and they are cheap OSHA ear plugs we buy in bulk at the shop. as for when I am out hunting I never use protection for the same reasons others have stated situational awareness. also when I am out at my buddys house killing paper with my pistols never use it there either because If I were to ever have to use my sidearm I probably wouldn't have a chance to stop and put on protection. But in no way do I endorse or condone my actions. lmRRao. Now if we were talking eye protection Oakley is where my heart lies and I pretty much never take those off.

#9 Speed

Speed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

I've had a lot of experience with those Surefire Plugs and lost a lot of them too, LOL whether on the range or in actual operations. and just my opinion I don't like them or think they are very effective. If you have the time or chance to put on some earpro. I would suggest Sordin, gives you the hearing protection and also lets you be more aware of the situation with it amplifying ambient noises. It would be good for hunting. I also wouldn't recommend the cheaper electronic earpro's available out there, they tend to short out after 3 days of use (hot and humid climate). 

#10 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

Speed, you were right about the Surfire plugs, I was not impressed.
I spent two days this weekend hunting ducks and geese and while my ears are fine, I found I was constantly fiddling with the plugs to make sure they were jammed in well to seal my ear. Twice when someone in my blind shot near me my ear rang, it went away in a about a minute or so but I was not happy with that.
I was hunting with two buddies of mine in Arkansas, both of whom live there, lease farmland to hunt on and so have the opportunity during the season to do so regularly. They both used to just wear earplugs but have recently switched to over the ear protection, one of which was this
http://www.cabelas.c...t/104381280.uts
Their two young sons were with us and they wore the same. As one of my friends (we are all late 40's) explained, he had recently experience some intermittent ringing in his ears and went to the ear doctor. Following a hearing test the doctor explained that his test was fine, except that when it got to higher pitched sounds, it dropped off sharply. The doctor attributed it to repeated shotgun use. That convinced my friend to go for more substantial hearing protection.
They all actually joke down there how the most common word in a blind is "huh?" There is definite truth to that as I met a couple of guys who are guides down there who have hearing problems from not wearing any protection, one guy, who was my age, actually had a hearing aid in each ear.
I am definitely going the over the ear route from now on and will likely buy the model I linked to above. It did not impede my friends shooting one bit and they were able to hear birds approaching out of eyesight. I love to hunt and will be introducing my young son to it next season. My hearing is too important to take any chances with and that is something I will stress to him as well.

#11 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

I was actually about to recommend the Impact Sports, but held back when I read you wanted in ear.

Now that you brought them up, I can confirm they are simply incredible. Low profile, great value, and very effective. Great choice.

#12 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

I was actually about to recommend the Impact Sports, but held back when I read you wanted in ear.

Now that you brought them up, I can confirm they are simply incredible. Low profile, great value, and very effective. Great choice.

Thanks, I just ordered a pair for my son and I.

#13 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

Gonna have to agree with Nate.
They're a spectacular pair of Earpro.
I own a pair of Howard Leights, along with everyone whom I shoot weekly. And most military owns them as well, when shooting recreationally
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#14 C RHODES

C RHODES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationALBUQUERQUE, NM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

I just picked up a pair of Howard Leights Impact Sports this week, I have not had a chance to try them out but plan on heading to the range this weekend if the weather is good.  Amazon has them for like 40.00, and you can pick up the hard case for them for about $14.00. 

#15 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

I just picked up a pair of Howard Leights Impact Sports this week, I have not had a chance to try them out but plan on heading to the range this weekend if the weather is good.  Amazon has them for like 40.00, and you can pick up the hard case for them for about $14.00. 

Duck hunting season is winding down but I am using my new pair in my office as well.  They are great at combating some of the loud talkers I sit near.

• C RHODES likes this

#16 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

Plus you can use them to listen to music on top of drowning out the loud talkers....
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users