Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

Why I won't fill out my Profile on EDC (Request)

5 replies to this topic

#1 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

I don't mind filling out things like my location (as long as I can be general and not specific) or gender (okay, I'll be specific here :lol: ).

But WHY can't I just not answer the birthdate question?  I'd rather leave it blank or enter "N/A" or "I was born during the Kennedy Administration" than enter false information just to protect my identity.  And really, it's a sweet thought, but I'm not expecting a birthday card from EDC.  ^_^

If you need to understand your demographics, then "birth year" or "what is your age range" would work for me. 

Oh, maybe you need me to somehow certify that I'm not a minor...but that would be kind of silly since you don't really sell anything directly or host the types of forum topics that might require that you know the minor status of participants, do you?  But okay, if you need to know I'm not a minor, then I'm sure we could probably figure out a way to do that.

But why do you need my birthDATE?

It seems that I can't fill out ANY of my profile without that info, and so the merry-go-round continues.

Thanks for listening!

#2 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Hi Stentorian,

The requirement for age in your profile is to help give us an idea of the different age groups that use the site so we can produce content that they would enjoy seeing.  As for why you can't skip it, that's just how our developers coded the site.  I agree it would be a nice quality of life change for it to be optional, but with our developers current workload it's very unlikely this will change anytime soon.  

The only solution i can offer at this time is to just enter a false birthday and set it to not appear.  I apologize for the inconvenience.

• Lucca DeBiaso likes this

#3 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

I thought I was not getting a birthday gift, not even a card, because I was a gator. I was going to ask my fellow animal the walrus but you know, he might have been in the great birthday gift conspiracy so I didn't know if I could trust him. Come on you can be honest with me.  You'll just don't like me 'cause I'm sure every one else got some really nifty gifts. Ah, to be one of the in kids. Is it a conspiracy if they really don't like you?  :ph34r:    

• Lucca DeBiaso likes this

#4 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

Funny; thanks Wally!

Admin:  Thanks for your response, but again...I'd be HAPPY to fill out my profile if I could give truthful but less specific information.

An identity thief needs only a few bits of information to do his work:  Social Security number, Name, Birthdate.  If he can get two of those things, then he can probably find anything else fairly easily.

This is fairly common knowledge, so I submit to you (and your developers) that "profile participation" rates would be MUCH higher if we were not asked for such detailed sensitive information such as full birth date.

I appreciate your suggestion to use a false date, but I won't do that, mostly because it won't do anything to motivate EDC to do the right thing here and reconsider the policy.  My profile will remain at 29% until the policy/coding is changed.

Thanks.  I think.

#5 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Funny; thanks Wally!

Admin:  Thanks for your response, but again...I'd be HAPPY to fill out my profile if I could give truthful but less specific information.

An identity thief needs only a few bits of information to do his work:  Social Security number, Name, Birthdate.  If he can get two of those things, then he can probably find anything else fairly easily.

This is fairly common knowledge, so I submit to you (and your developers) that "profile participation" rates would be MUCH higher if we were not asked for such detailed sensitive information such as full birth date.

I appreciate your suggestion to use a false date, but I won't do that, mostly because it won't do anything to motivate EDC to do the right thing here and reconsider the policy.  My profile will remain at 29% until the policy/coding is changed.

Thanks.  I think.

I'll forward your feedback to our dev team.

#6 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users