Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

Security and Privacy Tips for Posting Gear Photos?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Maddy

Maddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:01 AM

Howdy,

I've been around since the Tumblr days, but only joined this new version recently. Since you all have been posting for a while, I'm wondering what your take is on the security concerns of posting all your gears on the site?

Call me paranoid - but that's why I'm interested in survival gear - I always wondered if posting my gear up would be attracting people to rob or hack. Given how connected we are today, a robber or hacker might as well Google us before their theft. Our EDC would come right up, and they would find out what exactly they can steal and what defense we would have.

One thing I know for sure is to never post a picture of your house keys in full. With today's scanning technologies (e.g. Key.me), it's pretty easy to robbers to manufacture a copy of your key with only a photograph, and it can be done quickly overnight and be picked up at RiteAid at midnight. I see quite many keys here linked to real names, and I feel that they might want to be aware of this.

Also, car keys suggest what cars you might have, and some cars are more prone to theft and hacking than others.

Second, I'll probably recommend reddit-level privacy measures here... which means no traces to real name. I noticed that a few of the EDC-ers here do use real name though.

Third, which I think is pretty obvious, is to verify twice if any of your personal info is in your gear photo, which means no IDs, no credit cards, no traces of addresses, etc.

And I guess it doesn't hurt to put a knife there as a deterrent. B)

Thoughts? Maybe some sort of guidelines on these issues?

#2 Lucca DeBiaso

Lucca DeBiaso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

Good points. All valid. I completely agree with you on the key issue. The kind of people that go through here tend to be privacy respecting individuals. Someone intending to cause me harm would find me through another platform. No petty thief is going to be trolling EDC forums. In addition most people that come through here don't live anywhere near me. Those things combined add another slight layer of protection. That said I have few enemies. Security is up to the individual. 

#3 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

That's exactly why we included a blur tool in our last update to the submission process.  You can blur anything you don't want appearing on your edc image!  But a better alternative is to just not take pictures of sensitive information and post it online! :)

• coldwater likes this

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

^ werd...

#5 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:51 AM

I'm also careful to scrub photo metadata before posting to forums.  You could be doing everything else right in your attention to security, but your smartphone or newer digital camera could shoot that all to hell by helpfully providing your GPS coordinates to anybody who happens to download your pictures.  :o  

Now everybody'll know that you shot that picture of your expensive gear with a Nikon full-frame camera with a nice Sigma lens at F11 and 1/250th of a second.  AND they'll know where they can come for a midnight acquisition of the gear AND camera!  Come and get it!  <_<

Call me paranoid, but my advice is to scrub-a-dub-dub or else don't take any pictures of your gear at your home.  Sure, the people at Denny's might look at you funny using one of their four-tops for still photos, but at least you can tip them really good before you leave.  B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users